Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
EV vs. ICE

According to this article, it shows that the EV's are less reliable than their ICE counterparts.

It also appears that the MME is in the middle of the pack so to speak in comparison to the models that were being reviewed.

It goes on to say that because the ICE vehicles have been around much longer, that gives it a distinct advantage of bugs being worked out.

Hopefully Ford corrects many of the "defects" that are being posted and we can drive without anxiety going forward.

Stay tuned...............
Sponsored

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
I think the basis of EV vs ICE Is the zero emissions from EV, better for environment, less maintenance etc. Being more reliable than ICE I don't think is primary reason of buying an EV over ICE. otherwise I would get a Honda in AWD. Or VTEC civic lol.

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
right, I think the lack of regular maintenance like oil changes probably makes up for the lower reliability. Granted that's easy for me to say because I haven't had any issues yet.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
EV vs. ICE

According to this article, it shows that the EV's are less reliable than their ICE counterparts.

It also appears that the MME is in the middle of the pack so to speak in comparison to the models that were being reviewed.

It goes on to say that because the ICE vehicles have been around much longer, that gives it a distinct advantage of bugs being worked out.

Hopefully Ford corrects many of the "defects" that are being posted and we can drive without anxiety going forward.

Stay tuned...............
Is any of that surprising? The EV platforms are completely new designs for the most part with an extreme emphasis on software.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There’s literally zero data about ICE vehicles in the article comparing EV to ICE? Interesting…

All of these are First Gen and First/Second/Third year vehicles too… any brand new product has a lower initial quality score than a evolution model which is where the majority of ICE vehicles are now because auto mfg turned most of their new product development teams onto BEV. ICE are just getting refreshes for the most part.

I would also wonder how the average time in the shop getting work done (including maintenance) would compare between ICE and EV… because a lot of these software issues that get reported to CR are resolved without taking the car to a dealer. From my perspective time I can’t drive the car because it’s being worked on is the main metric that matters. All features working consistently is a close second, but it’s more of an irritation to me that things like PAAK having issues for a few months but was fixed without dealer intervention (in my case).

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I also find it super strange that EV6 and ioniq 5 are so far apart, they’re basically the same platform aren’t they? Data doesn’t pass the sanity check.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Another thought on this EV vs ICE reliablity thing is that you still have an ICE, as most of us. Buying an EV helps lessen the use of that ICEV which trickles down. So in a sense its making some reliability contribution if not for the EV itself but for ICEV in some aspects.

SpongeBad

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MACH E, 2013 Ford Escape
Country flag
I also find it super strange that EV6 and ioniq 5 are so far apart, they’re basically the same platform aren’t they? Data doesn’t pass the sanity check.
They don't really share much about the methodology. Certainly not enough to be able to come to any firm conclusions around what kind of flaws may be present.

I assume it's got to be some kind of "per capita" analysis, because if not, then the tiny numbers of sales of some of these cars is going to skew things. The EV6 and Ioniq 5 difference could simply be that the Ioniq 5 has been out a bit longer and has sold more units, so there are more people with cars to report problems. Do they require a minimum number of owners reporting back before they include a car in their analysis, or do they do some kind of math based on responses vs. units sold into the marketplace? You also have to layer on that people with problems and people who are more annoyed by minor issues are significantly more likely to respond to a survey in the first place.

It's much like this forum - if you used it to do an "analysis" of MACH-E reliability, you'd come to the conclusion that the cars are constantly breaking down. The reality is that most people (myself included) are just happily driving around without any issues, so don't have much to say.

The car isn't perfect (e.g. I have to reboot the infotainment system more often than I'd like), but any issues I've had can be firmly placed in the "early adopter issues" camp and I knew what I was signing up for. I don't say that to discount the serious issues many have had, however (e.g. the HVJB issues are very real, and a serious issue).

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The magazine doesn’t test every car on the market. Instead, it asks its readers to report problems they’ve had in the last 12 months, then compiles the results for vehicles built since 2000. As a result, its data set is limited to the cars CR subscribers own.

Can we agree that this is hardly scientific and should be taken with a giant grain of salt?

That said, I'm okay with the MME being relatively low on the reliability chart. That's the logical outcome of Ford handling the HVBJB situation as they did (not to mention other issues.....my headlight knob doesn't even work reliably).
Sponsored