Huge screen with zero Entertainment options !

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ha ha the frunk is a magic place!

Tbh though, that was definitely all for show. Even if I did want to carry my Xbox around the latency was too much to make it actually playable
Lol that was you going through all that? ? I’m impressed!

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
A few weeks ago, Google announced upcoming (late 2022) support for YouTube and maybe other video streaming apps on Android Automotive. As far as I've seen though, they've not made a similar announcement for Android Auto. Confusingly, the two are not the same.
There is a major difference between the Android Auto (phone app) and Android Automotive (infotainment system). The part I don't understand is why they allow games to be played natively on Android Auto, but not videos. Maybe there is an issue with Android Auto not knowing the state of the car being in park or drive. Android Automotive would have those details since it is baked into the infotainment system. As a workaround they should be able to use the GPS to know if the car is not in park, and take appropriate action while using Android Auto.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
There is a major difference between the Android Auto (phone app) and Android Automotive (infotainment system). The part I don't understand is why they allow games to be played natively on Android Auto, but not videos. Maybe there is an issue with Android Auto not knowing the state of the car being in park or drive. Android Automotive would have those details since it is baked into the infotainment system. As a workaround they should be able to use the GPS to know if the car is not in park, and take appropriate action while using Android Auto.
The GPS receiver in your phone doesn't provide a way to know if a vehicle is parked versus stopped. (Or even if you're in a vehicle, or if you're the driver, etc.)

You can't play the games while the vehicle's moving. I haven't checked to see if they differentiate between stopped and parked, but this would be easy for anyone to test.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The GPS receiver in your phone doesn't provide a way to know if a vehicle is parked versus stopped. (Or even if you're in a vehicle, or if you're the driver, etc.)

You can't play the games while the vehicle's moving. I haven't checked to see if they differentiate between stopped and parked, but this would be easy for anyone to test.
Technically you're correct about the parked/stopped. However the GPS would know if you're in a car based on speed calculations, that is basically how all the turn by turn features work when you use navigation. Android Auto wouldn't need to worry about who the driver or passenger is. If Android Auto is running and is connected to the car the safety features would be enabled until the car is stopped for X amount of time (or some other condition).

I haven't tested the games yet to see if it gets disabled after shifting out of park, or if it based on movement. The point I was trying to make is if you can have those safety features for a game app the same can be applied to any app in Android Auto.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I confirmed that when you use the games feature in Android Auto it gets disabled after you put the car into reverse or drive. If you use OPD it won't get disabled until you actually start to move. Once you put the car back into park it will resume the game you were playing.

Knowing this it makes even less sense why Android Auto won't allow you to use video streaming apps, they clearly have the functionality needed to make this work in a safe way ?.

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
Pluto tv plays just fine I’m sitting here charging and watching kill Bill vol 2. Audio and video are perfectly synced
Sponsored