YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER (Job 2)
Country flag
I think it's necessary for the networks to experiment with new styles. They said it's a prototype, good for them. It's better to try and know, then to not try and never know.

For 30 minutes, I don't want to sit in my car. I do want access to chairs and Internet and vending machines. I'd *really* like a coffee shop within a short walk or in the charging building.

On the other hand, a "truck stop" style space, with a large bank of chargers then a convenience store / fast food, seems attractive - but you can't build a truck stop in a major city, and major cities have a greater need of chargers (apartment dwellers / gig workers).

The other siting constraint will be enough power. I wonder if EA located where they could get 350kw * 20 = 7.0MW, found there weren't much choices, then found a building where they could tap in most easily - and it happened to already have a building on it, so why not.

I also wonder about charging speed - would an enclosed building, in some locations, lead to better charging times because it can be heated?

That particular neighborhood is an interesting choice because there's a lot of apartments who won't have L2 charging on site, and it's a nexus for gig work drivers. It's also an area with lots of light industrial buildings and no empty lots, getting a space with a building on it might have been the only option, so - hey! Let's try it.
I see what you’re saying. I was thinking more of the same concept as a regular gas station but with a lounge instead of the traditional convenience store. I do actually like the concept, I just don’t like the fact it’s created like an underground parking garage. Mercedes actually did it perfectly with their newest charging station in sandy springs.
Sponsored

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
I see what you’re saying. I was thinking more of the same concept as a regular gas station but with a lounge instead of the traditional convenience store. I do actually like the concept, I just don’t like the fact it’s created like an underground parking garage. Mercedes actually did it perfectly with their newest charging station in sandy springs.
I think the key elements are:
* Lots of *WORKING* chargers
* Posted "number of current available chargers" and "charging rate" before you commit to driving in
* some kind of traffic flow in case there's a wait for a free bay and ability to see non-working bays from a distance (before you pull in and find out it's offline :p )
* a weather protected comfortable lounge and food / coffee / vending machines
* physical security to cars (?) - at least, it would be nice in case I decide to go for a walk

Whether there are walls or not (gas station vs garage) seems the least important bit. We're used to gas station for fueling, but without nasty gas fumes or exhaust fumes, I'm not sure why I should care if there are walls or not. Walls protect against weather, walls create more security, but no-walls has a pleasant flow through vibe.

I imagine that, with a few prototypes made, we'll start settling on one design vs another

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
I agree. This is overly complicated - it could’ve and should’ve just been built like a normal gas station.
Armchair designers....

I think the people who chose that form knew what they were doing.

I doubt you're familiar with the area (SF SOMA specifically). The gas stations in that area are hellholes of loiterers and panhandlers where I don't want to even slow down, let alone open my doors. The only way to have an upscale "EV" experience that a person would hang out in for 30 minutes will be a building with walls and doors.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think the key elements are:
* Lots of *WORKING* chargers
I'll bet they stay on top of these chargers and make sure they remaining working.