First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I like that color. That looks like the satin wrap we saw in London many months ago. I don't think that's Grabber Blue.
And it’s a Premium. Note the gloss black wheel lips.

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
New "delete" option for the sunroof. Being offered to new customers only. :p
Don't even start haha I can't stand the glass roof, I'd get rid of it in a second if I could, but Ford has decided Extended Range = glass roof, for reasons I do not understand since the extra solar load of the roof hurts range by increasing A/C load... but I digress.

Kamuelaflyer

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Tacoma, jeep, mach e (coming), Ford Raptor
Occupation
airline pilot
Country flag
Don't even start haha I can't stand the glass roof, I'd get rid of it in a second if I could, but Ford has decided Extended Range = glass roof, for reasons I do not understand since the extra solar load of the roof hurts range by increasing A/C load... but I digress.
In all seriousness, while I like the sunroof, I don't understand why there can't be a delete option for it.

Then again, I have no idea how cars are built beyond "Parts go in, a car comes out. Must be magic."

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
In all seriousness, while I like the sunroof, I don't understand why there can't be a delete option for it.

Then again, I have no idea how cars are built beyond "Parts go in, a car comes out. Must be magic."
Complexity is hard to manage, for sure. But since the steel roof exists - and they've chosen to have a body color and black painted option for it, in addition to the glass roof says that they're happy to have that level of complexity in the plant - but not to let customers choose what option works for them.

This is like if Buffalo Wild Wings said certain sauces are only available with boneless wings but not available with bone-in wings... sure, it makes the menu simpler, but since the sauces have to be stocked in the kitchen anyway, why do you care if the customer wants it?

Kamuelaflyer

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Tacoma, jeep, mach e (coming), Ford Raptor
Occupation
airline pilot
Country flag
There are people actually paid to think out the logistics of this, time, costs, etc.

They think very differently. I had one such person in my airplane as a passenger once (well before 9/11). I asked why a particular hub facility was rotated 90 degrees from optimal for gate and sort facility expansion. 30 minutes later he stopped talking.

It's probably similar to that. But I still don't see why ... ;)

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicles
Prior--Nissan Leaf, Now--Bolt EV Premier, On order--Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Complexity is hard to manage, for sure. But since the steel roof exists - and they've chosen to have a body color and black painted option for it, in addition to the glass roof says that they're happy to have that level of complexity in the plant - but not to let customers choose what option works for them.

This is like if Buffalo Wild Wings said certain sauces are only available with boneless wings but not available with bone-in wings... sure, it makes the menu simpler, but since the sauces have to be stocked in the kitchen anyway, why do you care if the customer wants it?
I agree--It always drives me nuts when a restaurant does not allow a menu variation that I want. Consider the possible scenario that Ford wants to maximize revenue and they believe that many people prefer a glass roof over a metal roof. Offering the glass roof only on a more expensive trim line might sell some people up to the more expensive trim line. Before you say it, I know you do not want a glass roof and that you believe it keeps the cabin hotter/colder. Others may not have your preference. I have not seen data on whether the glass roof allows in more or less heat than a metal roof (beyond Ford's marketing claim that their glass is cooler than metal in summer and warmer than metal in winter--but we all know how Ford marketing works....). In reality, glass instead of metal might be beneficial in some climates/seasons and detrimental in other climates/seasons. There is an answer to this question but that answer is not yet known.

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I agree--It always drives me nuts when a restaurant does not allow a menu variation that I want. Consider the possible scenario that Ford wants to maximize revenue and they believe that many people prefer a glass roof over a metal roof. Offering the glass roof only on a more expensive trim line might sell some people up to the more expensive trim line. Before you say it, I know you do not want a glass roof and that you believe it keeps the cabin hotter/colder. Others may not have your preference. I have not seen data on whether the glass roof allows in more or less heat than a metal roof (beyond Ford's marketing claim that their glass is cooler than metal in summer and warmer than metal in winter--but we all know how Ford marketing works....). In reality, glass instead of metal might be beneficial in some climates/seasons and detrimental in other climates/seasons. There is an answer to this question but that answer is not yet known.
Even if the thermal impact is better, my biggest concern of them all is replacement cost. I am fearful of my Model 3's glass roof breaking or being vandalized, and the Mach-E's glass looks even bigger.

But yes, they've made it clear they don't want a customer-driven menu, they want a Ford-prescribed menu.

Grabber Blue and Cyber Orange are in the plant, but limited to certain trim levels.

Glass and steel roofs are in the plant, but limited to certain trim levels.

Just give me a no-cost option to have a steel roof. I'll pay the exact same price for my Premium as any other Premium, and I'll save them the cost of the glass if they'd just make it for me out of parts they already have in the plant.

Cyber Orange ER RWD w/ black steel roof is the config I'd prefer. Can't be done, bc Ford knows best, even though, again, all the parts are there to do it.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicles
Prior--Nissan Leaf, Now--Bolt EV Premier, On order--Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Even if the thermal impact is better, my biggest concern of them all is replacement cost. I am fearful of my Model 3's glass roof breaking or being vandalized, and the Mach-E's glass looks even bigger.

But yes, they've made it clear they don't want a customer-driven menu, they want a Ford-prescribed menu.

Grabber Blue and Cyber Orange are in the plant, but limited to certain trim levels.

Glass and steel roofs are in the plant, but limited to certain trim levels.

Just give me a no-cost option to have a steel roof. I'll pay the exact same price for my Premium as any other Premium, and I'll save them the cost of the glass if they'd just make it for me out of parts they already have in the plant.

Cyber Orange ER RWD w/ black steel roof is the config I'd prefer. Can't be done, bc Ford knows best, even though, again, all the parts are there to do it.
"I am sorry but you can only get blue cheese dressing with the Romaine salad, not with the iceberg salad."

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
It may also be that there are cost/speed advantages in assembly with the sun roof. They can lower parts in from above. This may be a case where Ford can save money AND charge more.

Advertisement