Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Welp... Rivian got an update today with a pet mode! C'mon Ford - this is a really simple function to add. Would have been great for summer.
Sponsored

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Welp... Rivian got an update today with a pet mode! C'mon Ford - this is a really simple function to add. Would have been great for summer.
This is a good example of the kind of OTA updates I had expected when I chose the MME. My expectations have since changed. I still want things like this if for no bigger reason than it keeps the car experience fresh. But I no longer think Ford will do this kind of thing.

There is a promised UI update this fall which I expect will be the last hurrah for the current OS. Fingers crossed it will have something like Dog Mode and some other lessons learned.

Mustang Mama

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2022
Country flag
I've seen people commenting they wish there was a dog mode, but not really any how to steps to make one until Ford officially pushes one out (if ever).

So here's what I do:
I made a sketch that I have saved so I can pull it up at any time (I found the yellow on black had the best visibility). I left some space at the top because if you take your phone with you there could be an error message that pops up saying it disconnected from your phone.

Once I park I go into the settings, turn OFF the auto 30 minute off timer, pull up the sketch and leave that displayed, get out of the car, use fob to lock the car, or you can hit lock in the FordPass app, (you can't go back and check to make sure, as with the fob/phone in your hand when you push the button the door will open, just hit lock a few times to be safe), and then I'm good to go!

Edited to add: You will leave the car ON and running, do not shut it off or put it in acessory mode (in case that wasn't clear)

PXL_20220623_192920932.jpg
Good explanation. Thanks!

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
I see a big problem with this if your dog knows how to drive. Maybe cats are smarter? Don't know...
Without a horizontally opposed thumb, the ME shifter dial is too hard to use for the average dog.
But whatever you do NEVER leave your raccoon in the ME unattended!

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
I have left the ME running and locked a few times so it will keep my 12V freezer/fridge running with food in it while I go into a second store. With it off the voltage drops too much for it to stay running.
But I did not know there was a 30 minute timer, which explains why the car was off a couple of times. Good to know for the next time!
We live in a rural area, and do a big grocery shopping run once a month or so. Being able to leave the ME running with the AC on means we can go to more than one store in the AZ summer. Without that freezer, it would be pointless trying to get ice cream home intact!
I have not really paid much attention, but leaving just the AC on has to be pretty insignificant to the range, even if it sits there for an hour.

QuiteContrary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022
Country flag
I've seen people commenting they wish there was a dog mode, but not really any how to steps to make one until Ford officially pushes one out (if ever).

So here's what I do:
I made a sketch that I have saved so I can pull it up at any time (I found the yellow on black had the best visibility). I left some space at the top because if you take your phone with you there could be an error message that pops up saying it disconnected from your phone.

Once I park I go into the settings, turn OFF the auto 30 minute off timer, pull up the sketch and leave that displayed, get out of the car, use fob to lock the car, or you can hit lock in the FordPass app, or hit 7-8 &9-0 buttons on the door (you can't go back and check to make sure, as with the fob/phone in your hand when you push the button the door will open, just hit lock a few times to be safe), and then I'm good to go!

Edited to add: You will leave the car ON and running, do not shut it off or put it in acessory mode (in case that wasn't clear)

Ford Mustang Mach-E How I make a makeshift DIY Dog Mode E8237835-96EC-4812-8CE7-E8B689EF8B8A
Oh, so the trick is to leave your car running. That's a good work-around for not tripping the alarm. Thanks much!

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
I would suggest also leaving the windows open an inch. While this will be much less efficient, it gives the dog at least a chance of survival if a glitch causes the AC to shut off.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I would suggest also leaving the windows open an inch. While this will be much less efficient, it gives the dog at least a chance of survival if a glitch causes the AC to shut off.
Anyone leaving their dog's life in the hands of these workarounds (built on top of Ford's shaky software) is running a risk that I would never take. You can't even monitor the interior temperature from the app.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Anyone leaving their dog's life in the hands of these workarounds (built on top of Ford's shaky software) is running a risk that I would never take. You can't even monitor the interior temperature from the app.
This is why I taught my dog to drive. So when it gets too hot, he can pull out and get some fresh air.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How I make a makeshift DIY Dog Mode 1706894904954