Front license plate for MD

Black e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Standard Range AWD
Country flag
Do we need a front license late for Maryland.I see most of the ice cars with it and most of the evs don’t have them. Half of the Teslas I see don’t have them .Can someone throw some clarity on this ? I don’t want the front tags on my Mach e as it looks way better without one
Sponsored

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
It's mandatory. Whether you get stopped for not having it depends on the mood of the cop or if they tack it to another offense you might have gotten stopped for. I live in MD (PG county) but two of my vehicles are registered in PA and one will be registered in MD once the title work is done. I'm planning on risking it by not mounting the front plate. 🤷‍♂️ I think the cops are too busy to care.

I used to live in ND for several years, which requires front license plates. They LOVED to stop the "sportier cars" without the front plate mounted, but would leave the trucks and "normal" cars alone.

OP
OP

Black e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Standard Range AWD
Country flag
It's mandatory. Whether you get stopped for not having it depends on the mood of the cop or if they tack it to another offense you might have gotten stopped for. I live in MD (PG county) but two of my vehicles are registered in PA and one will be registered in MD once the title work is done. I'm planning on risking it by not mounting the front plate. 🤷‍♂️ I think the cops are too busy to care.

I used to live in ND for several years, which requires front license plates. They LOVED to stop the "sportier cars" without the front plate mounted, but would leave the trucks and "normal" cars alone.
I removed mine too and found something interesting that u just have to carry that in the car and donot have to display it

Attachments

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
That's good to know, but in the case of the Mach E, it was manufactured with a means to display the front plate, just cause the holes aren't drilled out isn't an excuse. 😂

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
That's good to know, but in the case of the Mach E, it was manufactured with a means to display the front plate, just cause the holes aren't drilled out isn't an excuse. 😂
I'd make the case that if the owner must drill holes themselves, ie. there's no means to display it. My interpretation (btw not a lawyer) is that there must be dealer/manufacturer supplied bracket or mounting holes already drilled out and maybe bolts ready to go.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
In states that require front plates, they have to provide the bracket for a new vehicle. The customer can convince the dealer to not drill or mount the plate holder. At that point, it's the customer's responsibility. I'm not trying to make a big deal about it here, cause I'm going to be a violator, but I'll be taking the ticket and not making a case about it if it happens to me.

Of course there's fringe cases where the dealerships make a point to not drill and mount, but you can be sure the hardware will be in the trunk. And you can bet your ass the dealership isn't going to court with you to help fight the ticket. 😅

Jeff-NoVA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag

echeck

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Country flag
Maryland keeps trying to pass the law to not require a front plate, but they keep dying in committee. So annoying.

My dealer didn’t mount the front plate on my GT, and I never did either. I know it’s required, but it just looks SO much better without it. I do keep the plate in the car (between drivers seat and center console), and if I ever get pulled over I’ll play dumb and blame the dealership. 😂

I don’t think anyone cares, though. I live in Howard County and commute to Bethesda, and I swear at least a third of the cars I see don’t have front plates.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag