Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Well that’s fun... It looks like I’m going to be getting a new battery pack in the next few months. ?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
They dont have a root cause yet based on the above article - so the software fixes and battery pack replacements may solve the issue or may not - just hope it does not cause human or property damage - but we have heard similar stories about tesla too I think.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That is not good news. Any fires of BEVs bring huge negative press

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
This might explain a few vehicle delays (along with the Ford Kuga PHEV fires, BMW BEV recall, etc.). Ford notified dealers this week that both the Escape PHEV and the Lincoln Corsair PHEV are delayed until Spring 2021 and Fall 2021, respectively. IIRC, all of the vehicles in question use LG Chem batteries.

OP
OP

tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
This might explain a few vehicle delays (along with the Ford Kuga PHEV fires, BMW BEV recall, etc.). Ford notified dealers this week that both the Escape PHEV and the Lincoln Corsair PHEV are delayed until Spring 2021 and Fall 2021, respectively. IIRC, all of the vehicles in question use LG Chem batteries.
That's why I posted the news. I think Ford is likely to be very cautious about releasing customer cars until they are sure they are not going to be recalling the first 8000 cars. (there are 25,000 Kona EV under recall!) Fallback position for Ford is to release dealer demos, but hold off on customer cars. For me, with a first reservation day Premium number in mid 4000s , my tax planning is shifting to 2021. With reported two week December Christmas shutdown at plant and now LG recall I think the chance of seeing any customer cars this year is slim. In Texas we had potential $2500 credit and at federal level of course $7500 tax credit, so not a trivial amount of money. Lithium is extremely tricky to work with because of fires. Years ago one of my electronics design contractors had a client building some of the early lithium batteries - and serious factory fires.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
(there are 25,000 Kona EV under recall!)
I believe the 25,000 figure is for South Korea alone. Hyundai has sold over 100,000 Kona EV's globally. Most of those fall under the recall range (Sept 2017 - March 2020 production). ? We'll know more once they fully file for a voluntary recall with NHTSA. They started a service campaign in May to update the BMS software which is likely what the recall will be about. The BMS update appears to more closely watch for voltage deviations in each cell in the traction battery. A number of people who've gotten the BMS update then were soon unable to start their Kona due to an EV battery error. The consensus seems to be that the update isn't breaking the Kona, it's catching batteries that are starting to fail (which is a good thing) which Hyundai is then replacing. I haven't had the update yet myself, but will schedule it shortly.

Part of me hopes this recall ends up forcing a buyback of my Kona in 2021... just in time for me to take delivery of my new Mach-E Premium. ?

Last edited: