How can I disable/delete the radio?

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yes. It will always default to the radio eventually, at least for me. It may be triggered by charging, or some other thing, but it does not stay in USB mode. And I can't disable or delete the radio "app" from the screen. It's as if Verizon runs the infotainment software.
Definitely one trigger in the "not charging" category. I've had AA up and running, audio paused / not playing (disabled auto play), and randomly it will just decide to switch to radio. AA stays up and running so not sure it's a Bluetooth thing. It could be a USB thing, I've always had a USB stick plugged in with music so perhaps when there's a USB read error (even if you're not actively using it or loading USB) it kicks it to radio.

ShawnMakie

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE Grabber Blue - July 29th Delivery
Occupation
IT Engineer - infrastructure (UC/Network) and ITPM
Country flag
I have never had the radio come on in the car ever since I first played with it when I bought the car. I daily android auto for audible or pandora. On the occasion I hop in the car without my phone or Bluetooth off it just stays in the blank connect to phone screen and remains silent.

Suggestion I haven't seen here yet: Switch to another media source and then swipe down on the radio app card so the app is closed and see if it comes on next time the car starts. If the app is completely closed instead of just muted off to the side maybe it won't launch itself 🤔

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have never had the radio come on in the car ever since I first played with it when I bought the car. I daily android auto for audible or pandora. On the occasion I hop in the car without my phone or Bluetooth off it just stays in the blank connect to phone screen and remains silent.

Suggestion I haven't seen here yet: Switch to another media source and then swipe down on the radio app card so the app is closed and see if it comes on next time the car starts. If the app is completely closed instead of just muted off to the side maybe it won't launch itself 🤔
Sadly no, this is the first thing I do because I like to have certain cards showing and not a radio I never use.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
You're probably going to use these two options found at 7D0-01-01. Figure out what yours currently is set to, then just pick the option that's the same, but with FMT Not Available and AMT Not Available. It should just hide it in the APIM, so it won't switch to it at all. I don't have time to test it this morning.

EDIT: Tested and only made the AM tuner disappear.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How can I disable/delete the radio? 1681463628961

Last edited:

RosemarieS.

First Name
Frisky Filly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Two points.

1) Turn off the "radio" before turning off the car. No static. Doesn't solve your other issues though.

2) There is no "radio". There is a Sync system that includes radio stations. Therefore, it's not a simple solution.
Thanks Rick for explaining that there is no radio. That answers a lot of questions I had about the lack of features on this "radio". Are we coming back full circle? I remember when a car radio was one of those options on fancy cars. Eventually they started showing up on all cars. Then there were lots of AM and FM stations to listen to. Now the only station we get is NPR, which is pretty good. I wish the Sirius telemarketers would leave us alone. There's no way I would ever pay for radio, especially as lame as Sirius.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thanks Rick for explaining that there is no radio. That answers a lot of questions I had about the lack of features on this "radio". Are we coming back full circle? I remember when a car radio was one of those options on fancy cars. Eventually they started showing up on all cars. Then there were lots of AM and FM stations to listen to. Now the only station we get is NPR, which is pretty good. I wish the Sirius telemarketers would leave us alone. There's no way I would ever pay for radio, especially as lame as Sirius.
That's an easy fix (the telemarkers).

When I get a new Ford vehicle, I contact Sirius before they even know about the sale. I have them pull up my "account", which has no phone number or email address saved on it. They add the serial number of the unit, and ensure my account is marked - "Do Not Mail", "Do Not Call", "Do Not Email", and "Do Not Rent". I almost always never hear from them again.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Two points.

1) Turn off the "radio" before turning off the car. No static. Doesn't solve your other issues though.

2) There is no "radio". There is a Sync system that includes radio stations. Therefore, it's not a simple solution.
Well, not to be pedantic...but I will be...lol

There's the Audio Control Module (ACM) (radio). That has the 3 tuners into for AM, FM and Sirius. That's where speakers are connected without the B&O system. Then there's the Digital Signal Processer (DSP) if you have the B&O. The ACM feeds audio to this, and the speakers are connected to this module. ACM also generates the chimes for warnings and alerts. If the ACM is broken or unreachable on the BUS, then it'll default to the IPC for chimes. Finally, there's the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM). That's "Sync 4A", and front end for the ACM (and other things). It also feeds the audio from Bluetooth, Navigation, and CarPlay/AA into the ACM.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bikespace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium ER 4x
Country flag
Well, not to be pedantic...but I will be...lol

There's the Audio Control Module (ACM) (radio). That has the 3 tuners into for AM, FM and Sirius. That's where speakers are connected without the B&O system. Then there's the Digital Signal Processer (DSP) if you have the B&O. The ACM feeds audio to this, and the speakers are connected to this module. ACM also generates the chimes for warnings and alerts. If the ACM is broken or unreachable on the BUS, then it'll default to the IPC for chimes. Finally, there's the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM). That's "Sync 4A", and front end for the ACM (and other things). It also feeds the audio from Bluetooth, Navigation, and CarPlay/AA into the ACM.
Thanks for that! That is more like what I expected to find.

So it seems that the ACM can't be bypassed, since even in my Premium with the B&O, the signal level audio from the APIM is still passing through the the ACM.

But perhaps, as has been suggested above, I can disable the AM, FM, and XM tuners in the ACM via Forscan or FDRS.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Thanks for that! That is more like what I expected to find.

So it seems that the ACM can't be bypassed, since even in my Premium with the B&O, the signal level audio from the APIM is still passing through the the ACM.

But perhaps, as has been suggested above, I can disable the AM, FM, and XM tuners in the ACM via Forscan or FDRS.
I have to dig around a little more with Forscan this evening. I was able to disable AM in the APIM, but FM still showed up for whatever reason. I know that Sirus can be disabled for sure. I want to try disabling any references to HD radio as well.

As far as the ACM, I didn't see anything in there to disable any tuners. More to follow.
Sponsored