One Pedal Drive: how do brake lights work?

alroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Standard w/ AWD
Country flag
Been a heavy user of the one pedal drive feature so far. Curious about the brake lights though. Do they come on as soon as I let off the accelerator slightly? Do they come on AT ALL?
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Depends on g-forces as your slowing. I recommend going to find a dark road and watching your mirror as you slow down. It’s pretty intuitive. Brake lights come in when slowing down fairly quickly, like when you take your foot all the way off the accelerator ie a fairly high negative g load. The don’t come on as you slowly release the accelerator, slow down gently, low negative g-load.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
We followed a Mach E on the San Diego Freeway through west L.A. last Saturday. It was heavy stop and go traffic. The brake light on the Mach E almost never came on. I surmised that the driver was using 1-pedal driving because he was following pretty close to the vehicle in front of him, which is normal in this type of driving, and even when he came almost to a stop the brake light seldom came on, just at the very end when he came to a complete stop. And he was not just "drifting" to a stop, the car was dramatically slowing down.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
We followed a Mach E on the San Diego Freeway through west L.A. last Saturday. It was heavy stop and go traffic. The brake light on the Mach E almost never came on. I surmised that the driver was using 1-pedal driving because he was following pretty close to the vehicle in front of him, which is normal in this type of driving, and even when he came almost to a stop the brake light seldom came on, just at the very end when he came to a complete stop. And he was not just "drifting" to a stop, the car was dramatically slowing down.
that sounds like two pedal driving to me. All of the modes with the exception of whisper slow down pretty aggressively. I could see not bothering to use the brake in those mode with two pedal driving.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
that sounds like two pedal driving to me. All of the modes with the exception of whisper slow down pretty aggressively. I could see not bothering to use the brake in those mode with two pedal driving.
I'd agree here. And assume in 1-pd the MME is using an accelerometer feature/app linke used in your smartphone. So not coming on for minor decelerations.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Brake lights come on quite a bit when 1-P is on--just drive around at night and look in the mirror occasionally.

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitter…and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
I would love to know if I am driving folks behind me crazy and would love to have feedback that shows threshold for brake lights. I now use 1 pedal for every aspect of highway and city street driving. Makes for a very smooth existence. I love it but do the drivers around me?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I would love to know if I am driving folks behind me crazy and would love to have feedback that shows threshold for brake lights. I now use 1 pedal for every aspect of highway and city street driving. Makes for a very smooth existence. I love it but do the drivers around me?
I think that's why you have to get used to timing it and also applying very little force to keep your car going when coming up to a light that was ill timed rather than go, stop, go, stop. I've seen MMEs and Teslas, I don't see their brake lights going nuts, so I think its probably implemented very well.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
I think brake lights in the way they work is pretty outdated.. it just needs more features.

When driving in 1 pedal drive or/and when driving on cruise control there is a limit on how much brake force required to illuminate brake lights. In theory it should only illuminate when actually slowing down, not just "keeping the speed" during slight downhill driving. It will however illuminate quite often, very often for like 1/5 of a second when relasing the accelerator and adjusting..

When driving in L-mode however, even with full regen braking, it will never illuminate the brake lights as far as I can see, so driving with L mode on without 1-pedal drive means full regen brake force with no illumination of brake lights at all!

Regardless of mode, pressing the brake pedal will always illuminate brake lights. This part is pretty outdated, because it just creates so much noise.. on all cars, including ICE cars (in my opinion). Driving in whisper mode and D-mode means brake lights all the time!
Sponsored