Man V. Machine learning

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Pretty hilarious journey home yesterday after an EA charge up.

The S.O. and I cruised upriver yesterday to see the kids and their kids. I knew I’d get an EA charge at the EA-Walmart chargers and had mentally calculated the MME would need 65% charge to get home with 10% remaining. I ran a bit heavy on the throttle (cruising 70-75) and it was a nice day though cool and auto heat idled along at 4% draw. When we turned off the freeway for the remaining somewhat hilly 70 miles I punched FordPass navigation to see if I’d hit my home calculation (arriving with 10%). WIBF… Nav indicated I’d needed to charge and the mileage distance was off by 10 miles. Stupid me. Drove along before the S.O. figured out it automatically took us 5 miles beyond our next turnoff to another EA charger. And that distance estimate added 10+ miles. Once I eliminated that estimates made sense. I’d forgotten that Nav automatically plugs in EA sites :(

Upshot-rolled into the garage with a 9% charge ~18 miles remaining. And tracking battery % remaining with Mi/KWh use is pretty accurate. So my mental calcs and the MME machine learning squared up.

EA site comment. Ford’s EV brand is tied to the albatross of EA dependability. The first DCFC I hooked up to recognized the car and my account but would not charge. One other EA charger was inoperative. The one with a Bolt charging was fine so I asked him if he was leaving soon after loading groceries and he said yes, so we switched over and no problems. A BMW i3 rolled in and he took that charger after we left. He commented he loved the i3 but it was severely distance limited. He asked how we liked the MME (love it) and I said winter range was a low of about 140-150 and summer was a high of 210-230. With the exception of the Safeway in Leavenworth and the EA in Covington.. two of the four EA sites I’ve used in the last 3 months have had at least 2 chargers inoperative with no indication that something was amiss. And repositioning, backing into stalls in busy parking lots is b.s. Ford seriously needs to up its game w/EA agreement and I sure wasn’t going to waste my time calling EA on a help line.

I attached my table I use occasionally for estimating remaining charge distances. Based on a comment, I’ll include 2.0-3.0 Mi/KWh in 1/10 increments.

B7439A43-BA43-4A08-949C-F3BEC3A03130.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
With the exception of the Safeway in Leavenworth and the EA in Covington.. two of the four EA sites I’ve used in the last 3 months have had at least 2 chargers inoperative with no indication that something was amiss. And repositioning, backing into stalls in busy parking lots is b.s. Ford seriously needs to up its game w/EA agreement and I sure wasn’t going to waste my time calling EA on a help line.
Yeah, EA isn't very good. Calling takes a min of 10 - 15 minutes, sometimes more. Reporting on app and requesting they contact you results in them not contacting you. I slam them on PlugShare.

Nice chart - but it needs to go down lower, close to 2.

OP
OP
JSeis

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Yeah, EA isn't very good. Calling takes a min of 10 - 15 minutes, sometimes more. Reporting on app and requesting they contact you results in them not contacting you. I slam them on PlugShare.

Nice chart - but it needs to go down lower, close to 2.
Haha. Yes on 2%. Funny, I’d roll my Ford Flex to the last lower bar on the letter “E”. And I’d still have 1.3 gals left. 30 miles with careful driving. I vaguely recall that was 5-7% of “range” left.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Pretty hilarious journey home yesterday after an EA charge up.

The S.O. and I cruised upriver yesterday to see the kids and their kids. I knew I’d get an EA charge at the EA-Walmart chargers and had mentally calculated the MME would need 65% charge to get home with 10% remaining. I ran a bit heavy on the throttle (cruising 70-75) and it was a nice day though cool and auto heat idled along at 4% draw. When we turned off the freeway for the remaining somewhat hilly 70 miles I punched FordPass navigation to see if I’d hit my home calculation (arriving with 10%). WIBF… Nav indicated I’d needed to charge and the mileage distance was off by 10 miles. Stupid me. Drove along before the S.O. figured out it automatically took us 5 miles beyond our next turnoff to another EA charger. And that distance estimate added 10+ miles. Once I eliminated that estimates made sense. I’d forgotten that Nav automatically plugs in EA sites :(

Upshot-rolled into the garage with a 9% charge ~18 miles remaining. And tracking battery % remaining with Mi/KWh use is pretty accurate. So my mental calcs and the MME machine learning squared up.

EA site comment. Ford’s EV brand is tied to the albatross of EA dependability. The first DCFC I hooked up to recognized the car and my account but would not charge. One other EA charger was inoperative. The one with a Bolt charging was fine so I asked him if he was leaving soon after loading groceries and he said yes, so we switched over and no problems. A BMW i3 rolled in and he took that charger after we left. He commented he loved the i3 but it was severely distance limited. He asked how we liked the MME (love it) and I said winter range was a low of about 140-150 and summer was a high of 210-230. With the exception of the Safeway in Leavenworth and the EA in Covington.. two of the four EA sites I’ve used in the last 3 months have had at least 2 chargers inoperative with no indication that something was amiss. And repositioning, backing into stalls in busy parking lots is b.s. Ford seriously needs to up its game w/EA agreement and I sure wasn’t going to waste my time calling EA on a help line.

I attached my table I use occasionally for estimating remaining charge distances.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Man V.  Machine learning B7439A43-BA43-4A08-949C-F3BEC3A03130
Are these numbers for the standard range battery?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I meant 2 miles per kWh.

OP
OP
JSeis

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Are these numbers for the standard range battery?

Yes! I’ll post the Excel file but it is pretty easy to replicate.
Sponsored