ceejay

First Name
Cyril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CR-V, Honda Odyssey
Country flag
Hi, I put in the $500 deposit on 11/18/2019 for a AWD Performance model. Yesterday I received an email from the local dealer saying "Order placed. Thrills ahead." Another $500 is taken from my credit card. They did not contact me before doing that. Is this the normal process? Will I still be able to cancel the order if I do not want a Mach-E? (I am waiting for for some real world reviews from those who drive it in Wisconsin-like winters before deciding whether to buy it). Thanks.
Sponsored

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
Most of us who put down the reservation deposit had it refunded by Ford around the same time as the dealer took their deposit. But you should have needed to actually convert the reservation to an order yourself; the dealer shouldn't have been able to do that themselves.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Hi, I put in the $500 deposit on 11/18/2019 for a AWD Performance model. Yesterday I received an email from the local dealer saying "Order placed. Thrills ahead." Another $500 is taken from my credit card. They did not contact me before doing that. Is this the normal process? Will I still be able to cancel the order if I do not want a Mach-E? (I am waiting for for some real world reviews from those who drive it in Wisconsin-like winters before deciding whether to buy it). Thanks.
No that doesn't sound normal to me.

Check your reservations page to see what they ordered and what was the pricing for it, etc.: https://www.ford.com/buy/reservations/#/

Then contact your dealer and complain. They shouldn't do that without asking you. At the bare minimum, you must make them confirm that the deposit is fully refundable should you not want the ordered vehicle for any reason.

If you don't want to continue working with that dealer, make them refund the order and I think I'd also complain to Ford about it (800-392-3673).

OP
OP

ceejay

First Name
Cyril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Most of us who put down the reservation deposit had it refunded by Ford around the same time as the dealer took their deposit. But you should have needed to actually convert the reservation to an order yourself; the dealer shouldn't have been able to do that themselves.
Thank you. Good to know. I'll keep an eye on my credit card activity.

OP
OP

ceejay

First Name
Cyril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Check your reservations page to see what they ordered and what was the pricing for it, etc.: https://www.ford.com/buy/reservations/#/

Then contact your dealer and complain. They shouldn't do that without asking you. At the bare minimum, you must make them confirm that the deposit is fully refundable should you not want the ordered vehicle for any reason.

If you don't want to continue working with that dealer, make them refund the order and I think I'd also complain to Ford about it (800-392-3673).
Thank you. I'll

Thank you! I'll contact the dealer on Monday.

OP
OP

ceejay

First Name
Cyril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My bad. I looked at the credit card account again and saw that it's actually a $500 credit back to my account from 'Mustang Mach-E Giddyup Dearborn MI'. When I saw the dealer's email and the credit card activity, I concluded they took another $500. I apologize for the confusion. Glad I did not call the dealer and complained. Will call them and ask what the procedure is. Thanks.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My order was converted by my dealer.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No, it shouldn't be normal. However, you're not the first person to have a dealer "automatically" convert their reservation to an order for them.

An honest mistake? Maybe.
A sleazy dealer move? Probably.

What now?
Step 1: I don't understand how they could have possibly charged your credit card without your permission. I recommend you contact the dealer and your credit card company to let them know you did not authorize this charge. You should either get this refunded or have the charge denied.

Your reservation has been converted. You may not be able to change that. However, you have every right to either take the car when it arrives or say no. Your dealer is counting on this. They either get a sale to you or they can put the car you don't want on the market with significant ADM.

Step 2: Contact Ford. Let them know your dealer did this without your authorization. Such sleazy behavior should have consequences.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My bad. I looked at the credit card account again and saw that it's actually a $500 credit back to my account from 'Mustang Mach-E Giddyup Dearborn MI'. When I saw the dealer's email and the credit card activity, I concluded they took another $500. I apologize for the confusion. Glad I did not call the dealer and complained. Will call them and ask what the procedure is. Thanks.
OK, good. Scratch my comments regarding the credit card. Sleazy dealer comments still apply.

DealerInsider

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
chapmannewcars.com
Vehicles
GT500
Country flag
But you should have needed to actually convert the reservation to an order yourself; the dealer shouldn't have been able to do that themselves.
We can "process offline" to convert the reservation to the order...it takes about 15-20 minutes to show up in WBDO (the order bank)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My experience was: I made the reservation and Ford Motor Company took a $500 deposit. At the time my reservation was converted to an Order, a $500 deposit was taken for my dealer and pretty much simultaneously, a $500 refund was made by a merchant called Mustang Mach E Giddy-Up (or something like that). At the end of the day, I have never been "out" more than $500 at any time.
Sponsored