skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
EA BC was a couple weeks out... that was a month or so ago. :( The PaaK update is still only applied at the dealer, no OTA. Ford has major issues and are unable to overcome them in a short period of time. Although one could argue a year for all the software glitches and PaaK failure is too long to wait for a fix.
Sponsored

ThunderDome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME First Edition (Grabber Blue)
Country flag
Mine was also having a temper tantrum yesterday - it wouldn't stop pushing me random, seemingly duplicate/delayed notifications that the SecuriAlert feature was detecting doors and tailgate opening. I chalked it up to not playing nice with my recent iOS 14.8 update and potential problems with the updated FordPass app ... but my wife had the same problems on her iPhone despite not updating her FordPass app for quite a while.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Two words: FOB. And patience.
Makes me thing twice about ordering the car. Not good if general public starts hearing of these problems.

last time I bought a Ford was 1987 or so. car was great, I hope this doesn’t disappoint

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Makes me thing twice about ordering the car. Not good if general public starts hearing of these problems.

last time I bought a Ford was 1987 or so. car was great, I hope this doesn’t disappoint
Meh, keep in mind that this is a place where people post about problems. The majority of people are not on here and/or not affected.

My PAAK and Ford pass have been perfectly fine the last few days.

Is it a problem that needs to be addressed? Yes! Is it a widespread issue that's affecting everyone? Not at all

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag

Software issues with Ford Pass are no reason to consider avoiding the MME. It's maybe the best car I've ever owned.

OP
OP
GW Shark

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
If they're having server issues with Ford Pass I could absolutely see them delaying an OTA rollout. Especially if that rollout includes features that depend on those cloud connected services.
They must be having problems. I thought it might be working but when I opened the app (6pm EDT), it immediately wanted me to set up phone as key. Followed the instructions and got the "cannot connect at this time, try later" message (6 times) at the bluetooth connection screen ( please note I am doing this in the car with it on.) I need to take out a life insurance policy on this key fob!!!

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Software issues with Ford Pass are no reason to consider avoiding the MME. It's maybe the best car I've ever owned.
I hear you, as long as the car starts and windows open I guess you are right

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Man I just can't say anything anymore that is constructive when it comes to FordPass and the software in this car. If the bar for a $50,000 plus car is that the windows roll down and it moves then there is such a major problem with todays consumer and companies will continue to exploit that.

I'm hoping with BC comes out along with the "major" software update that it will resolve a lot of these user experience issues. Software is a core experience when it comes to an EV and apparently Ford did not get the memo. Its not like an ICE car where FordPass was just something cool you could use to increase your experience with the car. Ford is a 53 BILLION dollar company, there is absolutely no excuse for core functionality of the software to be so buggy. The consumer should not be rolling over on their backs and just be like "whelp at least it gets me to work".... A $3,000 used car can get you to work..

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Man I just can't say anything anymore that is constructive when it comes to FordPass and the software in this car. If the bar for a $50,000 plus car is that the windows roll down and it moves then there is such a major problem with todays consumer and companies will continue to exploit that.

I'm hoping with BC comes out along with the "major" software update that it will resolve a lot of these user experience issues. Software is a core experience when it comes to an EV and apparently Ford did not get the memo. Its not like an ICE car where FordPass was just something cool you could use to increase your experience with the car. Ford is a 53 BILLION dollar company, there is absolutely no excuse for core functionality of the software to be so buggy. The consumer should not be rolling over on their backs and just be like "whelp at least it gets me to work".... A $3,000 used car can get you to work..
I agree wholeheartedly with you. Here is the but, and it is unfortunate but when it comes to electronics, we are guinea pigs. Apple, Microsoft , they all give us problem software and update it as time goes along. We all end up being unpaid testers

problem for a car though is getting stuck in a dangerous place or something that causes an accident

if I told my wife everything that I read on this forum she would freak out and never want to drive it.

I am sure mine, if I go thru with it will be a 22 and hopefully some problems will be resolved.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Apple, Microsoft , they all give us problem software and update it as time goes along. We all end up being unpaid testers
Agreed, I've been in the IT field since 1995, I currently work for the 2nd largest network in the WORLD, only second to the internet. While I'm defiantly no software engineer, I can still identify something that was just not ready for release.

My main gripe with the phone software is the charging experience, its ALL over the place. To me, that is a core function of the software, its what the software should had been designed for. I think Ford's downfall is the fact they tried to reuse their old FordPass software and make it work with their EVs. They should had ditched FordPass all together and engineered a new software solution that was designed for EVs from the ground up.

I also have issues with the car's software, but the majority of them are just annoyances and things that are stupid that annoy me. Like today, 15.21 miles driven according to Journey, my "current trip" (after being parked unplugged at work for 4hrs) 51 something miles... Like... I mean... How... Really.....

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
I would just like to point out, as a person familiar with setting up servers and making them accessible on the internet and everything in between, Ford is not always the responsible party for issues related to FordPass. A lot of services work together (different APIs, Webhooks, AT&T IOT network, etc.).

Sure, they may be the most obvious entity deserving of your frustration but there could be other reasons why you are experiencing issues.

