TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I saw these posts...

What is the recommended charging percent to extend battery life?

I've seen posts that say 80%, and also 90%. And in this post it says 100% is fine because the Mach-E has a built in buffer.

Can anyone confirm that charging to 100% everyday will extend battery life in the Mach-E the same as if I only charged to 80-90%? If not, what is the best % to use to extend the battery life?

Thanks for the help from those who reply.
Ford recommends charging to 90% most of the time, and charging to 100% only as needed. Even though there's a built-in buffer, the larger the buffer, the better for long-term battery life. But it's likely to only make a modest difference in the long run.

It's not an exact science. It's all a sliding scale. If you want to really baby the battery and treat it as nice as you can, stop somewhere around 80% most of the time. I'm fine with Ford's recommendation to charge to 90% most of the time, so I do that. But don't worry about charging to 100% as needed either. Doing that infrequently will barely make a dent in battery longevity.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I saw these posts...

What is the recommended charging percent to extend battery life?

I've seen posts that say 80%, and also 90%. And in this post it says 100% is fine because the Mach-E has a built in buffer.

Can anyone confirm that charging to 100% everyday will extend battery life in the Mach-E the same as if I only charged to 80-90%? If not, what is the best % to use to extend the battery life?

Thanks for the help from those who reply.
Did you try looking in the manual?

80% for DCFC, 90% for L1/L2. You can, of course, go higher if you need to, such as fully charging at home before leaving on a long trip.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Max charging Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 5.14.57 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Max charging Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 5.15.32 PM

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
80% for DCFC, 90% for L1/L2.
And since the MME automatically drops DCFC to L2 power level at 80% anyway, there's really no added risk to the battery. The issue with that simply being sitting at a DCFC charger so long rather than it's impact on the battery.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And since the MME automatically drops DCFC to L2 power level at 80% anyway, there's really no added risk to the battery. The issue with that simply being sitting at a DCFC charger so long rather than it's impact on the battery.
Perhaps. We’re now getting into great areas. Even when L2 charging its best To not charge when the battery is warm. 80-100% at 15kW charging rate is still faster than L2 and would be happening on top of a battery heated up by charging. It’s better to not continue charging beyond 80% of DCFC but you can if needed.
Sponsored