Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E AWD SR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just got back from a 970 mile trip here in the UK. Of course, that’s nothing much compared with the length of road trips that some of you in the US make! The last leg of the journey was 241 miles from Rattlesden in Suffolk to Preston in Lancashire: A14 > M1 > A50 > M6 which is nearly all dual carriageway or motorway / highway.

My car is a 2022 model year Mach E AWD with the Standard Range battery having usable capacity of 70 kWh (75 kWh installed). I have had the car since March 2022 and have now done 4385 miles. Before setting off on this trip my efficiency for all miles driven was 3.33 miles / kWh which gives an effective range of 233 miles. So I should not have been able to drive that last leg of the journey of 241 miles without stopping to recharge. However, it is summer here in the UK so no cabin heating required, and I had noticed on previous legs of this trip that I was getting more range than the GOM predicted at the start of each leg. So I decided to see if I could drive this 241 mile leg of the trip without having to recharge. I had a fallback plan of stopping at the DCFC chargers at junction 27 on the M6, 14 miles from destination, just in case things didn’t look like they were going to work out. I started out from Rattlesden at 100% state of charge, the car fully charged by my mother-in-law’s solar electricity. On arrival at destination in Preston, having driven 241 miles, the car had 8% battery remaining with an indicated 22 miles on the GOM. So the range was effectively 241 + 22 = 263 miles, efficiency 241 / ((1 – 0.08) x 70) = 3.74 miles / kWh.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I beat the WLTP Range in my Mach E AWD SR IPC after trip of 16 Aug 2022

That effective range of 263 miles beats the official WLTP range of 248 miles as shown in the “Mustang Mach-E Customer Pricelist - Effective 18th November 2021” – see a snip of that document which was effective when I ordered the car in January 2022. WLTP range of 249 miles is stated on the Wikipedia page (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_Mach-E) for the Mach E AWD Standard Range but I note that the information shown is for the original 2021 cars which had 68kWh of usable battery capacity in the Standard Range battery. So there is something not quite right there: if 68kWh could do 249 miles on the WLTP test then 70kWh (from the same battery pack, same weight vehicle) should do 70 / 68 x 249 = 256 miles. Anyhow, whether the WLTP range for AWD Standard Range is 248, 249, or 256 miles, I am really pleased to have achieved a real world range of 263 miles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I beat the WLTP Range in my Mach E AWD SR Mustang Mach-E Customer Pricelist Effective 18 Nov 2021.JPG

I am going to admit that, for the last 63 miles of the 241 mile trip, I did drive gently to maximise my efficiency. I kept a steady 55 to 65 mph, mostly in the slow lane of the motorway / highway. I will also admit to driving a safe distance behind big trucks to let them “pull me along” for perhaps half of the miles. It certainly seems to make a difference as FordPass > Vehicle > Charging > My EV driving shows an efficiency of 4.7 miles / kWh for those miles. That’s way higher than the average 3.74 miles / kWh for the whole 241 miles. I think they call it “hypermiling”. I wonder how high the efficiency can go?

Ford Mustang Mach-E I beat the WLTP Range in my Mach E AWD SR FordPass My EV Driving 16 Aug 2022