Ford Engineers broke my Mach-E because Ford forgot to train anyone how to fix Mach-Es

mccannr1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
I took my Mach-E to get the windshield replaced/recalibrated, and while it was there, I asked them to look at the issue I've been having where the battery will sometimes drain MUCH faster than normal/it should. After a couple days, the dealership called me and said they'd been in touch with Ford engineering who identified an issue and was working with them on an update to a battery system. Ok, fine. Great.

The next day, I get a call saying that the engineer walked them through updating that system, but unfortunately, that update wiped another system out entirely (can't remember the name of it, but it's the system that controls the adaptive cruise-control, regenerative braking, and some other things). They were trying to figure out how to reprogram that now and would call me back the next day.

I get a call late that following day, telling me that the case has been escalated to Ford's "escalated engineering team" (or something like that), because nobody has any idea how to fix this, including that team, and while they're working on it, it may be 3-4 weeks before I get my car back now, which is undrivable because Ford Engineers apparently have no clue how the Mach-E systems work.

I deeply regret buying this car.
Sponsored

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I took my Mach-E to get the windshield replaced/recalibrated, and while it was there, I asked them to look at the issue I've been having where the battery will sometimes drain MUCH faster than normal/it should. After a couple days, the dealership called me and said they'd been in touch with Ford engineering who identified an issue and was working with them on an update to a battery system. Ok, fine. Great.

The next day, I get a call saying that the engineer walked them through updating that system, but unfortunately, that update wiped another system out entirely (can't remember the name of it, but it's the system that controls the adaptive cruise-control, regenerative braking, and some other things). They were trying to figure out how to reprogram that now and would call me back the next day.

I get a call late that following day, telling me that the case has been escalated to Ford's "escalated engineering team" (or something like that), because nobody has any idea how to fix this, including that team, and while they're working on it, it may be 3-4 weeks before I get my car back now, which is undrivable because Ford Engineers apparently have no clue how the Mach-E systems work.

I deeply regret buying this car.
Lemon Laws

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Have they at least given you a loaner? Surely they don't expect you to be without transportation for 3-4 weeks because of their error.

OP
OP

mccannr1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Have they at least given you a loaner? Surely they don't expect you to be without transportation for 3-4 weeks because of their error.
They did, yes. And the people at the dealership have been extremely nice/apologetic about the whole thing. It's not their fault. But I'm not feeling great about making my (rather sizeable) monthly payment to drive around in an Escape.

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
They did, yes. And the people at the dealership have been extremely nice/apologetic about the whole thing. It's not their fault.
You don't actually know that. I've worked for dealerships. When shit happens they're not always up front about it/shift blame for it.

That said. Sorry to hear about your car troubles. Lots of growing pains with this vehicle.

OP
OP

mccannr1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
You don't actually know that. I've worked for dealerships. When shit happens they're not always up front about it/shift blame for it.

That said. Sorry to hear about your car troubles. Lots of growing pains with this vehicle.
Fair point.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Lansing is only maybe a 90 minute drive from Dearborn. I shouldn't think it would take that long to get an engineer over to the dealer.

When my car had the battery issue (February) they had Ford engineers responsible for each of the components working on the car while the dealer tech shadows them to learn how the process works. So it was win for everybody. The extra attention the car got made me feel a lot more confident in the car. Ford isn't just dropping things off and wishing you good luck ... they really ARE paying very careful attention to how things are working and taking action to correct any issues as quickly as possible.

Something else to keep in mind. I think there were three different software engineers from Ford who updated my car. Each one specializes in *their* particular software component(s). So it's possible they spoke to an engineer at Ford who knew their own area of speciality ... but not the others. Rest assured those engineers DO exist ... they just need to reach out to them.

Madeulook

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Dude, same boat. We paid a fortune for the Escape we are currently driving. No one knows how to fix them. 30+ days on mine. Ford should at least remedy growing pains with a vehicle similar in price/features.

SRD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e AWD extended range, Seat Leon FR184
Occupation
Engineer
I'm afraid that there's more than a grain of truth regarding the Ford dealership technicians sometimes being out of their depth, regarding the Mach E.
I'm not sure if they are training technicians who have the correct background or maybe ones that just show willing.
We had an actuator on a rear door stay extended a few weeks ago. I called the garage and they suggested I "slam the door shut, we've found that usually works". So the control system is obviously "witchcraft" to many technicians.
Needless to say I didn't slam the door, I spoke to someone at Ford who went through the procedure to reset it.
Out of interest, does anyone know if the actuators have a fully retracted switch?