Wait for Mach-E or not?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I've only been in one significant accident and as a kid. Big 1972 Plymouth Fury station wagon. I got a cut across my forehead, but otherwise I was fine. Big weight and big metal certainly saves lives, especially if you are in an accident with the modern lighter weight cars. Engineering certainly helps, but higher momentum is nice to have on your side in an accident.

I had to look up "semaphore". Great word, thanks!
I'm just going to leave this here
Sponsored

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
I'm just going to leave this here
Thanks @zhackwyatt. To be clear, I never said engineering has no place or has provided no benefit. In fact it was entirely necessary based on the higher fuel requirements and lighter cars.

What I did say is that there is a benefit to "momentum" in a crash. Any given car and any given crash circumstance will obviously have varying results, but generally, you will be better off if you are in the vehicle with a significant momentum advantage.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/vehicle-size-and-weight

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So with all that is going on these days, I have been really trying think whether it makes sense to continue with my Mach-E reservation or not.

As a little background, I have reserved one probably 5 minutes after they opened the reservation website so I'm very bullish on the car. I was hoping to get one of the first production cars at the end of this year but now I'm not sure it will happen.

Basically, because of Covid-19 I'm having second thoughts about the car ROI. Some of the things I'm considering:
1) Production delays - They say it probably not going to be delayed by more than 6 weeks, but I call it bull. There is no way that they can produce a well QC'd product when people are working from home for the near future.
2) Gas price crashing - I mean I don't drive that much anyway so I wasn't buying the EV for Gas savings, but with the ultra low gas prices these days, it makes it very hard for me to pay such a premium for an EV now.
3) Current car market - The dealers are STUCK with tons of brand new 2020 cars that will likely to get a ton of discounts, incentives and what not until the EOY just to get rid of those cars, which makes buying a $53K EV ( Even with the rebate) make much less sense that buying a new Mercedes/BMW/Porsche SUV with all the bells and whistles for a discounted price and with knowing that the car will be of the highest standards once you buy it, vs pretty much unknown on the Mach-E.

Basically I'm still on the fence on this, what do you guys think? Anyone is struggling with justifying the Mach-E nowdays as well?
I understand your logic and it makes sense. For me, I have no thoughts of canceling my reservation in exchange for anything else unless it is a BEV. I drive a Focus Electric now and wont ever buy an ICE vehicle again.

I do have a reservation for a Rivian...so whichever is available to me first is what I will get. Looks like the MME will get there first.
Sponsored