21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I don't think you're understanding. CCS is specifically for DC. J1772 is the AC portion of that. So your go box is for J1772, not CCS. For example, your adapters would all work just fine on a RAV4 Prime. It has a J1772 port, but doesn't have CCS because it doesn't have the DC pins.
Thank you for your opinion. Thank you for your repeated references to DC power pins. This has nothing to do with the subject of my post.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thank you for your opinion. Thank you for your repeated references to DC power pins. This has nothing to do with the subject of my post.
It didn't until you brought up CCS. I'm just trying to tell you that your terminology is wrong. CCS is DC. J1772 is AC. That's all I'm saying.

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We just drove a 4,708 mile trip, stopping at 8 National Parks. We stayed in hotels.

Most National Parks don't have EV charging (we did not go into campground areas if they had camping). Grand Canyon south rim just added EA. We did charge each day at a level 2 charger at Grand Canyon for free, recovered what we spent getting there. Petrified National Forest had paid level 2 charging at ridiculous rate and unneeded given Winslow, AZ EA. https://www.nps.gov/subjects/sustai...map.htm#/find/nearest?nps_funded=true&ids=all
To add to RichMachE's comments above, the national park situation is varied, and evolving.

For example, at the Mount Rushmore National Monument parking structure we found several level 2 charging stations (all occupied - late June, ya know?) and next to them several Tesla Destination Level 2 charging stations... about half unoccupied. Out came the TeslaTap Mini and we charged away during our stay.

In the yuuuuge Yellowstone National Park where we stayed several days, the Mammoth Springs Lodge village has two ChargePoint Level 2 charging stations, which we of course happily used. The Old Faithful Lodge actually has a pretty hidden double station charging point, in the back in between the guest individual cabins and pretty much unmarked :) and therefore uncrowded despite the continual Old Faithful crowds.

The Mammoth Cave National Park has "EV parking" very close to the Visitor Center entrance and plans to put EV level 2 points there, eventually... it's all dependent on National Park infrastructure budget appropriations from year to year.

State parks and national forests are, in our experience, focused on RV-type overnight parking. However, this does not negate daytime Level 2 (NEMA 14 - 50) charging while you explore the scenery, and then moving on to a hotel before evening, with good juice in the battery... this is all dependent on handshakes between the user and the staff.

Enjoy your travels!

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It didn't until you brought up CCS. I'm just trying to tell you that your terminology is wrong. CCS is DC. J1772 is AC. That's all I'm saying.
Thank you for your attention to others' errors, as your time and opinions allow.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for your attention to others' errors, as your time and opinions allow.
Sorry, I know it's pedantic, but words have meanings. People use CCS and J1772 interchangeably, when they're not the same thing. Even more people use kW and kWh interchangeably. Since a lot of people use this forum for learning, I think it's important to use the right terminology. No disrespect intended.

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, I know it's pedantic, but words have meanings. People use CCS and J1772 interchangeably, when they're not the same thing. Even more people use kW and kWh interchangeably. Since a lot of people use this forum for learning, I think it's important to use the right terminology. No disrespect intended.
Just re-read the title of this post please.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just re-read the title of this post please.
Right. You said non-DCFC and then proceeded to mention CCS, which is for DCFC. Just trying to be clear about the terminology so others don't get confused. Sorry I seem to have offended you as that was not my intent.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
This is really helpful! I've had my MME less than a year. We have only taken rides for just over an hour so far. But when we do take a longer trip, we plan on staying in a hotel during those trips.

Did you need to get permission from management before plugging in? Can you stop at the RV camps and Nat'l Parks for a day and charge? What size portable generator or battery is recommended?

I know next to nothing about amps and watts and volts! Somebody told me a basic formula to guestimate amps and watts to voltage but it was months back. So I don't even think my formula is correct.
Cheryl, a lot of people don't know these. Plenty of web sites provide explanations and straightforward formulas. Here is one: https://battlebornbatteries.com/amps-volts-watts/
Hope this helps.

As an example chargers are described based on amps and volts because these terms describe the electrical input flow, but the MME trip information will display miles per kW because this describes electrical power use by the motors. Hint: Maintain your sanity by not trying to convert the battery % remaining to the kW needed to recharge. Just go with the (electrical) flow.
Sponsored