awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Hi! Another charging question. I replaced by Ford charger, that came with the car) to a Grizzle-E - My garage is not insulated, so it can get over 100 degrees. When we went to leave this morning this is what it sounded like! Yikes! Should I be concerned? The Ford charger started sounding like this before I replaced it.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Sounds to me like it is the cooling fan working overtime. Have you got a departure time set in your setttings and is it set to cool?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Did you walk around the front to see if the vents were open? (My guess is they were and those are the fans you're hearing).

If its over 100 in your garage then yeah I'd expect a racket.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Car cools the onboard charger and the battery. If it is hot you're gonna have this happen. It cools the charger off with coolant running past the radiator and it cools the battery with the A/C compressor which requires air going past the condenser.

If you have a job 1 2021 with really old software this can happen too even if its not hot.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Normal for Arizona hot summers, yes you should expect this in Texas too. It is the cars cooling fan running. My ChargePoint is set to provide 40A and it gets this loud in 100+ temps, even with all the latest software updates.

OP
OP

awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Sounds to me like it is the cooling fan working overtime. Have you got a departure time set in your setttings and is it set to cool?
Yes, but this was about 10-15 minutes before the preconditioning is set.

OP
OP

awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Normal for Arizona hot summers, yes you should expect this in Texas too. It is the cars cooling fan running. My ChargePoint is set to provide 40A and it gets this loud in 100+ temps, even with all the latest software updates.
Thank for the confirmation! I'm going to set the charging time to start around 10pm, maybe that will help a little!

OP
OP

awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Car cools the onboard charger and the battery. If it is hot you're gonna have this happen. It cools the charger off with coolant running past the radiator and it cools the battery with the A/C compressor which requires air going past the condenser.

If you have a job 1 2021 with really old software this can happen too even if its not hot.
Makes perfect sense! Thanks

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
When I first bought the car in June last year, the fan would come on while charging even when it wasn't that hot. After an update applied at the dealer, most of the time I'd just hear coolant flowing with no fan. Sounds kind of like a washing machine sloshing water around when it starts flowing the coolant, but again no fan noise.

I'm not sure if that fan update was ever included in any of the OTA PowerUp updates. If it did it's not showing in the version history in Wikipedia. How long have you had your car? Perhaps you car doesn't have that update, or it could just be your 100 degree garage and does require the fan to come on.

TuxToaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Yes, but this was about 10-15 minutes before the preconditioning is set.
The preconditioning accomplishes two things - to precondition the temperature of the battery and the condition the cabin. As it takes longer to cool the battery, preconditioning starts well before your set departure time so it makes sense that it would be running the cooler 30 minutes prior, if not even a bit earlier than that.

911roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Occupation
RN
Country flag
my gt has never made any noise like that. Iā€™m sticking with the Ford charger and see no reason to change. I top off at 80% btw itā€™s been in the high 90ā€™s all week

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The compressor for the AC is the part that is so loud. If it's only a little warm it only uses the fans, if it's really warm you get the AC too.... Faster charging rate ties into it (faster charge, more heat generated). In a closed garage in the summer (not sure the temp in there, but had to be over 100 in the garage) I have had it get loud with even a L1 charger as there is so much ambient heat it's the only option... If on the edge, lowering the charge rate can keep it from going into overdrive on the cooling...

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Definitely was a fan speed adjustment included in 2.7.1-2.7.4 when charging
Sponsored