Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Having an Apple Watch with cellular seems to allow full use of the Apple Watch app without a phone nearby and without a WiFi connection.
Exactly.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Of course, that’s how the internet works-it’s safe to assume people know this. Your initial response was to my comment that a phone is not technically needed for the watch app to work.
Well, it wasn’t clear you understand WiFi networking from your posts, such as
Apple Watch can connect to any wifi signal, a Phone isn’t required. I’m not saying it’s convenient but it is possible. Say your phone dies and you forget the code to the door. Connect to a nearby wifi and open the doors. Assuming Ford designed the watch app to be standalone.
I’m sorry but there is nothing about an AppleWatch that allows it to connect to any WiFi network, only those that are open on to which you have a login.

Your second statement makes it sound like there is WiFi everywhere in the world. Of course many places like where I’m sitting right now there is none.

Finally, your post assumes that the open doors requires WiFi. Won’t it function via Bluetooth alone?

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Well, it wasn’t clear you understand WiFi networking from your posts, such as

I’m sorry but there is nothing about an AppleWatch that allows it to connect to any WiFi network, only those that are open on to which you have a login.

Your second statement makes it sound like there is WiFi everywhere in the world. Of course many places like where I’m sitting right now there is none.

Finally, your post assumes that the open doors requires WiFi. Won’t it function via Bluetooth alone?
This is hilarious but I’ll keep going because why not.
your response:
“My point is the actions you take on the FordPass app that requires WiFi or celestial signal will only work if you have an iPhone present or have cell service on your Apple Watch”

it appears your didn’t know the Apple Watch had the ability to connect to wifi independently of a phone. That’s okay, no one is judging.
Im quite familiar with technology and I make the assumption that people will understand the very basics like requiring a data connection and the limitations of knowing A wifi password to use it.
You made the opposite assumption that people would be clueless and not how an internet connected device works. In the end, your initial argument was completely different than your current argument, in which the latter supports my initial comment that you felt was wrong.
Also, the watch wont connect to the vehicle with Bluetooth since it’s a completely different device. Therefore, unlocking over bluetooth should not be possible without a phone. One more reason they should have went with Apple CarKey instead- Native Bluetooth signal with a NFC backup would have been perfect.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
it appears your didn’t know the Apple Watch had the ability to connect to wifi independently of a phone.
Nope. I’m quite aware an Apple Watch can connect to WiFi independent of a phone.

Also, the watch wont connect to the vehicle with Bluetooth since it’s a completely different device. Therefore, unlocking over bluetooth should not be possible without a phone. One more reason they should have went with Apple CarKey instead- Native Bluetooth signal with a NFC backup would have been perfect.
That’s unfortunate. While Apple CarKey would have been nice, I had really hoped an AppleWatch could connect to the car using Bluetooth directly.

Rapid Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
Can the Watch connect to the MME's WiFi, if that service is enabled, and function without a phone to unlock and enable the vehicle in that way?

*I don't have an MME (yet) but I do have an Apple Watch with cellular... except... I find the cellular function can be a bit spotty, at least around here, and would not want to rely on the Watch's cellular alone in any situation.
Sponsored