Left deposit at Ford. Dealer did not credit and now won't refund

scottjays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 M50i, C8 HTC, Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
Dealer in Delray Beach FL was selected at time of Ford order and deposit was left online, credit charged June 30. Mustang was delivered Late Nov. (great vehicle) had a pretty great easy experience at dealership. I forgot about the deposit, When I placed I figured it would on sales order sheet. again my bad for not checking but now they are not quick to respond to this deposit. I offered to show them the credit card statement...but they really should be able to see the deposit as this dealership was the one I selected. Any one else experience this ?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
One option is to dispute the charge on your card.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Yes, the dealer "forgot" to credit mine, and stopped returning my calls. I had to call the GM. He needed me to be nice on the Ford dealer feedback survey, so he refunded me immediately. Literally, in less than a minute.

I believe that 'forgotten' deposits are a big component of the dealership profit model.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
You could also try Ford.

Ford automatically refunded mine when I converted my reservation to an order.

Dealer never got my $500.

Basically, it depends on who “has your money.” That’s who will give it back to you. If the dealer never got the $500, then they have nothing to refund, it would be up to Ford.

OP
OP

scottjays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 M50i, C8 HTC, Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
One option is to dispute the charge on your card.
I told them today...check in hand by Monday o
You could also try Ford.

Ford automatically refunded mine when I converted my reservation to an order.

Dealer never got my $500.

Basically, it depends on who “has your money.” That’s who will give it back to you. If the dealer never got the $500, then they have nothing to refund, it would be up to Ford.
My credit card statement shows the dealerships name charged me the $500 deposit

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You most likely cant dispute a charge after 60 days
You can file a dispute with the credit card company any time. Most will immediately credit it back to the card, then pursue the offender. Some will cite a 60 day limitation, but it is easy to cancel such a card and find a different one who values you as a customer.

Cherie

First Name
Cherie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Dealer in Delray Beach FL was selected at time of Ford order and deposit was left online, credit charged June 30. Mustang was delivered Late Nov. (great vehicle) had a pretty great easy experience at dealership. I forgot about the deposit, When I placed I figured it would on sales order sheet. again my bad for not checking but now they are not quick to respond to this deposit. I offered to show them the credit card statement...but they really should be able to see the deposit as this dealership was the one I selected. Any one else experience this ?
When I got home I realized same, Dealer found no record of my deposit(!) , so I emailed the finance guy a copy of my credit card statement, and then they refunded my card.

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
I had a similar scenario. My deposit was $1000 and I asked about it when I made the purchase, but it was a Saturday and they said their business office was closed, and they couldn't verify the deposit, but they'd get my money back the next Monday. I did get something in writing on that at least.
No response on Monday. A few voicemails later and I finally went in on a weekday. They said they were working on it (yeah right) and they'd let me know ASAP.
On the way home they called and said they'd credit my card the deposit amount, and did just that. I think coming in was the only way to get them to actually act on it.
Sponsored