my2ndstang

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Extended AWD Mach E
Country flag
People people, after seeing all these threads how have you guys not done what I did and added some foam to the garage door? If mine ever, ever opens accidentally it will hit soft foam pads on the door. No damage.

For example (I'm sure better pricing is available somewhere else): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081PL3HG1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

And if you want to cover the "joints" of the garage door, you can also buy a roll of foam to roll along it.
Its a great idea. But nobody does it until it happens to them. haha
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Either my garage is higher than most or lots of people have low garage clearance. The hatch on my MME, fully open, is a few feet below the garage door when it's open and WAY lower than the rails when it's closed. I love the kick to open feature, use it all the time. Never tried using the phone or the fob to open it...
Does your hatch fully open when the garage door is closed? That's the issue.

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, backing in won’t work for me because then I would need to drag the EV cord over the top of the car to reach the charge port.

Im setting up the appointment to have the car repaired today and will probably be putting something on the door as well.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess. Never thought about it before. I have always owned houses with standard 2-car garages...
If your open garage door is feet above your open hatch and you can fully open the hatch with your garage door closed, I think you have bigger than a standard 2-car garage.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I was so scared about the opening height of the lift gate I ran a few drills to make sure the height I set was right. I knew it was ok with the garage door open or closed, but I wanted to see if the opener control arm would hit if the lift gate was open and someone opened/closed the garage door. This was my solution for a test. I also padded the control arm and the walls where the doors would hit.

Even with all this, I’m still nervous I didn’t pull in far enough.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FML! Almost sick about it! 4C4F0F54-D527-487A-8298-4028EDAB62DA

Ford Mustang Mach-E FML! Almost sick about it! C3E84F01-5737-4528-A458-2CCD466C4640

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
If your open garage door is feet above your open hatch and you can fully open the hatch with your garage door closed, I think you have bigger than a standard 2-car garage.
Perhaps. It's the same size as in my last home in N. California had. The key is to just pull in far enough so the hatch clears the door.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps. It's the same size as in my last home in N. California had. The key is to just pull in far enough so the hatch clears the door.
Unless there's a wall in front of you :)

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Unless there's a wall in front of you :)
Ah well there is, of course, it's called the house.

With my MME in the garage far enough to allow the hatch to fully clear the closed door, there is about 4 feet between the nose and that wall. I hung a ping-pong ball on a string from the ceiling to hit the windshield and let me know I'm in enough. SO maybe my garage is deeper than yours but all I know is none of this drama is applicable to me - nor likely to any of the houses in this neighborhood - unless I'm not paying attention. :)

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anyone know what I could do to cover this? I worry about it getting wet and corrode. Apparently I can’t get in until mid December.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone know what I could do to cover this? I worry about it getting wet and corrode. Apparently I can’t get in until mid December.
You'll be fine until December. If any surface rust does start, it will come right off when they sand it down to refinish it anyway.

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
So I work from home. This means my car is in the garage while I work. Apparently at some point the fob in my pocket triggered my trunk to open.

some of you probably already know where this is going…

Ford Mustang Mach-E FML! Almost sick about it! C3E84F01-5737-4528-A458-2CCD466C4640

The trunk opened up against the backside of the garage door and I was left with this.

now I wait for the body shop to call and give me a quote on fixing it.

My wife on the other hand is finally able to drive my baby. She said given how much I baby this car she wasn’t gonna drive it until I got my first scratch on it.

learn from my experience and just park your car inside your living room and away from the garage door.
Ummmm, would this have happened if you pulled the front of your vehicle closer to the wall?

One should always check the opening of all doors, trunk, or tailgate when parking in a garage.

Oh well, lesson learned.

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
Clear silicone caulk should work.
Sponsored