Mach E effect on Ford stock price?

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I prefer companies that don't pay dividends. First, it comes out of stock price anyway. Second, it's double taxed.
One way to handle that is by holding it in a retirement account to avoid taxes that way.

Stock now up considerably for the week.
Sponsored

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I think it depends on your investment strategy. There are other reasons to oppose dividends as well. I was making a bit of a joke. On the plus side, a dividend is a way to provide a return (reward) to the “owners of” (investors in) the company, based on its performance. Think about how a partnership works. Stock price is pretty meaningless until realized. It’s nice that my massive stock holdings have an on-paper value of $100, but that doesn’t mean anything because I could have invested in some crappy company that collapses tomorrow.
If you like receiving dividends you can arrange it with any stock. Just sell a small portion of the stock on a regular basis, whatever dividend rate you desire. You will end up even better than actual dividends because it will be taxed only once.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I have a 12 year BEV/Hybrid and it still gives me the rated EV range. Other than that one ahem company and the Leaf with no liquid cooling, auto batteries are holding up real well. If anything I think the mechanical components will fail long before the battery.

A reconditioned battery will give you a like new car. Available for ~$5,000 with exchange of core. Its not that difficult to get in and recondition a battery to close to new. AFAIK other than accidents and few damage failures all the Volts and I3's and Leafs are still running around, very few are hitting junk yard due to battery.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
If you like receiving dividends you can arrange it with any stock. Just sell a small portion of the stock on a regular basis, whatever dividend rate you desire. You will end up even better than actual dividends because it will be taxed only once.
Haha, you’re assuming the stock appreciates in value at regular intervals ? In any event, way back when I was a wee little MBA student,, one of my professors maintained that dividends were a sign of lazy or incompetent management because management should be investing that money back into the company - product development, market expansion, something. His argument was that if management couldn’t find anything that would return more value to the shareholders over the long term than to just give money back to them so they could invest it elsewhere, then management wasn’t doing their job ?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Long term I wonder about personal car sales for the whole automotive industry. EVs have much slimmer margins. Plus the combination of OTA and 300M+ mile batteries translates to longer lifespans and less frequent replacements.

Then there's the prospect of commercial robotaxi shuttlepod fleets. If/when those get perfected without the cost of a driver involved, personal car ownership could plummet.

This is all probably a decade+ away, but at that point, the survivors may be the ones focused more on commercial vehicles and fleet shuttlepods.
This is all probably a decade+ away, but at that point, the survivors may be the ones focused more on commercial vehicles and fleet shuttlepods.----in large metro areas, yes. In far flung rural areas, no way.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
My bet is Ford doesn't pay a dividend as it invests in retooling for manufacturing electric vehicles. As a share holder I miss the dividend and have decided on a sell price. I am clearly in the green here already but I think it will make my number.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I am assuming no such thing. The price of a stock paying a dividend is adjusted by the amount of the dividend. It's totally equivalent to paying yourself as I described.
Ok

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My bet is Ford doesn't pay a dividend as it invests in retooling for manufacturing electric vehicles. As a share holder I miss the dividend and have decided on a sell price. I am clearly in the green here already but I think it will make my number.
Which is exactly what my investments professor would say is the right thing to do all those many years ago, way back in the dark ages (the 20th century ?

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Ford paid dividends until the last year financial fiasco. You can expect them start paying dividends as soon as they start making profit again.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Price per share for F beat $16 today. I'm betting it'll make $20 on a good day, before the end of the year. I would definitely keep it if it paid a dividend but as the price goes up it's getting tempting.

High return dividend ETFs are paying greater than 5% annual, paid monthly.
Sponsored