One Pedal Driving - do the brake lights come on when decelerating?

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Interesting info. I am going to a MME from a 2011 Chevy Volt (first year production at that). It didn't have one pedal mode but it did have a very aggressive L Mode on the shifter. I loved driving it that way. Based on my short test drive of a MME in one pedal mode, I would say the Volts L mode was a notch below one pedal mode (e.g., just a tad less aggressive as far as decelerating). Still, it was very obvious and made me feel like I was driving a manual again (I miss shifting down using a manual transmission). Anyway, back then this EV tech was still new and the early Volts did not have their brake lights come on while slowing down in L mode. Many of us early adopters sometimes would lightly put pressure on the brake pedal when slowing down aggresvilly in this mode when around heavy traffic, tailgaters etc. to just give warning to cars behind us. Still it was fun to slow down sometimes with brake lights not coming on. I figured some non car people figured I had a manual lol.

But this begs the question. Just how often do these brake lights come on while say cruising down the interstate. I find it very annoying to be behind any vehicle that is going 70+ mph and constantly hitting/riding their brakes. I immediately classify folks like that as having a lack of driving skills and try to stay away. Really hoping the MME is not that sensitive when I just want to coast and not decel quickly. Maybe there is another post on this somewhere.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Interesting info. I am going to a MME from a 2011 Chevy Volt (first year production at that). It didn't have one pedal mode but it did have a very aggressive L Mode on the shifter. I loved driving it that way. Based on my short test drive of a MME in one pedal mode, I would say the Volts L mode was a notch below one pedal mode (e.g., just a tad less aggressive as far as decelerating). Still, it was very obvious and made me feel like I was driving a manual again (I miss shifting down using a manual transmission). Anyway, back then this EV tech was still new and the early Volts did not have their brake lights come on while slowing down in L mode. Many of us early adopters sometimes would lightly put pressure on the brake pedal when slowing down aggresvilly in this mode when around heavy traffic, tailgaters etc. to just give warning to cars behind us. Still it was fun to slow down sometimes with brake lights not coming on. I figured some non car people figured I had a manual lol.

But this begs the question. Just how often do these brake lights come on while say cruising down the interstate. I find it very annoying to be behind any vehicle that is going 70+ mph and constantly hitting/riding their brakes. I immediately classify folks like that as having a lack of driving skills and try to stay away. Really hoping the MME is not that sensitive when I just want to coast and not decel quickly. Maybe there is another post on this somewhere.
On the expressway use Whisper mode with 1PD off. You’ll coast without the brake lights coming on.