Ford, along with TomTom, Garmin, and most other content providers host their servers behind a series of firewalls and proxies. The specific proxy (content delivery network if you want to be precise) that Ford uses is CloudFlare. If CloudFlare is experiencing any issues, their clients will feel it.

Ford, along with a lot of other companies hosts it’s DNS lookups with Amazon at AWS. If Amazon DNS (Route 53) is experiencing any issues, any lookups could be delayed or receive a non-response. If you are using your local provider for DNS lookups, their servers have to talk to Route 53 to get the authoritative address to pass onto you before you can even talk to the Ford servers.

When I look at my logs, I don’t see any historical issues with FordPass (from my monitoring server) as of the last few days. I only keep about 96 hours worth of logs so beyond that is unknown to me.

One more thing, for those of you that are running piHole or some other form of whole-home DNS lookup filtering, be sure to whitelist the entire Ford.com domain so that you don’t find one of the many sub domains it uses on a public blacklist (which can then be fed to piHole, NextDNS, etc).

Hope some of this helps those of you currently experiencing FordPass issues and helps to prevent a few in the future.

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass seems to be throwing a tantrum 0B599A70-7676-44AB-B66F-90C4F4B44D91
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass seems to be throwing a tantrum A7A3ED14-0DA1-41FF-AC63-9935AF8AF088
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass seems to be throwing a tantrum 7BFE818F-7B3A-4EEF-B28A-DC6CE209DFDC

Hope some of this helps those of you currently experiencing FordPass issues and helps to prevent a few in the future.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would just like to point out, as a person familiar with setting up servers and making them accessible on the internet and everything in between, Ford is not always the responsible party for issues related to FordPass. A lot of services work together (different APIs, Webhooks, AT&T IOT network, etc.).

Sure, they may be the most obvious entity deserving of your frustration but there could be other reasons why you are experiencing issues.

Ford, along with TomTom, Garmin, and most other content providers host their servers behind a series of firewalls and proxies. The specific proxy (content delivery network if you want to be precise) that Ford uses is CloudFlare. If CloudFlare is experiencing any issues, their clients will feel it.

Ford, along with a lot of other companies hosts it’s DNS lookups with Amazon at AWS. If Amazon DNS (Route 53) is experiencing any issues, any lookups could be delayed or receive a non-response. If you are using your local provider for DNS lookups, their servers have to talk to Route 53 to get the authoritative address to pass onto you before you can even talk to the Ford servers.

When I look at my logs, I don’t see any historical issues with FordPass (from my monitoring server) as of the last few days. I only keep about 96 hours worth of logs so beyond that is unknown to me.

One more thing, for those of you that are running piHole or some other form of whole-home DNS lookup filtering, be sure to whitelist the entire Ford.com domain so that you don’t find one of the many sub domains it uses on a public blacklist (which can then be fed to piHole, NextDNS, etc).

0B599A70-7676-44AB-B66F-90C4F4B44D91.png
A7A3ED14-0DA1-41FF-AC63-9935AF8AF088.png
7BFE818F-7B3A-4EEF-B28A-DC6CE209DFDC.png

I get it but as I always told my IT people, I am a consumer and just want it to work.

most People are not checking their DNS etc etc.

if there are conflicts let Me know. Don’t tell me everything works fine and then I find out it doesn’t and I can’t get my work done.

unfortunately all this can be frustrating. Everyone can’t be pointing at everyone else.

not easy but when you are paying north of 55k, people get angry

just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
When it comes to communication, 100% agree, its not always Ford and to be honest in most case is probably isn't Ford.

My gripe is with the software in general, they should had dumped FordPass for EVs and designed a new app. Trying to adapt the FordPass app (which to be honest has never been that great) to work with an EV was a cheap copout with the consumer paying the price.

I have kids so I run OpenDNS on my router and use their content blocking. I've wondered if it could be stopping the MME from doing its updates. I tried to go into the car the other day and see about setting a custom DNS server but you can't set one... My car has been hitting the network though, its pulled down like 13.42MB this week and uploaded 7MB of data. Oddly enough 59.61% of that download was done on 9/11.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ok everyone, remember, yesterday was when Apple iPhone 13 orders started. All the inter tubes were being clogged up by the orders. It’s no wonder Ford was having problems. Apple fanpeople worldwide were pressing “BUY NOW” on their Apple iPhone 13 order! Even Goldman Sachs couldn’t keep up with the Apple Card transactions and died ?????
Ford’s galactic supercomputer in Dearborn handling FordPass and Mustang Mach E updates (I.e., the Commodore Vic 20) never stood a chance ???

OP
OP
GW Shark

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Well - I was finally able to reset everything about 24 hours later. Bizarre as it seems - the Fordpass app on my Iphone no longer has the "F" logo as the face of the app button - just white with a bunch of lines - oh well - as long as it works. But I agree - Ford should have sent out a notice if the system was down. (I mean - I did get about a dozen emails from Ford during this re-boot process.). Hey - it's growing pains and we did sign up for it. But is still frustrating.
I won't even get into the "electronic bluetooth clash" between Carplay and my bluetooth enabled Resound hearing aids - bottom line - I have to take my hearing aids out and turn them off in order to listen to podcasts via Carplay through the car speakers. That just started this week!
Sponsored