Issue setting up PaaK

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I have two android devices running Android 10, and they both pop up the attached error message ("Network Problem") when trying to set up PaaK. This is the screen right before it asks you to reenter your credentials. The setup worked flawlessly on an iPad (the only other device I had on me). Any ideas what might cause this? I've tried three different carrier, and even connecting my phone to wifi. FordPass itself works with no issues. Anyone have any ideas what to look for?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Issue setting up PaaK Screenshot_20210626-153202

Edit: Adding "Network Error" and "Network Problem" to this post to make it easier for others to find when searching the forum.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
It appears that during the initial setup of PaaK, the app requests a base-64 encoded JSON file from https://www.fordpass.com/content/dam/cal/mfg/<device_manufacturer>.json. Here's a sample JSON file after it's been decoded:

{
"data": {
"schemaVersion":"1.0",
"brand": "oneplus",
"default": {
"offset": 0,
"txPower": 0,
"variance": 0
},
"models": [
{
"name": "oneplusa3000",
"offset": 7,
},
{
"name": "oneplusa6003",
},
{
"name": "oneplusa-6003",
},
{
"name": "a6003",
},
{
"name": "gm1905",
},
{
"name": "gm1925",
},
{
"name": "gm1917",
},
{
"name": "gm1920",
},
{
"name": "hd1905",
},
{
"name": "hd1907",
},
{
"name": "hd1913",
},
{
"name": "hd1925",
},
{
"name": "in2013",
"offset": -7,
},
{
"name": "in2017",
},
{
"name": "in2023",
},
{
"name": "in2019",
},
{
"name": "in2020",
},
{
"name": "in2021",
},
{
"name": "in2025",
}
]
}
}

Anyway, it looks like all three of my devices are esoteric enough for the server to return a 404 Not Found - Sony (Xperia 1 Mark II), Razer (Razer Phone 2), and Microsoft (Surface Duo). I'm guessing this is why I'm having this issue - I've tried various manufacturers - Samsung, OnePlus, Google, Huawei - and they all return a file successfully.

@Ford Motor Company Do you guys only support specific phone vendors for PaaK? If so, could you please provide a generic Bluetooth profile for those of us who use not-so-popular devices?

OP
OP

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
After more investigating (and thanks to @jnthn98 answering my questions), it looks like FordPass 3.23.0 and above will look for this manufacturer JSON file. 3.22.0 and below don't, so I downloaded the FordPass 3.22.0 APK and installed it. PaaK setup worked flawlessly for me with 3.22.0. Overall functionality is still somewhat glitchy with my phone (the door won't unlock when I push the button, and "no key detected" pops up sometimes in the IPC), so I'll investigate later to see if updating it to 3.24.0 will keep PaaK working on my phone, and improve overall reliability.

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
After more investigating (and thanks to @jnthn98 answering my questions), it looks like FordPass 3.23.0 and above will look for this manufacturer JSON file. 3.22.0 and below don't, so I downloaded the FordPass 3.22.0 APK and installed it. PaaK setup worked flawlessly for me with 3.22.0. Overall functionality is still somewhat glitchy with my phone (the door won't unlock when I push the button, and "no key detected" pops up sometimes in the IPC), so I'll investigate later to see if updating it to 3.24.0 will keep PaaK working on my phone, and improve overall reliability.
Where is the APK located for 3.22?

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
Any idea how it determines the device manufacturer, and if we're rooted any way using a Magisk module to spoof the devices?

OP
OP

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Any idea how it determines the device manufacturer, and if we're rooted any way using a Magisk module to spoof the devices?
I didn't get that far, because the test phone (Razer Phone 2) I was using didn't appear to have an easy-ish way to alter the manufacturer name. If you're already rooted and can spoof your device, go ahead and give it a try - rename your OEM to Samsung or OnePlus. If it's successful, you'll get prompted to enter your FordPass username/password again. If not, you'll get the "Network Problem" popup.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Oddly enough I get this same network error message when trying to set up an iPhone 12, not sure it is totally an Android/device issue.

OP
OP

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Oddly enough I get this same network error message when trying to set up an iPhone 12, not sure it is totally an Android/device issue.
Yes, that's weird - I did notice you're an outlier as to the cause of this error message. I believe you mentioned even trying on multiple networks (home WiFi, cellular, etc.) so I'm not sure what's up. Both my iPhone SE and iPad Pro have no issues.

Just as a sanity check, can you visit https://www.fordpass.com/content/dam/cal/mfg/apple.json on your iPhone? If successful, you'll see a bunch of gibberish-looking text.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes, that's weird - I did notice you're an outlier as to the cause of this error message. I believe you mentioned even trying on multiple networks (home WiFi, cellular, etc.) so I'm not sure what's up. Both my iPhone SE and iPad Pro have no issues.

Just as a sanity check, can you visit https://www.fordpass.com/content/dam/cal/mfg/apple.json on your iPhone? If successful, you'll see a bunch of gibberish-looking text.
I checked that and found it. Somehow I got it to work today. Seems like since I had CarPlay and Bluetooth already set up without PAAK, I had to go to the phone and tell it to forget the Mach E as a Bluetooth connection, disable CarPlay on the phone, then restart the process. After setting up PAAK, it then let me reconnect the phone and CarPlay from the Sync screen, but that took a couple of tries.

We shall see how it goes with PAAK.

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
I didn't get that far, because the test phone (Razer Phone 2) I was using didn't appear to have an easy-ish way to alter the manufacturer name. If you're already rooted and can spoof your device, go ahead and give it a try - rename your OEM to Samsung or OnePlus. If it's successful, you'll get prompted to enter your FordPass username/password again. If not, you'll get the "Network Problem" popup.
No success with changing the device fingerprint. Still gives the network error. :confused:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Issue setting up PaaK itsatra

Paak leads to unhappiness...

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
I went back to 3.16, setup paak, just had to ignore all the nags to upgrade. Then upgraded to 3.25 and it works so far. The 3.22 link at the mirror site was EU version. I have a TCL10L android 11

OP
OP

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
No success with changing the device fingerprint. Still gives the network error. :confused:
If you're so inclined, would you mind installing HTTP Toolkit on your phone and PC to capture the URL the app is requesting when you're trying to set up PaaK? I'm curious to see what it's doing.

OP
OP

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I went back to 3.16, setup paak, just had to ignore all the nags to upgrade. Then upgraded to 3.25 and it works so far. The 3.22 link at the mirror site was EU version. I have a TCL10L android 11
Yeah, I did that too. Except of course PaaK doesn't work very well for me; it never unlocks the door for me, it takes several tries to start the car without entering my passphrase, and walk-away lock used to work in 3.24 doesn't work in 3.25. Sigh.
Sponsored