Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I think a good chunk of the decision for us was around external aesthetics and performance. Around here Teslas are every other car, I don't like their build quality and think they all look generically the same even when in different colors. I wasn't interested in a startup or first year manufacturer so that put Rivian off the table for an SUV and AWD was a non-negotiable. My wife ended up with a Mach E (she also couldn't stand the M3 we drove or the model Y) and I ended up with an EV6. Since I have driven a Bolt for years having precise control of regenerative braking and not being conscripted into one pedal driving when I don't want to be is important for me as is the ease to go back into 1PD at the flick of a paddle
She just cares about the Vroom and the aesthetics which the Mach E just ticks perfectly in my mind. When it comes to technology and features, the Mach E is not so much for me. I want easy access to regenerative braking adjustments and a full Regen paddle was a huge draw as was ease of adjustments between drive modes. The sun roof actually opening on the EV6 was a huge want as well. I also really liked that the EV6 actually has an ECO mode that does something so I can hypermile when I want. Hypermiling the GT PE is a wasted exercise. I do feel that the safety features on the EV6 are also a big step up.

I'm VERY happy with both my Mach E and the EV6. You can easily find the latter with an ADM but on lots and also coming in weekly here and since features vary little with Kia's line, it's basically color as the main difference minus a trim package heads up display and a sunroof.

A lot depends on what your wants are. I didn't need another GT PE supercar and didn't need a truck since I have a custom Gladiator but wanted AWD and great pick up and go so for my daily driver the EV6 was fine. At first it's aesthetics didn't hook me but I love its looks now.

Or if you want cheap but hatchback and kinda peppy get a Bolt EV. With the price cuts they are going to be a steal. I just traded two in (one an EV one an EUV) and would have kept them if I wasn't willing to spend or wait. As imperfect as they both are, it was important for both of us to have large established manufacturers behind the cars.

Are we (my wife and I) concerned about the recall? A little but I do believe it will get handled I just hope that it won't mean another limit imposed on the performance.

There are a lot of options compared to a few years ago so it will really depend on your wants, needs and timeline.
Sponsored

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'll throw it out there, all 6 vehicles I've owned have had a recall at some point, it happens. The airbag one was probably the worst, "here's this thing that might throw shrapnel at you and we can't replace it for a year".
Yep, had both that and something on the engine valve system on our Honda Fit. In and out in a single day, both times.

Ignoring the standard maintenance (oil, rotations, etc), I'm pretty sure the Fit has been at the dealer less than a week for other issues (recall, warranty) in 12 years 11 months so far...