Chiefsfan

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS350
Country flag
I wonder what the cut off date is for ordering 2021 vs 2022? I would prefer a September 2022 vs an August 2021 (or whatever the dates are)
Sponsored

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
I could see small changes - ventilated seats, the (rumored to cost) $1400 software upgrade being included, slightly better batteries... nothing that would make me wait, but I think "exactly the same except color choices" might be wrong.
I haven't come across talk of this $1400 software upgrade. What is this exactly? I just thought OTA updates would be free.

cassmoney0523

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo S90, 2018 MB GLC300
Occupation
physician
Country flag
2022 Mach E - newer/more synthesized engine noises and WIDER tires

anyone else afraid of tire life? my current vehicle (AWD) weighs 800lb less than the mach E I have on order, tires are 255s, needed replaced at approx 20k miles and I drive semi aggressively

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag

anyone else afraid of tire life? my current vehicle (AWD) weighs 800lb less than the mach E I have on order, tires are 255s, needed replaced at approx 20k miles and I drive semi aggressively
It depends on your tire wear rating and the profile more than the width, If you tire has a 35-45 profile but a wear rating of 400 they will last long but tend to be super noisy cause they are super hard. If they have a rating of 180 you might have to change tires every 6 months cause they are soft.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I haven't come across talk of this $1400 software upgrade. What is this exactly? I just thought OTA updates would be free.
The hands-free driving OTA update was originally reported in the press as a $1400 or so upgrade. That post was from back "then." Fortunately (well fortunately for those with divided highways that have controlled access) the price is significantly lower than that.

:)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Add MagSafe to the Qi charging pad.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag

Not me. I bought a new set of tires once and my goal was to make it through the weekend, and I did.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I’m on the fence about when I want to place my order. I kind of want to have my cake and eat it, too: get in line for a 2021 both to get a car sooner and potentially lock in better pricing, but be able to cancel or roll over to 2022 if that model looks more appealing.

I suspect Ford and particularly a Ford dealership won’t be so keen on that approach, understandably.

I think I’ll watch February to see what’s happening with the order-to-build timeline and make a decision from there. My aim would be to hit a fall build date so I’ve got time to get a peek at the 2022. Thoughts?

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I assume the first update will include Fog Lights...some sort of additional lights on the front..

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
you're quoting a (relatively) very old post - it was referring to the improved self-driving upgrade that we now know will be a $600 upgrade. (When I posted that, there was a story on some site somewhere claiming it would be $1400.)

We don't really know yet how that relates to the included, no-cost OTA updates.

Reactions: UW2

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Not sure that matters as much for a specialty item like a Mach E GT, especially if they change little to nothing in 2022. How much do you need to update in a 2022 if all the 2021s sell on special-order.
I'm coming at it from the perspective that a October '21 build will be considered a year older than a January '22 car. That has an impact on resale value and my personal enjoyment of having a current year new car. I realize it's a small thing and lots of people don't care, but for $60k, I can be a bit picky. ;)

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I'm coming at it from the perspective that a October '21 build will be considered a year older than a January '22 car. That has an impact on resale value and my personal enjoyment of having a current year new car. I realize it's a small thing and lots of people don't care, but for $60k, I can be a bit picky. ;)
Uh yeah, agreed. Especially if 22s start rolling out in October or November 21. That’s my dilemma, but also my luxury having not placed an order yet.

RonG

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade, 2018 MB GLC AMG 43. Previously owned Mustangs: 1965 hardtop, 1967 Fastback, 1966 Fastback
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was able to sit in one of the first MME to arrive in Southern BC on Tuesday. Altho the dealer already had it sold, he phoned me so that I could come and have a look at it. It is very nice but the one thing I don't like is the black wheel lip moldings. The vehicle was white so the black moldings really make it look like there is a cavernous wheel opening. If it was my vehicle, I think the first thing I would do is have the moldings painted white to match the rest of the vehicle. The way the FE and GT will be.
So, if there is a change for 2022, I hope one of the changes will be to have the wheel lip moldings painted the same colour as the rest of the vehicle, at least on the premium trim. If there was another colour option I would like to see Dark Highland Green offered, altho I imagine they will reserve that for special editions.
As far as purchasing one; I am waiting to test drive before I make a decision. I am also concerned about 1st year issues, so if I like it after the test drive, I am considering waiting for a 2022. Hopefully orders could be started by mid summer, for fall delivery.