Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is y you dont do these things. This is how you devalue your product.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/ford-mach-e-resale-residual-value/?s=09
You do realize the source for that and similar articles is an incorrect and disgruntled post here, right? Those numbers are the options balloon payments, which are lower because the buyer keeps the $7500 federal deduction. The actual lease residuals on 3yr RCL are in the mid 50 percent range.

Nonetheless, the "story" is out now and thus its incorrectness doesn't matter.
Sponsored

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
You do realize the source for that and similar articles is an incorrect and disgruntled post here, right? Those numbers are the options balloon payments, which are lower because the buyer keeps the $7500 federal deduction. The actual lease residuals on 3yr RCL are in the mid 50 percent range.

Nonetheless, the "story" is out now and thus its incorrectness doesn't matter.
While i understand you the numbers on the canadian site dont reflect the 50%. The lease numbers as you can see further up from my screenshots reflect the options % and many here in canada dont get 7500$ (10000$ cdn). Im even lucky i get 8000$cdn (6000$us). For many who were considering leasing, options doesnt make sense because they will have to put the balloon payment upfront from their own pocket.

Like i mentioned above also, the financing is cheaper than the lease. The calculations are from Ford's site directly. That doesn't make sense. The finance is literally 200$ cheaper. Thats not peanuts.

Screenshot_20201121-100437_Chrome.jpg

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
While i understand you the numbers on the canadian site dont reflect the 50%. The lease numbers as you can see further up from my screenshots reflect the options % and many here in canada dont get 7500$ (10000$ cdn). Im even lucky i get 8000$cdn (6000$us). For many who were considering leasing, options doesnt make sense because they will have to put the balloon payment upfront from their own pocket.

Like i mentioned above also, the financing is cheaper than the lease. The calculations are from Ford's site directly. That doesn't make sense. The finance is literally 200$ cheaper. Thats not peanuts.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Financing and RCL Leasing Program Announced Screenshot_20201121-100437_Chrome
ahh, that is very curious.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thats y i like the disgruntled article writer are both very disgruntled. Notice he is also canadian.
Yes, I realized that you were both canadian. I was unaware of the marked difference in the RCL in canada, which is my fault for not being thorough.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I realized that you were both canadian. I was unaware of the marked difference in the RCL in canada, which is my fault for not being thorough.
No need to apologize. This makes 1) lease unafordable 2) Do i really want to finance a car that ford believes will depreciate as fast as rosie o'donell falling from mount rushmore

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
No need to apologize. This makes 1) lease unafordable 2) Do i really want to finance a car that ford believes will depreciate as fast as rosie o'donell falling from mount rushmore
You do realize that objects of differing mass fall at the same rate, specifically 9.81 m/s--er neglecting air resistance.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You do realize that objects of differing mass fall at the same rate, specifically 9.81 m/s--er neglecting air resistance.
Remember that @kdryden99 included appropriate terms for air resistance by stating the surface area of the object and the air density ?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is acceleration, the final speed F=MA says that her final speed will be spectacular

Last edited:

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
The Fed credit can certainly be wasted. There are a limited number of credits. If someone buys the car but can not recover all of the $7,500 available, then in a sense that credit is wasted. For example if DJT purchased a MME and only owed $750 in fed tax, then $6,750 of the credit would go unused, effectively wasting the credit.
I would change that to owed or paid $7,500 over the course of the year. Because you can claim back for taxes that you already paid in.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I would change that to owed or paid $7,500 over the course of the year. Because you can claim back for taxes that you already paid in.
?

Did you read the thread? We are discussing a hypothetical where someone whose tax owed is only $750.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
After reviewing the paperwork on my current leases I have an observation/question.

Since sales tax is charged immediately on cap cost reductions, including incentives, rebates, etc., would putting the $7500 into an elevated residual be a strategy to avoid sales tax on the $7500?
No:

The only exception to paying sales tax is the trade in value of a used car. Anything else that you put down as a cap cost reduction is subject to sales tax.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
My starting point is the Tesla Model Y is the standard. Everything else, including the MME is the competition:

The Pros of the Model Y as compared to the First Edition which I have ordered are:

Pros of Model Y:

• Range: 326 vs. 270 miles
  • Acceleration
  • Handling: this may change once we have independent reviews of the MME. To date all we have are postings from employees of Ford - hardly the most reliable source!
  • Price: $49,995 vs. $59,400 First Edition less Fed credit $7,500 = $51,990
  • Charging infrastructure
  • Lease of $633 a month, no money down, 36 months, 10K per year
Pros of MME First Edition:

• Styling both inside and out
  • Quality control
  • Interior layout of the dash
  • Dealer network: but the low volume of the MME may make the MME an "orphan" at many dealerships
  • Parts availability: this is subject to confirmation

To me, the pros and cons are pretty much equal. Without the $7,500 tax credit I would not pay nearly $10,000 more for the First Edition over the Model Y. Nor do I think anyone else would.

Without the Federal Tax Credit, again only my opinion, for those of us that need AWD the Model Y is the clear choice. With the Tax credit the choice is not as clear.

Bottom line: whether you buy or lease without the Federal Tax Credit of $7,500, the Model Y is the clear winner. To be competitive the MME must have the tax credit - and that is true whether you buy or lease.

To lease you need a reasonable residual, minimum 55% and the Federal Tax Credit included in the lease.

You are overstating the Model Y advantages:
  • While the EPA range comparison is valid. the Model Y suffers disproportionately in real world milage comparisons.
  • The acceleration numbers do not differ enough to be significant.
  • Handling why include it unless you are deliberately trying to mislead. As you say there is no current Mach-E data.
  • Using the First Edition as your basis for price comparison instead of the Premium or Select is either dumb or an attempt to deliberately mislead!
  • The charging infrastructure is for now a point in Tesla's favor but becoming less and less so as time goes on and third-party charging stations open across the country.
Sponsored