Hello from Southern California! Why I'm getting a Mach E.

OP
OP
jglor

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
If you want to fly out to Florida and drive one home my Wife’s cancelled order is due in on 8/26.
That would be one heck of a road trip! But I think it's a little out of the range I'm willing to go.
Sponsored

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
This is one of the worst dealerships we've ever dealt with. When we first decided on buying the MME back in March, we got in contact with this dealership because they had 3 in stock. We got in contact with a sales employee who set up an appointment for us to go in for a test drive. She reassured us that there was no markup on the car and went over rebates that applied to the car.

We go in for the test drive and decided we wanted to purchase the premium with ext. battery they had on the lot. We go inside and my husband fills out the application for financing. The finance manager comes back with numbers that confused us. At the top of the paper is the total price for the vehicle, which is around $65000! We were confused and started asking questions. The finance manager states that there was a $5000 markup added to the price. My husband tells him that he was told there would be no markup on the car. They just kept telling us that the sales employee we spoke to must've not known about the markup and that she had made a mistake.

We ended up walking out after my husband had a heated argument with the finance manager. The saleslady did end up texting me a few days later apologizing. She said she knew nothing about the markup, which I don't believe. Anyhow, I'm glad we didn't buy that car for that price. We ended up buying a carbonized gray FE at Hunnington Beach Ford for around $5700 after discounts/rebates. I hope you have a MUCH better experience with them than we did!

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I ordered from Gosch Ford in Escondido, just because they are the closest dealer to me. I confirmed that they don't add ADM on orders (I know nobody is supposed to).

About the battery, like I said above, if one come in at one of the non-ADM dealers, I probably won't be super picky. AWD + Extended battery is a little pricey for me though, but I might just jump on an extended battery. I don't think I would get AWD with the standard battery, as that would reduce the range a little more.
Suggest you remain open to CaRt1 model as well. Less $$ and only really giving up the ambient lights and kick tailgate opener, but gain a little range and the manual tailgate is perfectly balanced and far quicker to open/close than the powered kick activation style. Yes, someone will reply that heated seats are not an option in the Route 1 model, but where you are located (I am in Ventura), you will never miss that. I have a Rapid Red CaRt1 (comes with the extended range battery) and absolutely love it! Have met lots of new parking lot friends and lots of thumbs up from other drivers on the highway. And, the aero wheel covers are cool!

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
Interesting. When I called Encinitas Ford last month, they said they were adding ADM on cars on the lot.
Hm, I could be mistaken. I actually didn't look at the sticker, tbh, since I am ordering one and that will not have ADM. They have a few there. Maybe make them an offer?

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
This is one of the worst dealerships we've ever dealt with. When we first decided on buying the MME back in March, we got in contact with this dealership because they had 3 in stock. We got in contact with a sales employee who set up an appointment for us to go in for a test drive. She reassured us that there was no markup on the car and went over rebates that applied to the car.

We go in for the test drive and decided we wanted to purchase the premium with ext. battery they had on the lot. We go inside and my husband fills out the application for financing. The finance manager comes back with numbers that confused us. At the top of the paper is the total price for the vehicle, which is around $65000! We were confused and started asking questions. The finance manager states that there was a $5000 markup added to the price. My husband tells him that he was told there would be no markup on the car. They just kept telling us that the sales employee we spoke to must've not known about the markup and that she had made a mistake.

We ended up walking out after my husband had a heated argument with the finance manager. The saleslady did end up texting me a few days later apologizing. She said she knew nothing about the markup, which I don't believe. Anyhow, I'm glad we didn't buy that car for that price. We ended up buying a carbonized gray FE at Hunnington Beach Ford for around $5700 after discounts/rebates. I hope you have a MUCH better experience with them than we did!
Oh no! I'm not sure which post this reply is to. Is it about the Encinitas dealer? Now I'm worried!

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh no! I'm not sure which post this reply is to. Is it about the Encinitas dealer? Now I'm worried!
Sorry, should’ve stated that this was at Gosch Ford in Escondido.

OP
OP
jglor

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
Sorry, should’ve stated that this was at Gosch Ford in Escondido.
I knew they charged markup for cars on the lot. I called and asked about markup for orders and they said no. I don't know if they try to add any extras like some dealers though. If I find out they do, and wanted to change dealers for my order, is it possible, or do you just have to cancel and re-order? I don't see anything on the Ford site about how to do that. My order has already been accepted.

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I knew they charged markup for cars on the lot. I called and asked about markup for orders and they said no. I don't know if they try to add any extras like some dealers though. If I find out they do, and wanted to change dealers for my order, is it possible, or do you just have to cancel and re-order? I don't see anything on the Ford site about how to do that. My order has already been accepted.
If they would’ve been up front about the markup we wouldn’t have wasted our time in going there. That lie cost us a hard pull on our credit reports. How can these dealerships get away with all the lies and scams?!

My husband trusted the sales lady because she was a former Marine and my husband is active duty Marine, but obviously that didn't matter.

From what I read here, you have to call Ford to have your order switched to another dealership.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
The only thing that could drive me to a Tesla instead of a ME is the horrible dealer model and allowing these money grabs. I just wouldn't do it as matter of principal no matter how much I wanted one sooner. Reflects really badly on Ford as well.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I am so thankful that we have a couple Ford dealer’s in our area that are a pleasure to do business with!! One of them allowed us to put 1500 miles on their demo MME while my Wife was car less!!

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Look, the dealer "model" is never going to change unless that very model does -- what one has suggested -- drive customers to a different brand. This "gosh didn't you know about the scam we're running here?" BS is NEVER going away. And... a buyer is going to have to continue interfacing with these same "trusted dealers" as long as they own the car. No thanks. The Mach E is a great car and Ford deserves credit for stepping up. But, they are slaves to their dealers.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Look, the dealer "model" is never going to change unless that very model does -- what one has suggested -- drive customers to a different brand. This "gosh didn't you know about the scam we're running here?" BS is NEVER going away. And... a buyer is going to have to continue interfacing with these same "trusted dealers" as long as they own the car. No thanks. The Mach E is a great car and Ford deserves credit for stepping up. But, they are slaves to their dealers.
That model has been in place for 100 years, and the only car makers who aren't slaves to their dealers are Tesla and perhaps other brand new manufacturers who are following their lead. This isn't a Ford problem, it's an industry problem, and you can bet Ford is exploring ways to fix it. The biggest issues are the dealer contracts and existing infrastructure, which will take some time to change. The Mach-E already represents a change in direction from how other Ford vehicles have been sold.

jjhenry

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT, '69 Chevy C20, '99 Rodeo, '09 Vespa
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That model has been in place for 100 years, and the only car makers who aren't slaves to their dealers are Tesla and perhaps other brand new manufacturers who are following their lead. This isn't a Ford problem, it's an industry problem, and you can bet Ford is exploring ways to fix it. The biggest issues are the dealer contracts and existing infrastructure, which will take some time to change. The Mach-E already represents a change in direction from how other Ford vehicles have been sold.
The car manufacturers' hands are tied due to most states having laws preventing them from selling direct to the consumer. Tesla is fighting hard to change these laws, but there are still some states that won't allow them to open up stores or even service centers. Until the dealership protections from the governments are removed, we are stuck with them.

I agree with you that change is happening, and I think the internet is a big part of it. With forums like this, other sites, and even Ford's own site, consumers are much better educated on what the actual pricing of vehicles are, and what shenanigans dealers use to try and maximize their profit. Prior to the internet, people were beholden to the what the dealer told them.

I chose Encintas Ford for my order based on feedback in other threads here; I hope it will be smooth.
Sponsored