Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Plus the time you're not spending at a gas station, pumping diesel.
Yeah. I had to quit smoking because I used to buy cigarettes when I stopped to fuel up.

*(joking....I never was a smoker.) :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
For city driving, definitely, the savings are significant. But I usually put more mileage in one long trip than in a month of city driving. And for interstate EVs aren't efficient at all.

Here is CA the gas prices and EA chargers are approximately 1 gal = 10 kWh, and if you subtract the losses it's closer to 1 gal = 9kWh of usable battery capacity. I expect the rising natural gas prices will lead to increasing electric rates as well as it's the major source.

So assuming the same ratio will stand in the future, and an average 2.7 miles per kWh on interstate (very generous assumption) you end up with a 24mpg equivalent. Most gas cars of the same size have a lot better efficiency on highways.
Agree. EV as a daily driver is excellent choice. For road trips, not so much.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Agree. EV as a daily driver is excellent choice. For road trips, not so much.
More than agree, I'm betting on it. :) It is still early in the intro of BEV's, but word will soon get out about a major feature that BEV's have.

If you buy the right one, it will save you a ton of money on fuel costs.

For instance: How many millions of people have commutes as detailed below?

If you drive long distances to your job each day, you are not alone. According to ABC News, the average American drives 16 miles to work each way, with a daily commute totaling nearly an hour round trip.
Now a basic MME is rated at 34 kWh/100 miles , so the average commuter above would spend, at .12/kWh (+/- who knows?), $12 for electricity for 3 days (100 miles) +/-.

Yesterday I bought gas at Costco for $3.50/gal. My wife's Edge gets 22 mpg around town, so that would be $15.90 for 100 miles.

Figure at 250 working days a year, 83 3-day periods, X $4= $732 savings per year.

And those are all conservative numbers and do not include your non-commute miles each week.

Many Forum members pay much less than $.12/ kWh, more then $3.50/ gallon, and commute over 32 miles per day.

We'll see what happens when the general commuting public starts asking, "What does MpgE actually mean?"

100 combined city/highway MPGe

City MPG:105 city Highway MPG:93
34 kWh/100 miles

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I am sure that every day I continue to drive an EV that I save money. Not a little bit....a lot.
I have so much more discretionary income now that I drive an EV compared to before with the truck. I attribute that to the cost savings by ditching ICE because Lord knows that it's not because I am earning so much more these days. :)
Glad its paying off for you. Ignore the negative types...

Yup! its the underappreciated advantage of EV's and even Solar that is much derided on these forums. I once calculated that over 20 years my family that mostly drives EV's has saved over $200,000 over 800,000 miles. The great thing is this wealth saving is available to all unlike say the Billionaire IRA accounts or the tax write off's only available to the wealthy.

I went from my Tundra, with Ahem! 9-12 MPG city to my 2010 Volt. Since then my Tundra usage dropped from ~ 30,000 mile/pa to ~ 5,000 miles. I paid for my Volt and most of my Audi with just that saving!

Its the same w/ Solar, it pays for itself, even here in the MW with relatively low $0.15 cent / kwh after taxes rates. Mine took about 3.5 years to Amortize and since then it is free electricity. ROI running close to 25%-30% pa for me. No other investment in your house, like a sprinkler system or new windows or even a new deck actually generates money for you. Simply don't understand why more fiscal conservative types don't deploy it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
LOL you are comparing an EV SUV to a full sized truck? C'mon man. I love my Super Duty with the six speed manual, but you can't make that comparison.
if one was his daily driver, which he said it was, and it's now replaced with another daily driver, it's 100% valid for him to compare his commuting costs.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Here is the question to ask all those who claim filling up at the gas station is so much quicker than EV charging station: Do you have a gas pump in your garage?
is that a euphemism or something?

oh you mean an actual gas pump... never mind.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
is that a euphemism or something?

oh you mean an actual gas pump... never mind.
yep you got it. I have a way to "fill er up" in my garage, with electrons. With an ICE, I don't. The next best question to ask those with range anxiety: How long does you car sit in your garage on an average day? See where I'm going on this?

