How often does your Ford mobile charger overheat?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I had the same problem, why I ended up buying a new after market one. I had the issue when it as still actually cool outside, was no hotter than 65 degrees or so, maybe cooler. There used to be a big post about this. After reading it I walked away with the understanding that the Ford charger was not designed to be used as a daily charger.. /shrug
Sponsored

CarsIMBwife

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
I had the issue a few times after the house shook (Thunderstorm, roofer) and I just re-seated the plug. When FordPass was enhanced to show charging kW, I noticed it was getting slower and slower. No amber light, just really slow. Checked State of Charge videos for a recommendation and bought a plain Grizzle-E and have been happy with it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It’s been almost a year since the last post here and i am wondering if there is any update on this?

Has Ford acknowledged the problem? Are replacement FMCs more reliable? Is there an easier way to get it replaced on warranty if you contact the right or quote some bulletin?

I have been using the FMC for about a year without a problem when I noticed the Amber light in June. Now it flips back and forth between 3 kW and 7 kW while charging slowing things down.

Thanks,
It is definitely heat related, and likely it is worse after it overheats a few times. I only use it for 120V charging now but even then I had it overheat once. If you are in a cool climate or can keep the EVSE cool, it will probably be fine. Otherwise buying a new EVSE is the best way to go IMO. I bought a Grizl-e for 240V travel use.

goodguy

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford
Country flag
For me. I pulled the charger away from the wall. The back side was what seemed to get hot AND I have put a small fan over it. Has seemed to mitigated the issue! Not sure which solved the issue. But i still do both.

thesloth

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
It happened to me and they gave me a new charger. If your dealer can’t test it with 240v, find one that can. My dealer first tested it with 120v because they didn’t have 240 plug to test it. Apparently several other EV owners had problems and they installed 240 so they could test. I was just about to go to another dealer.

Good luck.
My dealer kept the car for a day, but didn’t have a 240V outlet to test it. Instead they got distracted by a DC charging bulletin and did some updates. Told me to see how it goes and call them if the issue persists.

How did you convince them to give you a replacement when they didn’t have a 240V outlet? And is your replacement working better?

Thanks!

epec

First Name
Wensen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Ford MME
Country flag
i had similar problem when it got into Texas summer. I ended up buy a third party charger plug into the 240V outlet. the 3rd party one has much bigger cable and with 40A flowing through the system, not even warm . so I won't consider the mobile charger from Ford is a 4-season solution (at least for Texas) . I keep it in car trunk as back uo now

Haven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT 7-8-21, Flex
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My dealer kept the car for a day, but didn’t have a 240V outlet to test it. Instead they got distracted by a DC charging bulletin and did some updates. Told me to see how it goes and call them if the issue persists.

How did you convince them to give you a replacement when they didn’t have a 240V outlet? And is your replacement working better?

Thanks!
Actually my dealer ended up getting complaints by other customers and finally installed 240v. I was about ready to take it to a different dealership (and my future business) that said they could take care of me when the dealer said, “we have had other customers with charger problems and now we can test them.”

If your dealer can’t help, find another one that can.

My replacement is working as expected. It makes me think that the mobile charger is not robust enough for an every day charger. I have a ChargePoint at home and use the mobile charger for 5 months out of the year in Florida.

I don’t know if they have improved the charger or if I will have problems with it down the line.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Actually my dealer ended up getting complaints by other customers and finally installed 240v. I was about ready to take it to a different dealership (and my future business) that said they could take care of me when the dealer said, “we have had other customers with charger problems and now we can test them.”

If your dealer can’t help, find another one that can.
And I'll add that the EV dealers are supposed to have 240V outlets to test chargers. If they don't by now, then you are 100% justified complaining about it.
Sponsored