First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
  • Banned
For the people who purchased MME already or soon to take delivery , is there any custom extended warranty plan available for EV. I was directed from Ford website to Ford options for extended warranty plan but most product detail ICE COVERAGE. particularly EV HAS Many computer modules / sensors/ wiring / screen/ computer etc that may go bad once basic warranty expires .
Certainly the parts and labor of electronic compnent are going to expensive . ( Just analogy of if you break iPhone scrreen and paying out of pocket to fix the iPhone screen)

most warranty plans don’t give you details of the electronic coverage.
Any advise ?
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
For the people who purchased MME already or soon to take delivery , is there any custom extended warranty plan available for EV. I was directed from Ford website to Ford options for extended warranty plan but most product detail ICE COVERAGE. particularly EV HAS Many computer modules / sensors/ wiring / screen/ computer etc that may go bad once basic warranty expires .
Certainly the parts and labor of electronic compnent are going to expensive . ( Just analogy of if you break iPhone scrreen and paying out of pocket to fix the iPhone screen)

most warranty plans don’t give you details of the electronic coverage.
Any advise ?
Lombard Ford sold me the Ford extended warranty at a huge discount. When I showed the price to the finance guy at my dealer he said "buy it--that is an incredible price." I went to their site and looked at pricing, got a quote, etc. Within a day or so, got an email with an additional $228 off. I was concerned it might not be legit but the plan now shows up in my FordPass. I went with a seven year plan even though I am unlikely to keep it that long. Figured it would help sell the car since it is transferable. I paid $10 extra to get coverage for all the LED lights. https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com

lombard ext warranty quote.jpg

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
  • Banned
Lombard Ford sold me the Ford extended warranty at a huge discount. When I showed the price to the finance guy at my dealer he said "buy it--that is an incredible price." I went to their site and looked at pricing, got a quote, etc. Within a day or so, got an email with an additional $228 off. I was concerned it might not be legit but the plan now shows up in my FordPass. I went with a seven year plan even though I am unlikely to keep it that long. Figured it would help sell the car since it is transferable. I paid $10 extra to get coverage for all the LED lights. https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com
Does the quote include every thing that could go wrong with electronic components? Or is it generic coverage for ICE.
I tried to fill their form and here is what I got.
Now 50000 mile is basic coverage anyways so why pay 2400-2800 for additional 10000 miles .

what are the details of your coverage

A563A23B-1DA7-4B55-9C23-C81DD1CB43EF.png

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The Electric Vehicle Components are covered for 8 years/100K miles.

Since the extended plan starts when purchased, no point in shopping for a warranty before 3 years or 36K miles.

It's an insurance product so you can't expect it to "pay for itself" in most cases. That said, almost $3K for 3 years of coverage seems very steep to me. YMMV.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does the quote include every thing that could go wrong with electronic components? Or is it generic coverage for ICE.
I tried to fill their form and here is what I got.
Now 50000 mile is basic coverage anyways so why pay 2400-2800 for additional 10000 miles .

what are the details of your coverage

A563A23B-1DA7-4B55-9C23-C81DD1CB43EF.png
84 months. 48,000 miles. Premium Care Plan. $50 deductible. First day rental (was $10 extra). Interior/Exterior Lighting (was $30 extra). Original Plan Price $979. After $228 discount cost was $751 plus the $10 and the $30 for grand total of $791. I have written confirmation that the plan covers the EV components including motors. Just ran the numbers at their site again and got the same pre-discount pricing. I listed my car as in Wisconsin, less than 12 months old, with factory warranty, with 120 miles on odometer.

When I look up 6 years and 60,000 mile coverage with $100 deductible for Premium plan, I get $914 before discounts.

Here is the reply I got from Lombard when I emailed to ask about coverage for the Mach-E: "Yes, the electric motor would be covered by the Premiumcare level. The Premiumcare coverage is so comprehensive, you only need to view the non-covered parts list which can be found in the middle bottom of page two of the brochure."

Ford Mustang Mach-E Extended warranty. lombard ext warranty quote

Last edited:
OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
  • Banned
84 months. 48,000 miles. Premium Care Plan. $50 deductible. First day rental (was $10 extra). Interior/Exterior Lighting (was $30 extra). Original Plan Price $979. After $228 discount cost was $751 plus the $10 and the $30 for grand total of $791. I have written confirmation that the plan covers the EV components including motors. Just ran the numbers at their site again and got the same pre-discount pricing. I listed my car as in Wisconsin, less than 12 months old, with factory warranty, with 120 miles on odometer.

When I look up 6 years and 60,000 mile coverage with $100 deductible for Premium plan, I get $914 before discounts.

Here is the reply I got from Lombard when I emailed to ask about coverage for the Mach-E: "Yes, the electric motor would be covered by the Premiumcare level. The Premiumcare coverage is so comprehensive, you only need to view the non-covered parts list which can be found in the middle bottom of page two of the brochure."

