eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Question. What is a Pre-Production model???
Sponsored

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Question. What is a Pre-Production model???
Before actual production model. Used to test the tooling and make adjustments prior to full blown production. This is basically done in the actual assembly line versus custom hand built.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Thank you. Is there a large lag time between this and actual production?? I would assume dealers test vehicles would be first.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
With the actual production test units coming off the line, the engineers will better be able to understand how well the target specs line up with the actual real world performance. There may be a difference in how things perform as an integrated system vs. individual systems cobbled together into a handbuilt prototype.

Deleted member 367

The front license plate holder doesn't look right on the car. I hope they ship without it installed so we can attach below the grill.
I agree absolutely. In fact if Ford ships with a front license plate holder attached, I'm out. Yes, out!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I agree absolutely. In fact if Ford ships with a front license plate holder attached, I'm out. Yes, out!
You've made this assertion quite a bit. Honestly, it sounds a little... silly. It's not like Ford teamed up with California to force you to put a plate on because they don't like you, whilst all other manufacturers love you and will pledge undying love for the integrity of your bumper.

If that's the biggest problem you have with the car, well...

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
You've made this assertion quite a bit. Honestly, it sounds a little... silly. It's not like Ford teamed up with California to force you to put a plate on because they don't like you, whilst all other manufacturers love you and will pledge undying love for the integrity of your bumper.

If that's the biggest problem you have with the car, well...
I love it. I live in Cali. Big deal. Mine is in the trunk. FYI cops do NOT pull you over for not having a front plate. If you say get a speeding ticket then they add the missing plate onto the ticket as a second ticket.
In short do not get a moving violation and you are fine.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
It is normally not attached and is left in the trunk then gets installed at the dealer, for both my ST and RS I told the dealer you attached that and I walk. For the RS I attached the front plate using the tow hook while for the ST the plate holder some some clips to attach to the front grill so just added few zip ties to keep it there. At a later date I can removed both plates with out issue for a holes free bumper :).

For the mach-e I will request the same and attach the same way as the RS, I have no problems having to have a front plate, hailing original from across the pond I just find the shape of the usa plates awful, they really just don't work aesthetically, biased opinion I know but to me the shape of euro plates just work.

DMV's like to have to make some additional coin for different colors and custom registrations I would pay extra bucks to have a euro shaped plate. It has plenty of space for the the registration and where you get the country of origin on euro plates you could instead have the state identifier.

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace HSE, Mach E (preorder)
Country flag
I earlier today saw these photos in some news outlet and was happy to read that they said it is the iconic silver which is being shown at this plant which makes me again feel good about my color choice as I was between carbonized grey and iconic silver but ultimately went with Iconic Silver as I found carbonized grey to be a tad too dark. And numerous here I believe have also confirmed this to be the iconic silver color and that looks really nice to my eye.

I can also confirm that these MachEs look so much better in real life then on pictures as I was at the launch here in Norway some weeks ago where they were showcasing the red one in premium setup and extended range 4wd and I was not disappointed.

Ranger Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BRZ, 4Runner
Occupation
Ranger
Country flag
Ford will not ship the Mach-E with a license plate bracket attached, it's the dealers who put it on. Just instruct your dealer not to attach your plate or drill your bumper. It's as easy as that.

Some make you sign a waiver if your state has a front license plate requirement but that's just for the dealer to cover their butts.

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME First Edition (cancelled), Ioniq 5 Project 45
Country flag
Lucky you guys, front license plate is mandatory in Europe (at least, for sure, in France) :(

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Lucky you guys, front license plate is mandatory in Europe (at least, for sure, in France) :(
it's actually mandatory in a lot of states, too but not heavily enforced

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
On the other hand, European plates look much much better due to the width to height ratio.
And the Mach E's bumper seems to have been designed with European plates in mind. Look at the picture below and you'll see what I'm talking about.

In fact, I might even prefer it with a (European) plate than with none at all, as the Mach E's front is a bit bland, to be honest. The only part of the car I don't really like.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Production Mach-E Model? [Update: This Is First Assembly Line Made Pre-Production Unit] 1582816093073

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The GT front is definitely cooler than the standard!

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME First Edition (cancelled), Ioniq 5 Project 45
Country flag
On the other hand, European plates look much much better due to the width to height ratio.
Yes, I agree, you are absolutely right, the ratio indeed makes the difference!
Sponsored