RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I remember seeing a few posts in the past few months asking/speculating about the maximum power that the USB-C ports can deliver. I just connected my MacBook Pro to the two USB-C ports in the cabin (under the 15" display, and below rear seat AC vents).

My mac reported 15W. This tells me that the USB-C port on Mach E doesn't support USB PD (power delivery), and can go up to 5V * 3A.

Through a USB to USB-C cable, my mac reported 8W from the USB port (i.e. the USB-A port).

It appears that both ports can supply the power independently. (I plugged a phone to the USB port, and the reading from my mac plugged into the USB-C port still says 15W.)

Most modern phones and iPad can do 18W. 15W is good enough. This is OK-ish for iPad Pro and similar devices, and a bit lacking for laptops.

Overall, I'd say Mach E met my expectation here. It would be a pleasant surprise if it can do 60W or 100W, but I wasn't really expecting it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E USB-C port power output = 15W Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.07.27 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I remember seeing a few posts in the past few months asking/speculating about the maximum power that the USB-C ports can deliver. I just connected my MacBook Pro to the two USB-C ports in the cabin (under the 15" display, and below rear seat AC vents).

My mac reported 15W. This tells me that the USB-C port on Mach E doesn't support USB PD (power delivery), and can go up to 5V * 3A.

Most modern phones and iPad can do 18W. 15W is good enough. This is OK-ish for iPad Pro and similar devices, and a bit lacking for laptops.

Overall, I'd say Mach E met my expectation here. It would be a pleasant surprise if it can do 60W or 100W, but I wasn't really expecting it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E USB-C port power output = 15W Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.07.27 PM
I wonder if the USB-C and USB-A ports are shared, which means it's up to 3A on one, but 1.5A (1A/2A) if both are being used... I guess you could test that out pretty easily by plugging in a phone into the other port.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I wonder if the USB-C and USB-A ports are shared, which means it's up to 3A on one, but 1.5A (1A/2A) if both are being used... I guess you could test that out pretty easily by plugging in a phone into the other port.
oh that's a very interesting question

OP
OP
RyZt

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
How do I get watt reading from a phone? I have Pixel 3 running Android 11 and iPhone/iPad, so let me know if you know either one.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It looks like the two ports provide power independently.

I also checked the USB port through an A-to-C cable, and got 8W.

I updated my original post.
again thank you!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I thought I read on an Apple website that with the iPhone 12 Pro/12 Pro Max, Apple made a change that required the use of the newest power brick that is able to deliver a new, higher level that the phone can accommodate to charge faster? I don’t remember the specifics.

OP
OP
RyZt

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I thought I read on an Apple website that with the iPhone 12 Pro/12 Pro Max, Apple made a change that required the use of the newest power brick that is able to deliver a new, higher level that the phone can accommodate to charge faster? I don’t remember the specifics.
That's the new wireless MagSafe charger. Apple did something proprietary there. Mach E clearly doesn't support that. For wired, apple products work with standard USB-C PD power adapters. (iPad Pro and Mac Book come with a standard USB-C charger.)

I'd be very surprised if iPhone cannot do 5V 3A on Mach E through a C-to-lightning cable.

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
Thanks for testing this. I write firmware for USB PD controllers for my day job and was hoping the Mach E supported PD. Oh well. Type C is still way better than Type A if for no reason other than you can’t plug it in the wrong way.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ok, I found the article that explains the iPhone 12 charging situation. Apparently Apple uses new charging profiles that aren’t widespread yet and you only get the fastest wireless charging speeds with MagSafe and some chargers. Similarly, you only get the fastest lightning charging speeds with at least 20W USB chargers:
https://www.macrumors.com/guide/magsafe/

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
For phones, 15 W should be plenty. But it would have been nice if it supported USB PD to charge laptops with at least 45 W... Or even a USB PD adapter to trickle charge the 12 V battery, lol
Sponsored