Ford Mustang Mach-E Extended warranty. lombard ext warranty quote
I appreciate your input. But the dilemma here is there are so many electronic components which may not be listed in the the detail. When they are selling the warranty, they will say it’s all covered but in case you actually need it covered , the dealer will say it that part is not listed. ( as mostly ICE parts would be listed)

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I appreciate your input. But the dilemma here is there are so many electronic components which may not be listed in the the detail. When they are selling the warranty, they will say it’s all covered but in case you actually need it covered , the dealer will say it that part is not listed. ( as mostly ICE parts would be listed)
There is a specific list of what is not covered.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I took the Lombard warranty print out in when I purchased. Did the 84/100 with $100 deductible. They beat the Lombard price by $100. I was going to wait but compared to what Jeep usually quotes me for warranties, it seemed worth it.

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Iunderstand but these warranty products are not written for Specifically for EV. I am looking for a warranty product just for EV. Not only I will be overpaying with this Lombardi product but it may not cover many electronic component but cover ICE Part which DOESNOT exist.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Iunderstand but these warranty products are not written for Specifically for EV. I am looking for a warranty product just for EV. Not only I will be overpaying with this Lombardi product but it may not cover many electronic component but cover ICE Part which DOESNOT exist.
If you look at the Premiumcare list of what is covered, you will see that it includes many items that will not be present on many ICE cars as well. The main thing that would mean you are overpaying would be if the cost of the Ford ESP for your car is more than the cost you can get for a plan for your car elsewhere that covers the same items on your car with the same terms. As long as everything you want covered is covered why does it matter if the list has additional items that are not on your car? Would you pay more for a plan elsewhere just because the Ford ESP plan has items on its list that are not on your car? That said, I agree that coverage should cost less for an EV because it does not have an ICE. However, the Mach-E has a LOT of technology that might not be present on a lot of other cars. It is primarily because of all the tech stuff on this newly designed car that I went for the first extended warranty I have bought in decades. The Ford PremiumCare ESP covers all of that tech on the Mach-E. What it does not cover is clearly listed in the coverage agreement. What I care about with the Ford ESP plan is what IS covered (almost all non maintenance items e.g., wiper blades), what is NOT covered (not much other than some maintenance items), WHO will cover it (any Ford dealer), and what it COSTS. Hopefully, you will find a less expensive plan somewhere with comparable coverage for the Mach-E. If so, let people know so they can save some money!

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
If you look at the Premiumcare list of what is covered, you will see that it includes many items that will not be present on many ICE cars as well. The main thing that would mean you are overpaying would be if the cost of the Ford ESP for your car is more than the cost you can get for a plan for your car elsewhere that covers the same items on your car with the same terms. As long as everything you want covered is covered why does it matter if the list has additional items that are not on your car? Would you pay more for a plan elsewhere just because the Ford ESP plan has items on its list that are not on your car? That said, I agree that coverage should cost less for an EV because it does not have an ICE. However, the Mach-E has a LOT of technology that might not be present on a lot of other cars. It is primarily because of all the tech stuff on this newly designed car that I went for the first extended warranty I have bought in decades. The Ford PremiumCare ESP covers all of that tech on the Mach-E. What it does not cover is clearly listed in the coverage agreement. What I care about with the Ford ESP plan is what IS covered (almost all non maintenance items e.g., wiper blades), what is NOT covered (not much other than some maintenance items), WHO will cover it (any Ford dealer), and what it COSTS. Hopefully, you will find a less expensive plan somewhere with comparable coverage for the Mach-E. If so, let people know so they can save some money!
Thank you for such comprehensive input.I appreciate your detailed points you have made.

However it Doesnot mention main parts of EV like electric motor, Media control unit, internal charger, autonomy driving sensors just to name a few. The main battery is covered for only 100000 but what after that. This warranty Doesnot cover for that.

It just says it includes Unique Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Components (Excluding High-Voltage Battery and Cables)

Sorry but I am not sold . Many of us definitely buy extended warranty and right now we elated by a new car and not focused on such an important issue. Especially all EV will need to be serviced and repaired at dealer and not at any blow joe garage.

Dealers will charge exorbant amount after warranty period if a part is not covered.

I was so surprised when my Toyota had a problem to fix and the service dealer told me they would charge the warranty company X $ and would charge me X + 500$ as they had rate negotiated with warranty company.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
This appears to be an exclusionary warranty. That means it covers everything, expect what is listed in the exclusions. So just check that is the type of warranty it is.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Sorry but I am not sold . Many of us definitely buy extended warranty and right now we elated by a new car and not focused on such an important issue. Especially all EV will need to be serviced and repaired at dealer and not at any blow joe garage.
not to be too blunt but if you're not sold, don't buy it. we're not forcing you to. ;)

I will say that third-party warranties are a giant pain in the ass compared to a manufacturer's plan assuming you're using dealers for service. The dealers do all the paperwork and you just pay the deductible (if one). It's basically magic.

but if you don't believe what we tell you about what the paperwork says, or you read the paperwork and read it differently, don't spend the money. It's your money. :)
Sponsored