mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
That is not correct. 100% displayed is about 96% actual.
I agree. But I was curious about the warnings from the engineer friend and if he meant 90% SOC, or 90% SOCD.

BTW - I charge my phone when it gets to 40% and stop charging when it hits 80%. Same principle, except I am assuming 100% SOCD is actually 100% SOC on my phone. I suppose Samsung could also have a buffer at the top and bottom.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I charge my tablet and phone to 100% daily.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I agree. But I was curious about the warnings from the engineer friend and if he meant 90% SOC, or 90% SOCD.

BTW - I charge my phone when it gets to 40% and stop charging when it hits 80%. Same principle, except I am assuming 100% SOCD is actually 100% SOC on my phone. I suppose Samsung could also have a buffer at the top and bottom.
It probably varies by device. The larger the battery the more allowance there is for additional buffer space. I presume that is because it's all measured by volts and not actual physical capacity.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
This is purely speculation on my end, but I would think the max charge percentages in the guidelines from the battery engineer are true state of charge. Different manufacturers employ different solutions. Unless he was speaking about the MME in particular. Also, the way Ford engineered these vehicles seems to have met those guidelines in “worst case” scenario of the owner charging to 100% SOCD (92% actual) and depleting to 5% I believe is an actual ~8% true SOC. So if you follow Ford’s recommendations on max charge (90% SOCD) you’re really only charging to ~82% or so and I doubt many people drive down to <10% (~13% actual) regularly, but I could be wrong there.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I agree with these I want to add one more - Don't charge a freezing battery (below 32ÂşF/0ÂşC). The Mach-E should try to warm up the battery first with L2 charging but it's a consideration if you are trying to L1 or DCFC in cold weather. L1 doesn't heat the battery, and DCFC should not be attempted until the pack has had some time to warm up while driving.
Your battery temperature is displayed on dash? If not how do you know how well it is warming while driving when it is below zero F?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Your battery temperature is displayed on dash? If not how do you know how well it is warming while driving when it is below zero F?
OBD2 device and CarScanner app.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I charge my tablet and phone to 100% daily.
I've had to replace a phone battery, too. I'd rather not have to replace a car HVB.

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350, Bronco, Bronco Sport
Occupation
Lake Geneva Ziplines and Adventures Managing Director
Country flag
Curious - is that SOC displayed (SOCD), or true SOC? We have a 99 kWH battery, but we are only using 91 kWH of it. So if I charge to 100% SOCD, it is actually pretty close to 90% SOC. And it is not possible for us to charge the MME to 100% SOC.
Th' engineer was looking at my MME GT and recommended to not exceed 90% SOCD, not SOC calculated. Don't overthink it.

The suggestion is to be an advocate to get nearest to 45-65% for all uses. Obviously, many will want to and need to get closer to 0-100% for some uses.

The key here is not to hang in the 80 - 100% range or the 0-20% range for long, or as a regular plan.

Use in the 45-65 is the ideal, and anything outside of that is going to happen, but is less favored.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I did not pay $60k to become a slave to my car's battery maintenance. Count me with those who say "Just enjoy the car." Life is short.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Th' engineer was looking at my MME GT and recommended to not exceed 90% SOCD, not SOC calculated. Don't overthink it.

The suggestion is to be an advocate to get nearest to 45-65% for all uses. Obviously, many will want to and need to get closer to 0-100% for some uses.

The key here is not to hang in the 80 - 100% range or the 0-20% range for long, or as a regular plan.

Use in the 45-65 is the ideal, and anything outside of that is going to happen, but is less favored.
Yes, yes. I understand all of that. I asked the question because there is a difference between SOCD and SOC, and some don't understand that. And the original post about the engineer didn't specify.

I always charge to 90% SOCD when local driving and 100% when going out of town. I am not worried or concerned, and I will let it go down to 5% if I need to. In 11 months of ownership, I have never needed to.

I don't like to arrive at 5% anyway because that means I don't have any capacity to go anywhere until I charge first. I don't like that at all. So avoiding going below 10% has nothing to do with battery health for me, and everything to do with driving range when I arrive at my destination.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Isn’t 91/98 [extended battery] less than 93%?
Yes. But you are talking about usable capacity and we are talking about state of charge. When the EX pack is showing 100% displayed the actual state of charge is around 96%. That is beacuase the lower end buffer remains charged at all times.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes, yes. I understand all of that. I asked the question because there is a difference between SOCD and SOC, and some don't understand that. And the original post about the engineer didn't specify.

I always charge to 90% SOCD when local driving and 100% when going out of town. I am not worried or concerned, and I will let it go down to 5% if I need to. In 11 months of ownership, I have never needed to.

I don't like to arrive at 5% anyway because that means I don't have any capacity to go anywhere until I charge first. I don't like that at all. So avoiding going below 10% has nothing to do with battery health for me, and everything to do with driving range when I arrive at my destination.
And to add to that....if your car is 88 kWh usable then 5% displayed is really about 11% actual so even less to be concerned about since most of us plug in as soon as we park anyway.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And to add to that....if your car is 88 kWh usable then 5% displayed is really about 11% actual so even less to be concerned about since most of us plug in as soon as we park anyway.
Back in Feb I got the update that increased capacity to 91 kWh. If you are up to date in FDRS (Feb or later), you also have 91 kWh.

Edit: the additional 3 kWh is below 0% SOCD apparently.

Last edited:

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
No one on on a long trip has time to wait until the battery to cool down before charging, nor can not use DCFC.
Sponsored