First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Nissan Rogue, Future Infinite Blue Mach E
Country flag
The lease calculator on the VW site uses a down payment of $3500. In addition there is the $7500 fed tax credit that is used to reduce cap cost. So to try to get an equal starting point for Ford Options I used the same down payment plus $7500.
Ok understood. Maybe manufacturers are all calculating EV's this way vs ICE vehicles. If so it makes the transition to EV's much more difficult. I hope the pricing I get is as close.

Where I am not only is it "close", the MME is likely/actually less.

Here are the specifics:

1. Directly from Tesla's website: The Model Y lease for 3 years 10K miles is $479/month with $4500 down and including the $1500 Clean Rebate. So $479/month with $6000 down.

2. Directly from the Ford website: The options payment for the MME Premium AWD with Extended Battery with $13,500 down (that's Tesla's $6000 down plus the $7500 tax credit) and a three year term is $497.82.

That's less than $20. Take into account the X-plan discount, which you can get if you have a pulse, and the MME Options payment is likely less than the Model Y's $479.00.

Hope I never have to use you accountant! 😂 Kidding aside, I don't know why you think the payments are all that different.
Did you see my CANADIAN numbers. They are not close I just stated I get a MY lease for 850$ with 5250 down. The MME is 1200$ with 8000$ down. Im 'putting more down and paying450$ more per month for the MME. I'm in CANADA

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Country flag
See Below

MME Lease.JPG

MY Lease.JPG
I just realized the 8000$ down from my government is already included in the MME lease payment so it's even worse than I thought. That 1200$ lease payment is with 16000$ down

DBC

First Name
Don
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Can you explain why ford is setting the residual so much lower than a model y if you and they think MME is a better and reliable vehicle?

Their actions are saying the actual opposite, and they believe their vehicles will be worth way less compared to tesla 3 yrs from now. The comparison is due tot the fact they are both in same category and MME is trying to complete with them. I really want MME to do well and be better than Model Y, but it seems Ford themselves don't believe that.
Your error is in not recognizing that the tax credit lowers MSRP. Question: What is the difference between a vehicle with an MSRP of $47500 that comes with a $7500 tax credit and a vehicle with an MSRP of $40000? Answer: Nothing.

Process this point and everything becomes clear. Or to put it in terms of a residual, the residual needs to take into account the tax credit. Do that and the 3 year residual for a MME is about 55%, which is not low by any means.

Right now the payments for a three year ride in an MME is roughly the same as a three year ride in a Model Y. When the tax credits go away Ford will either drop MSRP by $7500 or throw $7500 of incentives at every deal. Either way and the payment for a three year ride in a MME will still be about the same as a three year ride in a Model Y.

That the residual as a percentage of MSRP has to take into account the tax credit is made clear by how it's treated in a lease rather than in Options. Add the tax credit to the residual and the residual starts approaching 60%. Does this mean Ford can't decide if the MME will really hold its value or won't hold its value?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Country flag
Your error is in not recognizing that the tax credit lowers MSRP. Question: What is the difference between a vehicle with an MSRP of $47500 that comes with a $7500 tax credit and a vehicle with an MSRP of $40000? Answer: Nothing.

Process this point and everything becomes clear. Or to put it in terms of a residual, the residual needs to take into account the tax credit. Do that and the 3 year residual for a MME is about 55%, which is not low by any means.

Right now the payments for a three year ride in an MME is roughly the same as a three year ride in a Model Y. When the tax credits go away Ford will either drop MSRP by $7500 or throw $7500 of incentives at every deal. Either way and the payment for a three year ride in a MME will still be about the same as a three year ride in a Model Y.

That the residual as a percentage of MSRP has to take into account the tax credit is made clear by how it's treated in a lease rather than in Options. Add the tax credit to the residual and the residual starts approaching 60%. Does this mean Ford can't decide if the MME will really hold its value or won't hold its value?
By your calculations and by FredT's calculations there must be something very wrong on our side of the border cause i can get 2 model Y's for 1 MME according to Fords calculator and its not exagerating. The MME leaee with my EV credit is 1400$ a month vs 850 for an MY

DBC

First Name
Don
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I just realized the 8000$ down from my government is already included in the MME lease payment so it's even worse than I thought. That 1200$ lease payment is with 16000$ down
Other than the obvious issue that one quote includes sales tax and one doesn't, I can't comment since I don't understand how the rebates work nor do I understand what numbers reflect currency conversions and which don't. I do know that the Tesla lease number always includes available government rebates or incentives. The "savings" includes things like savings on gas. For example, in CA the Model Y lease number includes CA rebates but the MME Options number does not.

I can also tell you that in CA there is no significant difference in the cost of a three year ride in a MME as opposed to a Model Y, unless you opt for Tesla's FSD, in which case the Model Y is much more expensive.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Country flag
Other than the obvious issue that one quote includes sales tax and one doesn't, I can't comment since I don't understand how the rebates work nor do I understand what numbers reflect currency conversions and which don't. I do know that the Tesla lease number always includes available government rebates or incentives. The "savings" includes things like savings on gas. For example, in CA the Model Y lease number includes CA rebates but the MME Options number does not.

I can also tell you that in CA there is no significant difference in the cost of a three year ride in a MME as opposed to a Model Y, unless you opt for Tesla's FSD, in which case the Model Y is much more expensive.
Theres no incentive for Tesla its base MSRP is too high and the taxes amounts to 120$ additional so i really dont understand wtf is going on. 500US$ should equate to under 800cdn.

DBC

First Name
Don
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
By your calculations and by FredT's calculations there must be something very wrong on our side of the border cause i can get 2 model Y's for 1 MME according to Fords calculator and its not exagerating. The MME leaee with my EV credit is 1400$ a month vs 850 for an MY
Could be. I've given you the numbers for California. If you think these numbers are off tell me why.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Country flag
Could be. I've given you the numbers for California. If you think these numbers are off tell me why.
no i dont your numbers make sense. Ford.ca doesnt

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Country flag
No Ford.ca is definetely wrong. From the calculator you can see the estimated car is 56000$, 48 months at 1200$ is 57600. Somebody fucked up. Thats finance for 48months price not lease. They screwed up the calculator.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicles
Mazda CX5, Honda CRV, Mach E ordered
Country flag
Lots of interesting discussion in this and similar threads.

I am wondering if anyone has contacted their ford dealer for real numbers on the leasing side yet?
I have not yet enquired, my car wont be delivered at least until end of January at best, so have time - but just wondering what the response has been if any at all.

DBC

First Name
Don
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Here are the screen shots. Maybe they will help. Note that the Tesla lease includes the CA Clean Air Rebate of $1500 so that is reflected in the down for the MME Options.

Ford Options MME.jpg
Tesla Lease.jpg

DBC

First Name
Don
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Lots of interesting discussion in this and similar threads.

I am wondering if anyone has contacted their ford dealer for real numbers on the leasing side yet?
Answer was "not at this time". Two weeks. But we have some other info which suggests all/some/part of the credit is applied to the residual.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicles
Country flag
Answer was "not at this time". Two weeks. But we have some other info which suggests all/some/part of the credit is applied to the residual.
Yes with that 900$+tx cdn seems right not the 1400 im getting.

DBC

First Name
Don
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
No Ford.ca is definetely wrong. From the calculator you can see the estimated car is 56000$, 48 months at 1200$ is 57600. Somebody fucked up. Thats finance for 48months price not lease. They screwed up the calculator.
Ha ha ha on me. Missed that obvious point. Got lost in the trees and missed the forest.

Good catch.

Advertisement