How Long Before People Accept The Mach-E As A Mustang?

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
4 door suv is far from evolving. Name it something else. Lol šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
Ford makes the car. Ford gets to name the car. Donā€™t like the name, donā€™t buy the car. Plenty of people are happy to buy the car no matter what the name is, and in some cases, because of the name.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MellowJohnny

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
For the record, they were Wheaties.

Various media outlets have reported what Farley said about the MMEā€™s origin.
https://chiefexecutive.net/ford-ceo-bets-boldly-on-electric-version-of-mustang/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34968692/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-drive/
https://electrek.co/2019/11/21/ford-film-sell-electric-mustang-to-mustang-fans/

And hereā€™s a tidbit for the ā€œnot a Mustangā€ crowd: Bill Ford, who owns some 35 different Mustangs, was originally reluctant to call it a Mustang. Apparently a test drive was all that it took to convince him that it was deserving of the Mustang name.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/bill-ford-didnt-want-call-mach-e-mustang-until-he-drove-it
Thereā€™s this video too - forgot all about it. Maybe a *bit* marketing focused, but good none the less:

Making The Mustang Mach-E

OP
OP
MellowJohnny

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I took mine to Cars & Coffee, parked in the Mustang zone next to the one with the Lets Go Brandon! sticker, and enjoyed the show. I would not trade mine for any of the ICE Mustangs on display. Mach E is the future.
IMG_3703.jpg
Should have parked her with the frunk open, beers casually chillinā€™ā€¦. :cool:

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
This was equal parts funny and sad this week. I am in line at the school pickup, I get so many open mouth stares and thumbs up from kids, K-3. One 7 year old starts jumping up and down waving and screaming that this is so cool, what is it??? I say a Mach-E, he yells what?? Never heard of that, I say it's the electric mustang. He yells back "it's the coolest car ever". Next day at pickup, the same kid starts heckling me, "it can't be both, it's either a mustang or an electric, not both" and he was kinda hostile. I laughed him off but wanted to say "don't listen to your angry, dinosaur dad". Surprised he didn't add, you know it runs on coal. (My 7 years of EV driving have been exclusive powered by rooftop solar fyi)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MellowJohnny

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
This was equal parts funny and sad this week. I am in line at the school pickup, I get so many open mouth stares and thumbs up from kids, K-3. One 7 year old starts jumping up and down waving and screaming that this is so cool, what is it??? I say a Mach-E, he yells what?? Never heard of that, I say it's the electric mustang. He yells back "it's the coolest car ever". Next day at pickup, the same kid starts heckling me, "it can't be both, it's either a mustang or an electric, not both" and he was kinda hostile. I laughed him off but wanted to say "don't listen to your angry, dinosaur dad". Surprised he didn't add, you know it runs on coal. (My 7 years of EV driving have been exclusive powered by rooftop solar fyi)
Next time roll up playing Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changin'...

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I can't speak to anyone else's experiences, but outside of people that call themselves "car guys" which happened exactly once, after I reserved but before I ordered, nobody - literally nobody - has ever said to me "that's not a Mustang."

In my over a year of ownership, I have heard:
  • "is that the new Electric Mustang?"
  • "I love your Mustang"
  • "That's the future"
  • "I'm glad Ford is doing this"
among many other things.

I have been asked if it "drives like a Mustang" and I say that with the instant torque and the acceleration, that yes, it does, at least how I expect a Mustang to drive.

I had one person - one - ask me if this meant that the ICE Mustangs were gone (not even "going away")... I reassured him that no, not yet anyway, although he didn't seem worried about it, was more just curious.

it's very unusual to not have at least two people comment to me in a weekend... my girlfriend went through a bit of "the five stages" when she was in the car as a passenger without me (e.g. when I'm running into a store to pick up something):
  1. Denial - "nobody cares about the car anyone drives"
  2. Anger - "why are all these people asking me about your car? it's pissing me off"
  3. Bargaining - "can you at least let me get in the car before you talk to someone for 10 minutes about your car?"
  4. Depression - "I can't believe your car gets more attention than I do" (*)
  5. Acceptance - "everyone loves your car"
Although there are people on this forum that will go to their death screaming "not a Mustang!", the normal person world accepted this as "Mustang" a long time ago.

Which is good, because as I've said on here before, this is a Mustang. Anyone saying otherwise is ignoring that the company that decides what is called a Mustang, called it a Mustang. Your opinion of the matter doesn't change the factual statement.

(*) this didn't actually happen šŸ¤£

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not really related I guess but I just checked my MME , other than a Horse on the front and back of the car, there is nothing mentioning Ford. No logo at all.

are all Mustangs like that?

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Not really related I guess but I just checked my MME , other than a Horse on the front and back of the car, there is nothing mentioning Ford. No logo at all.

are all Mustangs like that?
Logo on the windshield up by the rear view mirror -- my 2016 Mustang was the same way.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Logo on the windshield up by the rear view mirror -- my 2016 Mustang was the same way.
Yep, your right.

I just drove by my Ford dealer, they have 30+ GT MMEā€™s- all for the NYC PD.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I can't speak to anyone else's experiences, but outside of people that call themselves "car guys" which happened exactly once, after I reserved but before I ordered, nobody - literally nobody - has ever said to me "that's not a Mustang."

In my over a year of ownership, I have heard:
  • "is that the new Electric Mustang?"
  • "I love your Mustang"
  • "That's the future"
  • "I'm glad Ford is doing this"
among many other things.

I have been asked if it "drives like a Mustang" and I say that with the instant torque and the acceleration, that yes, it does, at least how I expect a Mustang to drive.

I had one person - one - ask me if this meant that the ICE Mustangs were gone (not even "going away")... I reassured him that no, not yet anyway, although he didn't seem worried about it, was more just curious.

it's very unusual to not have at least two people comment to me in a weekend... my girlfriend went through a bit of "the five stages" when she was in the car as a passenger without me (e.g. when I'm running into a store to pick up something):
  1. Denial - "nobody cares about the car anyone drives"
  2. Anger - "why are all these people asking me about your car? it's pissing me off"
  3. Bargaining - "can you at least let me get in the car before you talk to someone for 10 minutes about your car?"
  4. Depression - "I can't believe your car gets more attention than I do" (*)
  5. Acceptance - "everyone loves your car"
Although there are people on this forum that will go to their death screaming "not a Mustang!", the normal person world accepted this as "Mustang" a long time ago.

Which is good, because as I've said on here before, this is a Mustang. Anyone saying otherwise is ignoring that the company that decides what is called a Mustang, called it a Mustang. Your opinion of the matter doesn't change the factual statement.

(*) this didn't actually happen šŸ¤£
You also have to consider the fact that people say meaner things anonymously online or behind your back.

Unfortunately what they say when youā€™re not there is more honest.

Everyone says they ā€œlike your haircutā€ to your face.

Last car show I went to, I stood just close enough to my car to hear the comments. A lot more ā€œthatā€™s not a Mustangā€ comments when people didnā€™t realize the owner was listening. This car is controversial. And thatā€™s OK!!

Didnā€™t help that I was parked next to 2 McLarens, 2 Ferraris and a Lamborghini.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How Long Before People Accept The Mach-E As A Mustang? D56544CD-7062-4F9D-A0DB-CED615B4D156

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
You also have to consider the fact that people say meaner things anonymously online or behind your back.

Unfortunately what they say when youā€™re not there is more honest.

Everyone says they ā€œlike your haircutā€ to your face.

Last car show I went to, I stood just close enough to my car to hear the comments. A lot more ā€œthatā€™s not a Mustangā€ comments when people didnā€™t realize the owner was listening.

Didnā€™t help that I was parked next to 2 McLarens, 2 Ferraris and a Lamborghini.

D56544CD-7062-4F9D-A0DB-CED615B4D156.jpeg
As I said before, I am not looking for unanimous consensus (can't get that on anything). More importantly...We are getting the car for my wife and I...not anyone else. We chose it for many reasons... and it pleasing or displeasing any Mustang "aficionados"...was never even a consideration into where I am spending my money. Overall the reaction has been positive, and I know there are naysayers in the crowd if they say it to my face or behind my back. I also know I have had many "Mustang people" are very excited when they hear we are getting a Mustang Mach E GT Performance.

My wife and I have been driving factory built Electrics for more than 23 years now for daily driving (over 330K miles on battery power since January 1999). It used to "offend" "car people" that I learned I drove an EV (as a life long car person that I am)...but today, this is not the case and in what 5, 10 or 15 more years it will really be only a select few that feel that a gas powered car is really the way cars should be.

We do what we want for us...not for anyone else. This is what I recommend for everyone. If you want a Mustang Mach E because you want it...get it. If you want a GT350, get it. If you want a Prius...get that. Think about the impact of the car on the world for the next generation too...but whatever you do... life is too short to worry about other people being offended on what car we drive.

Live life and enjoy what you do.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
As I said before, I am not looking for unanimous consensus (can't get that on anything). More importantly...We are getting the car for my wife and I...not anyone else. We chose it for many reasons... and it pleasing or displeasing any Mustang "aficionados"...was never even a consideration into where I am spending my money. Overall the reaction has been positive, and I know there are naysayers in the crowd if they say it to my face or behind my back. I also know I have had many "Mustang people" are very excited when they hear we are getting a Mustang Mach E GT Performance.

My wife and I have been driving factory built Electrics for more than 23 years now for daily driving (over 330K miles on battery power since January 1999). It used to "offend" "car people" that I learned I drove an EV (as a life long car person that I am)...but today, this is not the case and in what 5, 10 or 15 more years it will really be only a select few that feel that a gas powered car is really the way cars should be.

We do what we want for us...not for anyone else. This is what I recommend for everyone. If you want a Mustang Mach E because you want it...get it. If you want a GT350, get it. If you want a Prius...get that. Think about the impact of the car on the world for the next generation too...but whatever you do... life is too short to worry about other people being offended on what car we drive.

Live life and enjoy what you do.
Agreed until you said to get a Prius. That car sucks. šŸ˜œ

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed until you said to get a Prius. That car sucks. šŸ˜œ
That is exactly why I chose to put it in the commentary...contrast/full spectrum of "tastes". :)

It is a very popular car...but it is not what you or I want.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag