Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E (2021)
Occupation
Writer/journalist
Country flag
In the extended range MME, there is 99 kWh of total battery capacity (assuming 100% SoH), and 91 kWh usable. That means there is an extra 8 kWh beyond the usable limits. There is around a 4 kWh buffer on the top end, and about 4 kWh on the bottom end. So you have about 4 kWh below 100% to run it dry. At 3 miles per kWh, that is 12 miles of range. At 2 miles per kWh, that is 8 miles of range.

Mark made it five miles below 0%, and I suspect the car would have shut down soon after if he had not made it home. I doubt the car will let you use up all of the 4 kWh buffer, because, well then it isn't a buffer.

The car will shut down, and unless someone is able to charge your battery on the side of the road, you will need a tow. Some BEVs are hard to charge when they get that low. Mark didn't have a problem with L2 charging, but a DCFC might fail. I have heard rumors there is a minimum charge level for starting a DCFC. I think @Mach-Lee knows the answer to that.
Thanks for the info. Good to know.

AEGinMD

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Ice Blue Silver (Nov 2022)
Occupation
government bureaucrat
Country flag
This thread is very instructive (except for the video, which is merely delightful...), thanks all! I just got back from my first extended road trip -- had my first close call when I had to drive 30+ miles to the nearest high-speed charger (NY's Hudson Valley area) and mapped into a beautiful, empty and fully functional Shell Recharge station (part of NY's EVolve charging system) with 11 miles of range left. I was curious about what might happen at 0 and I'd much rather learn from all of you than from personal experience! I will post a separate thread about other aspects of charging on the road...
Sponsored