Help with Setting up PAAK (Solution found)

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Step 1. Put key FOB in your pocket.
Step 2. Give up trying to get a phone/app/bluetooth/vehicle setup to ever work consistently.
Step 3. Enjoy your car!
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Uninstalling an app on iOS or Android will delete the app and its storage cache and locally persisted settings.
I found it didn't. That's why I cleared cache first. Ultimately, the process I followed, worked for me on my Android phone. But, as I've found with setup on Sync, it can even vary as to phone model.

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Don't make the same mistake I did by going to master reset too early. That is a lot of work to set back up.
I didn't master reset because I read on hear how one owner did that and it removed all the keys and he couldn't start the car and had to tow it to the dealer.

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Step 1. Put key FOB in your pocket.
Step 2. Give up trying to get a phone/app/bluetooth/vehicle setup to ever work consistently.
Step 3. Enjoy your car!
That's where I'm at right now. But having a Tesla and the MachE, I haven't had to carry a key in almost a year. It's weird having to reach for one now when I leave the house.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I didn't master reset because I read on hear how one owner did that and it removed all the keys and he couldn't start the car and had to tow it to the dealer.
Shouldn't delete the keys.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
I also had this problem about a year ago. I did all the above recommendations also and it never would get a key. The module that runs the pakk actually wasn't working (Ben could see on FDRS) I had to take it in to dealer to have it looked at. From what I was told the power pin on the module itself was not making good contact and kept the module from powering on. They stated fixed it by working on the plug to the module. It now works great. (knocking on wood). If you know someone with FDRS have them plug in and see if your Paak module is showing up is what I would try.
do you know what module this is?

i ask because my PAAK does not work - the app pulls the crypto key, i get the notification that PAAK has been set up on the car, and then after pressing "next" on the screen that gives the pairing code to copy, nothing happens and there's a timeout. i think this means the app failed to make a bluetooth connection to the car based on the app's recommendation of getting closer to the car.

the dealer initially told me the TCU is non-operational but if this were the case i think a lot more than PAAK would not work. eventually the dealer tried replacing the TCU but (apparently) the issue persisted with the new TCU in place. based on screenshots of the bezel diags i made before and after, they put the old TCU back in the car, and of course the problem persists.

after all this, the claim was that this is some sort of software issue in the car and/or ford's servers. no further contact from the service dept as of yet.

so is there some submodule that's responsible for PAAK? or is it the TCU?

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. RWD/SR,Lexus RX350, Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel
Country flag

after all this, the claim was that this is some sort of software issue in the car and/or ford's servers. no further contact from the service dept as of yet.
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but do you still not have your car? :(

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but do you still not have your car? :(
oh they gave it back after about a week of TCU work. they left the ticket open which is actually kind of bad since i assume a still open ticket on the same problem for which they do 2 "repairs" works in their favor lemon-law wise. assuming they do try to repair it again...

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I was able to set PAAK up with my wife's phone, but my phone will not download a key. We both have Iphone 13pro. So I don't know what the problem is. Both phone have same settings. BT was completely cleared out.

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. RWD/SR,Lexus RX350, Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel
Country flag
oh they gave it back after about a week of TCU work. they left the ticket open which is actually kind of bad since i assume a still open ticket on the same problem for which they do 2 "repairs" works in their favor lemon-law wise. assuming they do try to repair it again...
Bummer about this issue! I hope you're enjoying it otherwise. :)

Shaggyrn

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2012 Ford Fusion, 2007 Exp. Sport Tr
Country flag

i ask because my PAAK does not work - the app pulls the crypto key, i get the notification that PAAK has been set up on the car, and then after pressing "next" on the screen that gives the pairing code to copy, nothing happens and there's a timeout. i think this means the app failed to make a bluetooth connection to the car based on the app's recommendation of getting closer to the car.

the dealer initially told me the TCU is non-operational but if this were the case i think a lot more than PAAK would not work. eventually the dealer tried replacing the TCU but (apparently) the issue persisted with the new TCU in place. based on screenshots of the bezel diags i made before and after, they put the old TCU back in the car, and of course the problem persists.

so is there some submodule that's responsible for PAAK? or is it the TCU?
Sorry for the delayed response
I pulled the work order from the dealership
"Customer states: Electrical- phone as key not working
Caused by
Verified concern. Found no communication to RFA module. Performed PPT AN. AN1 removed center console for access to C2860. 13.3V AN2 .4 OHMS. AN3 .3 OHMS. AN4 reconnected C2860 Found communication restored.
Concern resolved during diagnostics. Loose connection at C2860 not fully seated causing concern. Harness 14B079. Reinstalled center console"

Hope this helps get you mechanic to look at the connections.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry for the delayed response
I pulled the work order from the dealership
"Customer states: Electrical- phone as key not working
Caused by
Verified concern. Found no communication to RFA module. Performed PPT AN. AN1 removed center console for access to C2860. 13.3V AN2 .4 OHMS. AN3 .3 OHMS. AN4 reconnected C2860 Found communication restored.
Concern resolved during diagnostics. Loose connection at C2860 not fully seated causing concern. Harness 14B079. Reinstalled center console"

Hope this helps get you mechanic to look at the connections.
thanks, that is very, very helpful. what's funny is that the tech honed in on the TCU as the problem but all sorts of things that the TCU is responsible for work fine.

i wonder what else RFA is responsible for, it would be interesting to see if other things related to that module are not working as well.

Mockey313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E.
Country flag
Shouldn't delete the keys.
Master Reset will delete your keys. Your key is tied to your authorization.

FordPass Connect Reset
PAAK Reset
Master Reset will all delete your keys.

Removing the vehicle from you account will delete your key also.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Master Reset will delete your keys. Your key is tied to your authorization.

FordPass Connect Reset
PAAK Reset
Master Reset will all delete your keys.

Removing the vehicle from you account will delete your key also.
No. Sold the 2021 Mach-E. Did a reset, keys worked fine. Keys have to be removed by the dealer. Or, reprogram the key. I reprogrammed one of the 2021's keys to work with the 2022.

4pac

First Name
Sphen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE/TeslaY
Country flag
So my paak was working but now its not. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it on my OS phone and then setting it up in the car. It works when I install it but shortly after stops working again. I believe when I delete the app I dont have to delete the cache, do I have to delete the paak in the machE first before reinstalling the app? I couldnt find the menu to list the paak in the vehicle to delete them so I was deleting them while I was setting up the new paak (after reinstalling the app). Any suggestions?
Sponsored