Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It's not 10% off the top. That 10% is split between the top and the bottom of the charging range. Note Ford's recommendation:
p 149
Ford Mustang Mach-E Leave it plugged in, or unplug? Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 9.49.57 PM
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
It's not 10% off the top. That 10% is split between the top and the bottom of the charging range. Note Ford's recommendation:
p 149
Ford Mustang Mach-E Leave it plugged in, or unplug? Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 9.49.57 PM
Yeah, just seems like my standard range is shrinking the more I read. I’ll see how my every other day plan works. I should only need 75 miles a day on average.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah, just seems like my standard range is shrinking the more I read. I’ll see how my every other day plan works. I should only need 75 miles a day on average.
It's not really shrinking though. A 100% fill up is there for you when you actually need it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It's not really shrinking though. A 100% fill up is there for you when you actually need it.
Exactly.

With a 75 mile per day drive, every two days is 150 miles. 90% is plenty.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A 100% fill up is there for you when you actually need it.
Except when I don’t know that I need it.

With a 75 mile per day drive, every two days is 150 miles. 90% is plenty.
It should be, I’m just worried that on one of the off days I’ll have to run around a bunch and run out of battery.

I’ll set it to 90% and see how it goes. I do want it to last as long as possible, I just don’t want to have constant Range anxiety.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

It should be, I’m just worried that on one of the off days I’ll have to run around a bunch and run out of battery.

I’ll set it to 90% and see how it goes. I do want it to last as long as possible, I just don’t want to have constant Range anxiety.
Check out your metro area on PlugShare.com. An unexpected day with well over a 100 miles of driving might not be an issue. You can filter PlugShare to only show you the CCS stations so you can have an idea of what the faster charging options are along your routes.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Check out your metro area on PlugShare.com. An unexpected day with well over a 100 miles of driving might not be an issue. You can filter PlugShare to only show you the CCS stations so you can have an idea of what the faster charging options are along your routes.
Ya I have the app, there are a few stations around, not a ton near my work. We’ll see how it goes.

I set it to charge to 90% at home in the app. How do you override it to go to 100% when you want? Do I have to go in and change the limitation?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ya I have the app, there are a few stations around, not a ton near my work. We’ll see how it goes.

I set it to charge to 90% at home in the app. How do you override it to go to 100% when you want? Do I have to go in and change the limitation?
In addition to the method on the app that @macchiaz-o showed you, in the car you can turn off your departure setting
Ford Mustang Mach-E Leave it plugged in, or unplug? Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.37.57 PM

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's a button for temporary override.
Ahh ok. I set my charging limit while the car was already charging. So it hit 90 and never stopped, probably because it was set to charge to 100 when the session started. So for me I don’t see that button. I just manually stopped it when it hit 90. I’ll check again tomorrow night and see if it shows up.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Leave it plugged in, or unplug? B35BD7EE-5120-428F-B42B-E56CEA35FFE3

In addition to the method on the app that @macchiaz-o showed you, in the car you can turn off your departure setting
Good to know too! So I would just turn charging locations off.

Thank you both!

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Exactly. I always charge all my EVs to 100%. Never had an issue and don't expect any with Mache either. I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion by the other company that leaves a 2% buffer so it can claim range rights.

Tron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-E premium AWD STD - Infinite Blue
Country flag
Good info!

I've been working on my range anxiety. If it gets to 30 percent, I start getting nervous. This may actually stem from gas vehicles, because at a quarter tank I would start planning a trip to the gas pump. (I drive like 10 miles a day during the week). Weekends vary.

In reality, 30 percent is still a decent amount of range, and the convenience of filling up at home hasn't really sunk in yet.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Exactly. I always charge all my EVs to 100%. Never had an issue and don't expect any with Mache either. I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion by the other company that leaves a 2% buffer so it can claim range rights.
I suspect that buffer is there because they know that most people are going to charge to 100%. My Wife freaked out when she saw the low battery alarm for the first time! She likes to see the max range at 100%.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
The problem is that you won’t know you are having an issue until 5-10 years pass, it is an issue of increased degradation, not breaking something. I work with the manufacturers of these batteries for stationary storage applications and when calculating 20 year degradation curves the first thing they want to know after the cycle count is “how many hours above 90% SOC?”

Now that may not matter if you aren’t planning on keeping the cars for a long time, but eventually the used car markets will get wise and the state of health of your battery will impact resale prices.

Now, all that said, it isn’t like people have to be crazy about it - the suggestion is just to not charge to 100% unless you know you need it that day. Most people don’t fill their gas tanks every day just before getting home to make sure they leave the house the next morning with a full tank.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
The problem is that you won’t know you are having an issue until 5-10 years pass, it is an issue of increased degradation, not breaking something. I work with the manufacturers of these batteries for stationary storage applications and when calculating 20 year degradation curves the first thing they want to know after the cycle count is “how many hours above 90% SOC?”
Not to be argumentative but you don't know either way as well. There has been almost no degradation evident on the Volt engineering base, which is what the Mache is based on, which has an over protective buffer. I think Mary Barra once said that GM has not had to change a single Bolt or Volt battery for degradation warranty. There are Bolts out there with over 300,000 miles on them, 100% charges, very little degradation visible. My 2010 volt has over 4000 100% cycles on it almost no degradation visible. With all due respect I don't think your storage solution has anything close to auto grade cooling and engineering or out in the field experience. The buffer over protection makes it so 100% usable charge is meaningless. You can never get 100% charge or discharge.

Now if you do a true charge to 100% which on the Mache is something like 108% charge and let it sit there for a month or two I can see rapid degradation happening. But engineering makes this impossible.

Let's take to the next step, OK you have degradation, so what. Your car is old out of warranty, spend $5000 to $10,000 and get a recondition battery core put in. I bet the core will be newer and will actually increase range! I just don't understand this one.
Sponsored