shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Eben if you run out of gas completely you can call roadside assistance/AAA/police etc and be able to get some gas in a can to fill your car with a couple gallons. All of this is not possible with EVs. Add that to the fact that charging to full takes 30 mins to 1 hour, and it could significantly impact the length of long road trips. I love EVs for daily commuting/errands, but I would still use our large SUV for a road trip, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Also, for people who can't charge at home (and have to pay for it), the cost of operation benefit evaporates...that is another problem that has to be solved for EVs to reach mass adoption, especially in urban areas.
A few years ago AAA was running a test in several cities where they would send out a mobile charger and essentially deliver a few KWh. Last year they dropped it. Reason? The service wasn't used.

The problem for apartment/condo people isn't the cost. Many apartment/condo complexes are installing chargers that are often free for residents.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
A few years ago AAA was running a test in several cities where they would send out a mobile charger and essentially deliver a few KWh. Last year they dropped it. Reason? The service wasn't used.

The problem for apartment/condo people isn't the cost. Many apartment/condo complexes are installing chargers that are often free for residents.
The chargers are being deployed faster and faster lately! We see some almost everywhere now!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
here is a good link for each state. Wow, some states are real high while others are low.
The area i live is very cheap.
^ The average residential electricity rate is, KY is 7.83¢/kWh.

https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/
My TOU rate is ¢5.23. That's from 8:00 PM to 3:00 PM weekdays and all day weekends and holidays (which strangely includes Cesar Chavez day). Having access to hydro power rocks!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
I wouldn't call a loss of functionality "stupidity". It's very real and very substantial, whether choosing to recognize it or not.

BEVs have both pros and cons vs ICE and PHEV. Significant ones, that consumers care about. We should at least be honest and acknowledge that.
I understand range anxiety. It is my wife's biggest argument against getting a MME.

Maybe because I grew up in Texas, but driving 2-4 hours on a day trip is not unusual. To visit my parents, it is a 208 mile one way trip and they only have a 120 volt outlet in their garage. Normally that is about 3 hours non-stop each way with almost all of it on freeways. That is not considered far. Now the return trip will have to include a stop at a charger. I'll adjust to that.

A day trip to Houston to tour some of our properties and back home can easily end up over 300+ miles. That has to be time added for a stop and recharge in there.

I am looking forward to the days where BEV have longer ranges or faster fill ups.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It comes down to plan plan plan plan ahead!!!

Price of electricity is also a major factor. Here in Quebec we have the cheapest rates in north america... That's an advantage

1606847576651.png

Comparison made in jan 2019.. made in Canada, so rates were converted to Canadian dollars at that point in time
is this raw cost (not taking into account utility delivery overhead etc., just pure consumption cost)? because if so, I've been paying a lot less than 7.13 (even taking into account CAD/USD) for the 20+ years I've lived in Ohio. I only ask because of the "cheapest rates in North America" thing...

I see people quoting rates on this site and I'm beside myself. I mean, here's what I'm paying right now, direct from my most recent bill:

Ford Mustang Mach-E News already bashing 1606852176135

people are really paying 20+ cents per KWH?!?

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Depends where you live, here in Quebec the current cost is 0.06$ (CAN) and that covers all costs, we don't have delivery and so on, this is all administered by one state company. 0.06$ is what we pay per kWh

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
The range anxiety is a real issue because it is presently much easier to fuel a car than to charge one. There are thousands of gas stations all over the place in all corners of the country such that it would be very difficult to actually run of of gas and be unable to get more. Eben if you run out of gas completely you can call roadside assistance/AAA/police etc and be able to get some gas in a can to fill your car with a couple gallons. All of this is not possible with EVs. Add that to the fact that charging to full takes 30 mins to 1 hour, and it could significantly impact the length of long road trips. I love EVs for daily commuting/errands, but I would still use our large SUV for a road trip, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Also, for people who can't charge at home (and have to pay for it), the cost of operation benefit evaporates...that is another problem that has to be solved for EVs to reach mass adoption, especially in urban areas.
Actually there is a company who is currently testing a new development. Every tow truck carries a battery so that if an EV runs dry you call a tow truck which is free in LA county and they plug in and give you power to get to the next EV charging location.

