Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
LOL, I will give you $300 toward all your engine oil changes on the Mach-E...
That's fine as long as I can transfer those points towards my other PHEV car or my gf's ICE car or the accessories like floor mats or another charger or...

It's a bit disingenuous, even jokingly, to suggest that the points won't have value to a Mach-E owner. There's even a whole thread on here about how to spend just the right amount to get the highest combination of cash back and points with the minimum amount of effort on the new Ford credit card. And there's been plenty of people saying they will have an ICE vehicle for road trips... people who will in fact continue to get oil changes.

It's not really about the points anyway, it's about the overall impression. It absolutely presents to the public that Bronco purchasers are more important than Mach-E purchasers. That may very well be true for many reasons, but it's not a good look.

Plus, an additional 20,000 points (worth about $100*) as a goodwill gesture for Bronco buyers.
And our goodwill gesture is where?

Purchasers of Mustang Mach-E's equipped with the Active Drive Assist 2.0 Prep Package will receive a $100 cash incentive towards purchase or lease. That's a better offer than $100 worth of limited-use FordPass Rewards points.
While true, that is a completely unrelated point. We don't have a stated reason for this, and I'm not going to speculate (I absolutely have beliefs about it, but not worth the data storage to put them here), but I have very high confidence that it's got nothing to do with the timing of vehicle delivery.

Look ultimately I don't really care about the points per se - I really don't - but I do care about how this looks - a goodwill gesture for the Bronco purchasers that Mach-E purchasers aren't getting (*). It's just not a good situation for Ford to set up here. I absolutely feel that Ford's public presentation here is that a Bronco purchaser's shorter, well-communicated delay is a crisis befitting free sort-of-money while our much longer, crappily-communicated delay isn't worth anything.

Imagine you were a Mach-E purchaser that wasn't on this forum (meaning you knew basically nothing about what was going on, unlike us), but saw this offer. What would you think? Might be hard to imagine that, I admit. But try.

There's an easy fix at this point of course - just throw us the points with the same exact cover email of "oops this sucks have some [vaguely useful, vaguely useless] points".

Actually tbh the better fix would have been to do none of this in the first place... but that's not an option now. I suspect Ford didn't think about this because they didn't intend it to be a slight against Mach-E purchasers - they just didn't think through the bigger picture.

p.s. I've been on here long enough for it to be clear, I think, that I'm not the whiniest person in the world or anything, and I at least try to make an effort to be even-handed. There are absolutely times I complain about things I'm not happy about, but I'm not constantly complaining about every little thing (and in fact there's at least one thread on here where I actively tried to push back on complaining.) This is something that just felt like an (unintentionally!) bad move here.

(*) yes, this is "they got theirs, where's mine?" I know that. There are times that is a legitimate question.
Sponsored