OTA really in last place?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
It's a hit piece. Ford didn't have it until now and they have no data on it, so any grade is ludicrous.
The fact just getting started. Like saying one has 5 Ev cars and another has 1. Yes, you started first you going to have more. Sillyness written article.

Well, Jeff is 18 and been reading for 18 years. been is 5 and been readying for 3 years. who can read better? I mean really?

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Is this a hit piece or will it be far behind? OTA ranking
That depends on whether you think an old school stock broker/analyst and a recent college graduate whose past qualification is running a lawn business are qualified to make that "ranking".

"The above report card doesn’t show the full extent of legacy auto’s OTA shortcomings. Today, most automaker’s OTA updates improve a vehicle’s infotainment system (maps, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth compatibility), which, in our view, does not add material value to a vehicle. On the other hand, Tesla’s OTA updates improve infotainment systems, along with range, autonomy features, braking/acceleration functions, and safety systems."

Counterpoint: automobiles had existed long before Tesla came along, the powertrain in ICE vehicles are well understood, and personally I prefer the software updates to leave it alone. My Honda minivan has received a few OTA updates over the last three years, most were installed while I was driving precisely because it had no impact on the powertrain.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
That depends on whether you think an old school stock broker/analyst and a recent college graduate whose past qualification is running a lawn business are qualified to make that "ranking".

"The above report card doesn’t show the full extent of legacy auto’s OTA shortcomings. Today, most automaker’s OTA updates improve a vehicle’s infotainment system (maps, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth compatibility), which, in our view, does not add material value to a vehicle. On the other hand, Tesla’s OTA updates improve infotainment systems, along with range, autonomy features, braking/acceleration functions, and safety systems."

Counterpoint: automobiles had existed long before Tesla came along, the powertrain in ICE vehicles are well understood, and personally I prefer the software updates to leave it alone. My Honda minivan has received a few OTA updates over the last three years, most were installed while I was driving precisely because it had no impact on the powertrain.
It's not just the powertrain changes and infotainment. A lot of recalls are SW upates to different car modules. Definately looking forward to vising the dealer less for recalls.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Counterpoint - Ford has been building cars for over a hundred years. They have had dozens of models over that time. In there 10K filing they talk a lot about building cars.

Tesla has only recently begun to build cars. They mention building cars far less than Ford in their 10K. They have only recently started building cars that don't have bad panel gaps, bad paint, and suspension failures. (UPDATE: They still have bad panel gaps, paint, suspension.)

Building cars grades:
Ford - A
Tesla - F

Popeye

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Taurus
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Is this a hit piece or will it be far behind? OTA ranking
It's like grading a kid to be a D when they walk through the door of first grade and telling them they have to work to bring up their grade. Give me a break!

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I liked the bit about expecting 40-50% growth in sales to continue for the next few years and 35% FSD take rate.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
It's a hit piece BUT I have a 2018 Escape Titanium with Sync 3 which features "OTA updates" and I have to be honest, the OTA update feature of Sync 3 ... leaves something to be desired. For example, you still have to manually load map updates via USB (even if the car can connect to your home wifi). They could have been referring to the existing Sync 3 system capabilities, which are not as good as the upcoming Sync 4A capabilities.