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yikes...why in God's name would you punish us that like to own EVs and modified ICE Mustangs..........let alone other sports cars.
Not about punishing. It is about slowing the melt and slowing sea level rise. We have already lost the battle that is worsening drought/storms/floods. Now it is about slowing the acceleration of sea level rise. Any minutes spent driving ICE vehicles only increases the rate of ice melt globally. More ICE hours = less ice and more sea level rise sooner. Simple equation when you multiply one person by billions. The huge cost savings to operate solar powered EV is a bonus. Sock away the $$ saved to help your children and grandchildren fund the $trillions that governments will spend to build seawalls, raise highways, and ultimately move millions of people further inland. Or, maybe you really don't care about the consequences that your actions produce 20 to 80 years from now or what the next 2 to 4 generations will have to deal with? I believe most people on these forums do care, they just don't think much beyond the next few years...

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
if one was his daily driver, which he said it was, and it's now replaced with another daily driver, it's 100% valid for him to compare his commuting costs.
Fair enough. But he set the stage by saying how much his Super Duty cost to drive and maintain, then went and closed out with a very broad statement about comparing BEVs to ICEs. When you compare "comparable" body styles the gap narrows considerably.

Not about punishing. It is about slowing the melt and slowing sea level rise. We have already lost the battle that is worsening drought/storms/floods. Now it is about slowing the acceleration of sea level rise. Any minutes spent driving ICE vehicles only increases the rate of ice melt globally. More ICE hours = less ice and more sea level rise sooner. Simple equation when you multiply one person by billions. The huge cost savings to operate solar powered EV is a bonus. Sock away the $$ saved to help your children and grandchildren fund the $trillions that governments will spend to build seawalls, raise highways, and ultimately move millions of people further inland. Or, maybe you really don't care about the consequences that your actions produce 20 to 80 years from now or what the next 2 to 4 generations will have to deal with? I believe most people on these forums do care, they just don't think much beyond the next few years...
As long as you don't heat or cool your home and don't do any unnecessary driving or flying, I'll listen to you. If you do, you're just a hypocrite and really "don't care about the consequences that your actions produce." Those of us with 3 or 4 cars, or even my dad with nearly a dozen cars can only drive one at a time. Make better BEV's and the market will choose to drive them.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As long as you don't heat or cool your home and don't do any unnecessary driving or flying, I'll listen to you. If you do, you're just a hypocrite and really "don't care about the consequences that your actions produce." Those of us with 3 or 4 cars, or even my dad with nearly a dozen cars can only drive one at a time. Make better BEV's and the market will choose to drive them.
My Solar generates more electricity than we use, including charging the cars. On site batteries help with load shifting. Since I built my thick-walled and highly insulated house nearly 40 years ago, most heating and cooling is handled by opening windows at night (cooling tile floors and other thermal mass) and closing blinds during the day (lowering heat load) or opening blinds during the day in the "winter" months for solar heating. Water heating is mostly solar as well. That good enough for you? One bit of hypocrisy I do confess to - I don't grow my own food, and I eat meat a few times a month.

The actual point of my post was to reinforce the personal "cost savings" that EV owners realize daily with the certainty of additional high costs of mitigation over the coming decades. The more EV's used, the more solar/wind based electricity generated, and the less fossil fuels burned then the longer before those $trillions will be needed. If fossil fuel subsidies were eliminated and additional taxes added and banked for that inevitable future, the better off our following generations will be. And, the move to EV's would be quicker than now. I do not have much confidence that those actions will happen on the necessary global scale we all need. However, I do celebrate every time someone here declares their happiness at driving an EV. One more into the breach, my friends!!

greenaero

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME gray , Mazda Cx5, Honda CBR250R
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Country flag
LOL you are comparing an EV SUV to a full sized truck? C'mon man. I love my Super Duty with the six speed manual, but you can't make that comparison.
If you are comparing the costs for driving the same amount/conditions you sure can. interesting to see what the cost savings would be now. Viva El Mache E!

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
If you are comparing the costs for driving the same amount/conditions you sure can. interesting to see what the cost savings would be now. Viva El Mache E!
I ended up driving 32k miles in first year of ownership. My truck would have consumed 2,000 gallons of diesel to travel that same distance. Which I would have been driving if I didn't have the MME....

I think diesel is around $5 in my area now....??
Sponsored