yes this is a democratic country so far and anyone can choose. Range anxiety exists due to the lack of education. There are plenty of places to charge. I live in SoCal and from here to Seattle there are LOTS. Is ICE easier?? Depends on your definition. Ice takes less time assuming you do not bother to alter your methodology about when to fill up. It also creates an extra bill to pay which is more due to the cost of electricity versus gas. As for apartments electricity is still cheaper than gas. It has also been proven that a BEV will get even higher range level if only used in city driving.

It is my opinion that you either accept BEV knowing that both technology and everything g that goes with it will be expanding astronomically for years to come. ICE is stagnant and it is what it is. I enjoy looking at the trees when driving instead of just seeing a forest. It is not a crazy concept that often times the journey is far more memorable than the destination.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
It comes down to plan plan plan plan ahead!!!

Price of electricity is also a major factor. Here in Quebec we have the cheapest rates in north america... That's an advantage

Comparison made in jan 2019.. made in Canada, so rates were converted to Canadian dollars at that point in time
EXACTLY!!!! Planning and actually thinking about all aspects is the new way to go.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My TOU rate is ¢5.23. That's from 8:00 PM to 3:00 PM weekdays and all day weekends and holidays (which strangely includes Cesar Chavez day). Having access to hydro power rocks!
On the other side, PSE&G in NJ gets 40% from nuclear, so my rate is around $.19/kwh. With solar (after the NJ energy credits) I'll be paying $.10 - $.12 /kwh.

Reactions: abr

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
is this raw cost (not taking into account utility delivery overhead etc., just pure consumption cost)? because if so, I've been paying a lot less than 7.13 (even taking into account CAD/USD) for the 20+ years I've lived in Ohio. I only ask because of the "cheapest rates in North America" thing...

I see people quoting rates on this site and I'm beside myself. I mean, here's what I'm paying right now, direct from my most recent bill:

people are really paying 20+ cents per KWH?!?
Yup! I pay about $0.25/kWh for supply & delivery.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Range anxiety exists due to the lack of education.
Well, that and reality.

Are the compromises sometimes overstated? Sure. But as we're seeing right here, they're also sometimes understated.

You're probably right that many routes in CA and up along the coast have pretty good charger coverage. But as frequently happens, that ignores all us people in flyover country (like, 80% of the land in the continental US). Most of the country doesn't have anywhere near the charger coverage you have in the coastal cities.

If "assuming you do not bother to alter your methodology about when to fill up" refers having to stop every 100 miles instead of 250 to refuel (for 30+ minutes each stop), then sure. That's kinda the whole issue. As long as no one cares about burning all that extra time, then it's a non-issue. But I think you'll find that many people do care, and will care.

Actually I shouldn't say that's the "whole" issue. The other issue is being able to get many places at all, because there's little to no charger coverage in so many places. That'll improve throughout the decade, of course, but there's a LOT of land in flyover country that the coastal folks often forget about.

BEVs are currently a good fit for SOME in the right situations. But there's still a long way to go to be a good fit for MOST.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
BEVs are currently a good fit for SOME in the right situations. But there's still a long way to go to be a good fit for MOST.
I would argue that BEVs are a good fit for MOST urban residents. It's just that MOST don't realize it yet.

I would expect BEVs to be a large inconvenience for many if not all rural residents.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would argue that BEVs are a good fit for MOST urban residents. It's just that MOST don't realize it yet.

I would expect BEVs to be a large inconvenience for many if not all rural residents.
I'd narrow that a little further to add "that have an easy place to charge overnight". For city people that live in apartments/condos/etc without a dependable place to charge nighly at cheap residential rates, the equation starts to shift significantly. Doesn't necessarily rule it out, but it wipes out the biggest advantage.
Sponsored