News already bashing

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I have been looking at getting a BEV over the past two years but the only reasonable one out there was Tesla. My wife and I drive 25,000 each a year. Gas costs are an EXTREME issue with us. I figured out that two years ago a person had to have roughly $500 a month in gas bills to make a Tesla somewhat sense. However I had way too many issues with Tesla as a company as has been stated on at least a zillion threads in this forum alone.

In short i was waiting for someone to come out with a BEV that got at least 250 miles per charge and was reasonably priced. I do not consider the BEC that were made strictly to keep the EPA happy as a real BEV. The Bolt and focus electric fall into that category. I ordered an FE as soon as the intro video was over. I then decided to say screw it and ordered a premium for my wife so that we could dump the concept of gas all together.

Today our gas bill floats around $500 a month because of covid. Once Covid is over and life goes back to normal I will be back in the $800-900 gas range. I am tired of budgeting for gas on a monthly basis. I also think that covid made a LOT of people wake up and think about ways to save money. Life will NEVER be normal as pre covid. We are just going to have to find the new normal. Gas costs are the one thing that people can control. Repair costs are another thing that people can control. The overall maintenance cost of gas versus electric will ALWAYS be more. We all know that a BEV is good for at least 250,000 miles and likely more. NO one i know would trust taking an ICE vehicle with 150,000 miles on it on a 2000 mile trip. I should say I would not. With a BEV that is not an issue as there are so very few moving parts. Ford I was told is estimating 500,000 miles on a battery and Tesla says 1,000,000. Even if you had to replace the batteries the cost would be no where near the cost of a new car. As people look to save money BEV will become the norm. It only makes sense. As they will be the norm there will continue to grow more charging locations. Adaptation of the changes in traveling such as pit stops will become the new normal as well and we will all adjust to the point where it will not even be a topic of discussion.

Those buying an MME are I think people who want a better BEV but do not like Tesla for whatever reason adn currently the MME is the only true competitor. VW is going to make its name soon, but not today.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have been looking at getting a BEV over the past two years but the only reasonable one out there was Tesla. My wife and I drive 25,000 each a year. Gas costs are an EXTREME issue with us. I figured out that two years ago a person had to have roughly $500 a month in gas bills to make a Tesla somewhat sense. However I had way too many issues with Tesla as a company as has been stated on at least a zillion threads in this forum alone.

In short i was waiting for someone to come out with a BEV that got at least 250 miles per charge and was reasonably priced. I do not consider the BEC that were made strictly to keep the EPA happy as a real BEV. The Bolt and focus electric fall into that category. I ordered an FE as soon as the intro video was over. I then decided to say screw it and ordered a premium for my wife so that we could dump the concept of gas all together.

Today our gas bill floats around $500 a month because of covid. Once Covid is over and life goes back to normal I will be back in the $800-900 gas range. I am tired of budgeting for gas on a monthly basis. I also think that covid made a LOT of people wake up and think about ways to save money. Life will NEVER be normal as pre covid. We are just going to have to find the new normal. Gas costs are the one thing that people can control. Repair costs are another thing that people can control. The overall maintenance cost of gas versus electric will ALWAYS be more. We all know that a BEV is good for at least 250,000 miles and likely more. NO one i know would trust taking an ICE vehicle with 150,000 miles on it on a 2000 mile trip. I should say I would not. With a BEV that is not an issue as there are so very few moving parts. Ford I was told is estimating 500,000 miles on a battery and Tesla says 1,000,000. Even if you had to replace the batteries the cost would be no where near the cost of a new car. As people look to save money BEV will become the norm. It only makes sense. As they will be the norm there will continue to grow more charging locations. Adaptation of the changes in traveling such as pit stops will become the new normal as well and we will all adjust to the point where it will not even be a topic of discussion.

Those buying an MME are I think people who want a better BEV but do not like Tesla for whatever reason adn currently the MME is the only true competitor. VW is going to make its name soon, but not today.
My 2013 Focus Electric replaced an F-350 for my commute. Thus my fuel costs went from $1000/month to $50/month.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
To some, perception is reality and they see what they believe (vs. believing what they see). A while back, the SUV was the enemy, persons with those thoughts are now buying them. What, a Mustang! SUV!! Electric!!! No, Mustang's are gas guzzling cars, driven by wreckless thrill seekers who cut me off on the hwy. You'll never win the praise of some. To them, Mustang could never be the one that brings EV's to the mass market. Even when it does, there will be countless articles discrediting it.

So cheer up. Facts is facts. Be happy to be able to differentiate between what a genuine and legendary car brings to the market vs. the results of a biased and false report that attempts to feed an agenda.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not exactly fuel efficient, I'm guessing!
I fill up my 2002 Mustang GT Convertible about every 180 to 200 miles. Small tank and wonky non-linear fuel gauge. My MME will be recharged about every 220 to 250 miles (CA Rt 1). I am thinking of adding a supercharger to my '02 4.6L to see if it will keep up with the unmodified MME! Both will be red, of course.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Meet the Dodge Charger Hellcat. It is fitted with an 18.5-gallon fuel tank, giving it an estimated range of 324 miles.

And that is if you don't floor it.

https://carbuzz.com/cars/dodge/charger-srt-hellcat/2019#:~:text=The Charger Hellcat is fitted,estimated range of 324 miles.
And refuels to 100% in 6-8 minutes! I'm just saying range is a huge part of our psyche. I've got my MME coming in January, I'm sold, just trying to illuminate the reason range is such a big decision factor for electrics.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And refuels to 100% in 6-8 minutes! I'm just saying range is a huge part of our psyche. I've got my MME coming in January, I'm sold, just trying to illuminate the reason range is such a big decision factor for electrics.
Actually 18 gallons should refuel in about 2 minutes at most stations. Common gasoline flow rate in the US is 10 gallons/minute. Gotta add the time to get out of the car and deal with the pump to start and finish, of course. But that's there for a BEV too (maybe slightly less if the payment part is more automatic).

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Actually 18 gallons should refuel in about 2 minutes at most stations. Common gasoline flow rate in the US is 10 gallons/minute. Gotta add the time to get out of the car and deal with the pump to start and finish, of course. But that's there for a BEV too (maybe slightly less if the payment part is more automatic).
Maybe the range issue is only a big deal to those that keep
Looking backward rather than forward. When cigarette commercials were banned from TV the screams about how that was unconstitutional were rampant. Today...no one notices the lack of commercials. Same with the stupidity of comparing ICE to BEV and why not to buy one.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looking backward rather than forward. When cigarette commercials were banned from TV the screams about how that was unconstitutional were rampant. Today...no one notices the lack of commercials. Same with the stupidity of comparing ICE to BEV and why not to buy one.
I wouldn't call a loss of functionality "stupidity". It's very real and very substantial, whether choosing to recognize it or not.

BEVs have both pros and cons vs ICE and PHEV. Significant ones, that consumers care about. We should at least be honest and acknowledge that.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Yes smoking is now only bad if it's tobacco, marijuana smoke is no problem.
Looking forward is important, but I'm thinking some of those same foreword lookers were extremely excited in the 50s and 60's to Nuclear power plants, without examining potential problems. I'm just glad we're in a Free Country.

Last edited:

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
The range anxiety is a real issue because it is presently much easier to fuel a car than to charge one. There are thousands of gas stations all over the place in all corners of the country such that it would be very difficult to actually run of of gas and be unable to get more. Eben if you run out of gas completely you can call roadside assistance/AAA/police etc and be able to get some gas in a can to fill your car with a couple gallons. All of this is not possible with EVs. Add that to the fact that charging to full takes 30 mins to 1 hour, and it could significantly impact the length of long road trips. I love EVs for daily commuting/errands, but I would still use our large SUV for a road trip, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Also, for people who can't charge at home (and have to pay for it), the cost of operation benefit evaporates...that is another problem that has to be solved for EVs to reach mass adoption, especially in urban areas.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This guy's overview was very positive, and probably the best commentary I've seen of the MachE. Can't wait to see his driving experience coverage.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
The range anxiety is a real issue because it is presently much easier to fuel a car than to charge one. There are thousands of gas stations all over the place in all corners of the country such that it would be very difficult to actually run of of gas and be unable to get more. Eben if you run out of gas completely you can call roadside assistance/AAA/police etc and be able to get some gas in a can to fill your car with a couple gallons. All of this is not possible with EVs. Add that to the fact that charging to full takes 30 mins to 1 hour, and it could significantly impact the length of long road trips. I love EVs for daily commuting/errands, but I would still use our large SUV for a road trip, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Also, for people who can't charge at home (and have to pay for it), the cost of operation benefit evaporates...that is another problem that has to be solved for EVs to reach mass adoption, especially in urban areas.

It comes down to plan plan plan plan ahead!!!

Price of electricity is also a major factor. Here in Quebec we have the cheapest rates in north america... That's an advantage

Ford Mustang Mach-E News already bashing 1606847576651

Comparison made in jan 2019.. made in Canada, so rates were converted to Canadian dollars at that point in time
Sponsored

Last edited: