I was only whelmed by my Tesla test drives

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
My wife and I test drove a Y before I picked up my Mach-E GT. The only thing she liked better were the door handles, she still doesn't like the button to open (I do like it.) She thought the interior was cheap looking, the seats were not as comfortable as the Mach-E that we test drove (which was a standard one, not a GT). When she drove it, she hated looking over at the screen to see how fast she was going. She likes the interior and seats on the Mach-E and thinks they look like quality materials. Since she was one of the top interior designers in our area before she sold her business, that is a really positive statement. I agree with all the statements about the Tesla outdated design and blah feeling. When I get in my GT in the mornings, I smile and look forward to driving it.
I've had many vehicles from mustangs to vettes. Nothing gets the stares / questions / comments like the MME does. Most don't know anything about it. Those that recognize the pony get thrown off by the rear doors.
Sponsored

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
To be fair I am using Spotify's compressed streams even at Max (don't know where the hell their audio update is they promised over one year ago)

And sxm. So I probably should try like a tidal or apple music or something.

I was just listening to the Tesla streaming station of today's alternative. I had read they are getting ready to add Atmos and the sound system is well reviewed, but damn it was crystal clear and sounded great.
In Spotify you can tweak the output with their mini equalizer. The Mach e sound controls should have increased bass and treble set. But every ear hears differently. Amazon Music pumps music with more force. It all depends on the listener. Otherwise only 1 sound system would sell at Best Buy, everyone knowing the others were inferior.

Deleted member 16048

I just have to say that I agree with the original posts observations here. I rented a Tesla Model 3 in Orlando last weekend. It wasn't my first time driving one since I have a friend who owns one, but the learning curve was extreme for everything. Just adjusting mirrors felt buried in all the menus. There definitely needs to be real buttons for some things, and touch screen for others.

Autopilot honestly felt more drunk than BlueCruise for me. The follow distance was all over the place and I had to take over multiple times because it wasn't keeping up to the speed id have set like a driver would.

Some of the features the Tesla app has are really great and hope someday Ford can do these improvements and features too. Might just take them more time to do it.

The biggest thing I really noticed and didn't like was the road noise. It's just a loud car to drive, even though the drive is fun. It felt like a fun golf cart, but that isn't quality. It felt cheap even though it isn't.

The best part was the charging experience. That is something that was amazing, but I feel like it can be done with other EV's. Just need to get a standard that they all agree on to make it happen.

Just my thoughts after having it for several days.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
This 1000x over -- It should be law for a display to remain in front of the driver. This is one thing I will not stop bringing up. Tesla literally took the Model A approach, minimalist mainstream.

I've found the MME's sound system to be adequate for stock, of course my sliders are moved and I think I've since blown the sub. Far better than the B&O in my F150 currently getting ripped out.

As for most things buried in touch display. Well, for a driver that's on the road driving, touch screens are dangerous (more than 2x as dangerous to fugg w/ touch screen than a phone).
My F150 is full of buttons, instant working, no fuss. There's no replacement for it.

Beautiful buttons a plenty....
1674524553049.png

1674524900314.png

It can also display various camera angles in motion while still retaining other controls :)
I want to gag on all those buttons, what a cluster of a mess!

I have to admit I was one of the haters when Tesla introduced the big screen without a display in front of the steering wheel, but I've been converted. I think most of the complaints now are from people who have never driven a Tesla and/or just want to hate it for being different. After owning one for four year, I can say I don't miss a front display or a bank of a myriad of buttons in the slightest.

First, what's actually on the front display that you need to see, besides the current speed, and perhaps the turn signal. You need to look down away from the road to see those either way, and they're both displayed prominently on the upper left of the Tesla display so you're looking literally a few inches apart from where you'd be looking on a front display. Oh, also the turn signal activates the blind spot cameras so you can easily tell they're activated with your peripheral vision (not to mention audible confirmation via the clicking sounds).

Regarding the blind-spot cameras - you actually need to change your view less to see your blind spot as opposed to looking at the side mirrors.

Using the screen becomes second nature once you're used to it and I don't look at it any more frequently or for longer than I've looked at any of my vehicle screens in the past 10 years. I've owned Fords and other cars with all those "convenient" buttons and I find I still need to look down to make sure I'm hitting the Max Defrost as opposed to the Upper-Mid vent button. There's really not much difference there.

Oh yeah, Tesla voice commands are very easy and extensive, allowing you to control many functions without your hands leaving the wheel or your eyes leaving the road.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I want to gag on all those buttons, what a cluster of a mess!

I have to admit I was one of the haters when Tesla introduced the big screen without a display in front of the steering wheel, but I've been converted. I think most of the complaints now are from people who have never driven a Tesla and/or just want to hate it for being different. After owning one for four year, I can say I don't miss a front display or a bank of a myriad of buttons in the slightest.

First, what's actually on the front display that you need to see, besides the current speed, and perhaps the turn signal. You need to look down away from the road to see those either way, and they're both displayed prominently on the upper left of the Tesla display so you're looking literally a few inches apart from where you'd be looking on a front display. Oh, also the turn signal activates the blind spot cameras so you can easily tell they're activated with your peripheral vision (not to mention audible confirmation via the clicking sounds).

Regarding the blind-spot cameras - you actually need to change your view less to see your blind spot as opposed to looking at the side mirrors.

Using the screen becomes second nature once you're used to it and I don't look at it any more frequently or for longer than I've looked at any of my vehicle screens in the past 10 years. I've owned Fords and other cars with all those "convenient" buttons and I find I still need to look down to make sure I'm hitting the Max Defrost as opposed to the Upper-Mid vent button. There's really not much difference there.

Oh yeah, Tesla voice commands are very easy and extensive, allowing you to control many functions without your hands leaving the wheel or your eyes leaving the road.
There's no amount of attempting to excuse away utility that could be leveraged to change the functionality and safety that buttons on the s. wheel provide. It's analogous to that of a keyboard, which has no replacement. It's been found that playing with the center touch screen is more dangerous than texting, which has prompted laws in pretty much every state restricting the handling of a phone. I'd bet there's already a dozen different pieces of proposed legislation that's going to restrict usage and functionality of the screen while moving. With any luck it won't backwards affect those of us who've already got them via future patches, though I do think it's a possibility.

If I want art, I'll buy some. There's no replacement for at-hand buttons however, particularly in a complex system. Voice prompting is clunky and slow at best.
Sponsored