Need your feedback, Mach E panel gap or not?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
How many people would be looking for panel gaps had Tesla not had a well advertised panel gap issues? In previous car purchases did you look for panel gaps? Then you have to ask if it is bad or not.
so I did look at the gaps on my Mach-E during my pre-delivery inspection (all fine btw, didn't say that in my write-up) but it's reasonable to point out it's the first car I've ever done that on.

last fall (*), I took a look at my Fusion's gaps, and they aren't 100% perfect, but they are good enough that I had never noticed anything before someone made me really think about it, and even now it's not enough for me to really "notice." I suspect with some very minor hood realignment (the hood is where I see any issue), it would be 100%.

I've never looked at any other car I've owned before this. never even gave it any thought.

is this because of the Tesla publicity? yeah, probably.

(*) Northern Hemisphere
Sponsored

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
This is a good example of why a company doesn't want to get a reputation.

Most cars have significant uneven panel gaps or misaligned features that go unnoticed. Once you start looking, they leap out and can't be forgotten.

Tesla has improved their gaps to at least industry average, but now everyone looks for gap variations. Tesla will have to be exceptional for a few years before they shake their reputation.

Edit: clarified subject

Last edited:

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The left-to-right fit of the liftgate, the pic makes it look like the left side is lower than the right. I would probably not accept with that.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
How many people would be looking for panel gaps had Tesla not had a well advertised panel gap issues? In previous car purchases did you look for panel gaps? Then you have to ask if it is bad or not.
We all have Tesla to thank for opening our eyes to that potential problem. Fortunately, Ford has not lived up to Tesla's capacity to misalign panels.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Absolutely. I have had dealers replace poorly fitting interior trim, I've had dealers do paint repair, I've made a dealer dig through the trash in the prep area once to find me the window sticker their prep guy threw away. Every car gets inspected front to back or money is not exchanged. All pre-Tesla "panel gap" fame.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Need your feedback, Mach E panel gap or not? PXL_20210325_162653242

This gap between the roof and the windshield is normal. They all have that. Yours looks the same as mine.

Edit: I will say that yours might be a few millimeters "pushed back" compared to mine. Ask the dealer to have it adjusted forward if it bothers you or if you have the wind noise issue.

OP
OP
Electric Fusion

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Very good point, Tesla was the very first vehicle we own with bad panel gaps issues, not even my previous old 98 mustang cobra or 2000 Roush Mustang has bad panel gaps .. and no gap issues with the previous BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus we have own, including with our new Audi eTron .. gaps are all perfect..

so for us Tesla was the very first $60k-120k+ Car we own with “bad” gap issues.. If Tesla’s cost only $30k or less no one would even talk about it as that is to be expected on non premium cars, the real issue is the cost of the car vs the quality you received...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Electric Fusion

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We all have Tesla to thank for opening our eyes to that potential problem. Fortunately, Ford has not lived up to Tesla's capacity to misalign panels.
that’s correct the gaps are equal to each said on the Mach E, when I talk about gaps I am talking about a new car with left to right miss alignment with uneven gaps on both sides..

someone stated they check their older car and you should never check a old car looking for gaps .. only brand new cars you should always check for gaps and I have done so on every car i own over the last 25 years ..for me Tesla has been the very first with bad gaps at a high price point..

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Very good point, Tesla was the very first vehicle we own with bad panel gaps issues, not even my previous old 98 mustang cobra or 2000 Roush Mustang has bad panel gaps .. and no gap issues with the previous BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus we have own, including with our new Audi eTron .. gaps are all perfect..

so for us Tesla was the very first $60k-120k+ Car we own with “bad” gap issues.. If Tesla’s cost only $30k or less no one would even talk about it as that is to be expected on non premium cars, the real issue is the cost of the car vs the quality you received...
He's saying we wouldn't have even been paying attention to this at all were it not for Tesla. It's quite possible our previous cars over the years had numerous panel gap issues that we casually ignored because we weren't really hyper aware of them.

MooseLips3700

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Idiot Savant
Country flag
And yes The car has not completed pre inspection for sale just yet, they need to also do the recall and then they will clean it .. all of that will be done today and tomorrow I can take delivery or wait for the GT ..
Your gaps look about same as what I have on my GB FE
Sponsored