Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
Same experience here as Tom L but with lighter winter conditions in MI just north of Toledo. My CA R1 RWD is a little squirrelly with the stock tires in snow, much better with Michelin X-ice snow tires which as a bonus have a slightly fatter footprint than the OEM pizza cutters. I like the Michelins because they add a lot of traction and not a lot of tread noise or harshness. When I switch back to the standard tires in the spring I do notice a reduction in noise and a slight range improvement, but the noise and decreased range are more than made up for in peace of mind in the snow on the back roads to and from work. I've driven AWD vehicles in the winter before and they're awesome, but for me the RWD is perfectly adequate with the right tires installed.

Additionally, with the occasional winter business trips to Flint and back in a day I need the big battery and RWD combination to avoid having to pull off the road for a public charge.
What are the specs on your Michelin X-Ice tires? I have been looking for similar ones and am only seeing 100H rated 225/R18/60, which is too low for my CA RT1 which I believe needs 104H+ rated tires?
Sponsored

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
What are the specs on your Michelin X-Ice tires? I have been looking for similar ones and am only seeing 100H rated 225/R18/60, which is too low for my CA RT1 which I believe needs 104H+ rated tires?
Sorry it has taken so abysmally long for me to respond, Bayviews88.

Getting ready to install those wheels and tires today. The Ice-Xs would be a safe choice, as I see they're load-rated 107.

Only place on the car or in the manual that I can find the recommended load index. is on the door pillar, which indeed specifies 104.

I went with 235/60 R18s which have an XL rating, at the suggestion of the guy at Discount Tire I was working with. This morning I was kind of dreading looking at those sidewalls but sure enough they're rated with a load index of 107. Thanks for the heads-up and the added peace of mind.

This link if it works shows the load index and other specs: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-x-ice-snow-suv/p/89221

Last edited:

music_cities

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2022 GT
Country flag
Hi,
I am from New Brunswick, Canada. I planning to place an order for 2023 Mach E Premium RWD Extended range but considering Atlantic winters, I am not sure how RWD EV will perform in winters ? Other option is Mach e CR1 but it doesnt offers some rich features like Premium. Will appreciate any guidance on Mach e RWD performance in snow ?

Thanks
I'm not sure how NB winters compare to AB winters, but I'm a skier in AB so I was never going to buy a RWD model.
Sponsored