Minor damage to underside - any risks to battery etc?

carinquiryad

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi - so we had the sto n show front license plate bracket. The person driving the car did not realize, and lightly hit the sidewalk, causing the sto-n-show to break and cause the front underside panels to be damaged.

The gap between the panel is small and it is unlikely that a rock will get through. However, we live in NH and the winter salt on the roads might get in and I am not sure what all is located in the front center of the car to know if this small gap/damage may lead to more issues in the future.

Is there any advice on whether this should be repaired?

Image AD-2(6).jpg

Image AD-2(5).jpg

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I would just snip out a piece of the plastic retainer so that it sits flush again (red lines) and then get a panhead screw and run it into the tray through the remaining plastic (green circle). It would be just like it was clipped again. You might want to drill an oversized hole for the screw in the retainer to allow for slight movement. The battery isn't anywhere near the front so you won't have battery damage or issues, but crap would probably get up in there if you don't secure it back down.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Minor damage to underside - any risks to battery etc? Image AD-2(6)

Last edited:
OP
OP

carinquiryad

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I would just snip out a piece of the plastic retainer so that it sits flush again (red lines) and then get a panhead screw and run it into the tray through the remaining plastic (green circle). It would be just like it was clipped again. You might want to drill an oversized hole for the screw in the retainer to allow for slight movement. The battery isn't anywhere near the front so you won't have battery damage or issues, but crap would probably get up in there if you don't secure it back down.

Image AD-2(6).png
Thank you for your detailed note and illustration. I think I understand your solution theoretically, but we have no tools at home. I can obviously go to a car shop, but the Ford dealer I went told me that they would not be able to fix this and that this would be a body shop.

The body shop wanted to replace both panels (front panel and center panel), which seems wasteful but whatever.

One related question: does the front panel come painted in black or does the body shop paint it afterwards. The body shop wanted $700 just to paint the front panel, in addition to the parts and labor for the actual repair.

I think I will try to find an independent shop that can do pretty much what you suggested.

Last edited:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Thank you for your detailed note and illustration. I think I understand your solution theoretically, but we have no tools at home. I can obviously go to a car shop, but the Ford dealer I went told me that they would not be able to fix this and that this would be a body shop.

The body shop wanted to replace both panels (front panel and center panel), which seems wasteful but whatever.

One related question: does the front panel come painted in black or does the body shop paint it afterwards. The body shop wanted $700 to paint the front panel, which seemed like a lot.

I think I will try to find an independent shop that can do pretty much what you suggested.
Well yes, any body shop will likely say it all needs to be replaced. That's how they make a living. Yes, they would have to paint the piece as well.

The tools required are very basic. Some snips and a screw driver, optionally a drill for the hole. Maybe a friend or family member could help?

OP
OP

carinquiryad

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Well yes, any body shop will likely say it all needs to be replaced. That's how they make a living. Yes, they would have to paint the piece as well.

The tools required are very basic. Some snips and a screw driver, optionally a drill for the hole. Maybe a friend or family member could help?
Thank you for your kind response. I think what you are saying makes the most sense, I can probably borrow the tools and do this myself. Thank you.
Sponsored