It was only a matter of time......researchers from Berlin hack a Tesla. Paid features unlocked for free.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Tesla lend their cars to White hat hacking conventions. Even pay the winners. They want to know the vulnerabilities. Not surprising that there are other vulnerbilities. This one seems to require physical contact with the car. I would be more concern when the car can be hacked remotely.

On the plus side, it looks like they could activate some paid features like FSD and acceleration boost.

Wonder if they can work on the MME and get rid of the 5sec limit.

https://electrek.co/2023/03/24/tesla-hacked-winning-hackers-model-3/

OP
OP
bbhaag

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Tesla lend their cars to White hat hacking conventions. Even pay the winners. They want to know the vulnerabilities. Not surprising that there are other vulnerbilities. This one seems to require physical contact with the car. I would be more concern when the car can be hacked remotely.

On the plus side, it looks like they could activate some paid features like FSD and acceleration boost.

Wonder if they can work on the MME and get rid of the 5sec limit.

https://electrek.co/2023/03/24/tesla-hacked-winning-hackers-model-3/
Agreed but the difference between the one you linked to and the one I linked to is the one I linked to is a hardware level exploit which is much harder for AMD and Tesla to patch. It's honestly next to impossible becasue the exploit is "baked" into the cpu at time of manufacturing.

Who knows though. This may all be a ruse to get the hackers some attention. According to the article they are going to present their findings on August 9th at the Blackhat Conference in Las Vegas.

Last edited:

Jtbuster

First Name
Brian oConnor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
According to the researchers you must “Utilizing multiple connections to the power supply, BIOS SPI chip, and SVI2 bus, the researchers performed a voltage fault injection attack on the MCU-Z's Platform Security”
I guess nobody read the article nor understood the material.
Sponsored