Is the kWh in Ford Pass accurate?

E-Maziu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E RWD Premium
Country flag
Hi guys,

I have a question related to kWh accuracy and real life range estimate.

I wanted to know how many miles per kWh I can do in my real life trips…so I decided to see how many miles I drove from 80% battery to 60%, and then recharge up to 80% to see how many kWh I had used.

The issue came when my charger said it had recharged 15.21 kWh BUT Ford pass says it only recharged 12 kwh

Who should I trust: my charger or the Ford Pass?

I have a premium RWD std battery, so I was thinking that 80% to 60% would be around 13.6kWh (20% x 68kwh)…but none of the two match my quick math.

Lastly: is the “Trip 1” estimate accurate?

Please let me know what you guys think!

Sincerely
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Hi guys,

I have a question related to kWh accuracy and real life range estimate.

I wanted to know how many miles per kWh I can do in my real life trips…so I decided to see how many miles I drove from 80% battery to 60%, and then recharge up to 80% to see how many kWh I had used.

The issue came when my charger said it had recharged 15.21 kWh BUT Ford pass says it only recharged 12 kwh

Who should I trust: my charger or the Ford Pass?

I have a premium RWD std battery, so I was thinking that 80% to 60% would be around 13.6kWh (20% x 68kwh)…but none of the two match my quick math.

Please let me know what you guys think!

Sincerely
The charger is probably reporting input. Don’t forget that there are inefficiencies and overhead in the charger. Additionally, there are inefficiencies in the charging circuits in the MME. So, the answer is they are probably both very close to correct.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Keep in mind, EV is not a gas car. Rain, wind, being too cold or too hot, humidity, HVAC settings, accelerator management, weight, tire pressure, if you happened to fart before getting in the car, it all effects an EVs efficiency. There is really no way to know exactly how many miles you can go on XYZ trip, there's just way too many factors. You can however get a general idea and just leave yourself a good buffer.

The car is like a broken clock, its bound to be right 2 times a day. Also keep in mind, supply and delivery are two different things.. You still get some loss, although 3kWh might be a little more than I'd expect to see. I don't have one my self, but an ODB scanner might be a good thing if you REALLY want to see your battery usage and power received by the car.

From my experiences... The FordPass app is INCREDIBLY inaccurate when showing how much kWh is used during a charge. I've noticed if I check the charging status that it seems to be a little closer, but if you go in and look at the logs they are WAY off, not even in the same ballpark. I've also had the status show incorrect data as well, like being plugged in for 45hrs or charging 100 something kWh on a 20% charge. It constantly shows my end charging time as the time I unplug the car and not the actual time the car stopped charging. The software also reports that the car charges at times that its not supposed to charge, and I'm fairly sure its not actually charging. The software in this car was written by a middle schooler, its horrible.

Actually found an example when looking at my logs just now. Plugged in at 73% at 8:08PM and yet charging "started" at 5:00PM....... And as you can see, charging end time is the same as the unplugged time. The car is on L2, it was done charging well before 7:33. I don't have one log that actually has my charging end time set correctly.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the kWh in Ford Pass accurate? IMG_1346

Absolutely not from my experiences and also from what I've read on the forums.
Sponsored