Over The air update for 2021 MMEs to increase usage of battery

CAroute-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
Since 2022 model using the same battery, but has an increase of usage. Will there be an OTA update to our 2021 to get the increase of usage? Are there reports about that?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
No reports of OTA range increases that I know of. Sure hope Ford doesn't do anything like that to my car. Range is fine. More than enough actually. I prefer they leave my battery capacity strategy alone. If it isn't broke.....

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Answer is yes. Several threads on this. Increase in usable portion of battery and increase in fast charging limit before it slows.

EVInsider video over a month ago posted in multiple threads where Darren Palmer states this.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
We've been through this before: Darren Palmer stated that they were considering doing this. It is not definite and certainly not available in 2022's as of yet. Yes, I would expect them to update the 21's also if they do it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The 2022s are advertised with a 91kW battery. Pretty clearly all 2022s will have this capacity at least, who knows what the end of 2022 will bring.

Darren Palmer states in the video:

"we're going to change the top charge point let's say nearer 90%". - 17:30 into the video "for the winter season". Currently it's at 80% and then slows with a DC charger.

Of course he also says Blue Cruise in September and October, and October ends in 4 days.

He says "and you're going to get range improvements... the good stuff's coming now towards the end of the year".

My interpretation of is comments is that he's going to raise the battery to 91kw usable.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I think there was a more recent review where it was stated that someone at ford confirmed this OTA. Maybe wishful thinking. In any case, they have been so slow on these updates, could be a while.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The 2022s are advertised with a 91kW battery. Pretty clearly all 2022s will have this capacity at least, who knows what the end of 2022 will bring.

"we're going to change the top charge point let's say nearer 90%". - 17:30 into the video "for the winter season". Currently it's at 80% and then slows with a DC charger.

Of course he also says Blue Cruise in September and October, and October ends in 4 days.

He says "and you're going to get range improvements... the good stuff's coming now towards the end of the year".

My interpretation of is comments is that he's going to raise the battery to 91kw usable.
“The winter season” ends March 19, 2022. And I believe Ford’s latest statement on BlueCruise was “Fall”, which ends December 20, I believe. I think we should stop referring to that video as authoritative. The information in it is clearly out-of-date.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Also, if you listen to Kyle Connor's discussion of the GT launch in this episode, he talks about discussions he had with Darren Palmer at the event. Kyle's statement is that Darren confirmed the battery software updates will come out OTA to earlier cars as well.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Also, if you listen to Kyle Connor's discussion of the GT launch in this episode, he talks about discussions he had with Darren Palmer at the event. Kyle's statement is that Darren confirmed the battery software updates will come out OTA to earlier cars as well.
I was going to complain about an annoying echo and give up, but the echo cleaned up. All of the freaking commercials and plugs in these videos are so annoying. I skimmed through to the GTPE review and, I’ll admit I didn’t have the patience to listen to the whole thing (I prefer reading to watching YouTube videos), but in my skimming, the only reference I heard to Darren Palmer was a statement that the reviewer was somehow disappointed with the GTPE Unbridled Extended interface and a noncommittal response from Darren that it may be addressed by OTA in the future. Do you happen to have the time stamp where Darren says (or is quoted as saying) existing Mustang Mach Es will have their battery capacity increased?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

"For the winter season"? What does that mean? Is that just for those that have a winter season? To me that implies Ford wants to increase usable capacity for battery packs in cold climates because it is safer to do that during the winter. But what about those of us in the southern states?

I really don't want Darren changing the charge percent limits of my car without my permission. I realize that behind the scenes the upper end buffer will eventually be consumed to compensate for actual measured degredation of the usable capacity and that is fine. Ford promised 88kWh usable or a percentage of for a specified period of time/use. Allocating the buffer is their way of keeping that promise.

I hope range improvements are limited to software changes that make the drivetrain more efficient. That would be fine. I guess it is a fine line when it comes to "improvements". In my opinion, EVERY time you make a change.....all you are doing is trading one problem for another. It is always give and take. The idea is to trade up so you are giving up a large problem in exchange of a smaller one. I don't want to pay the price for an extra 3% of usable range. That is only 9 miles.....hardly worth the effort IMO.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Go beyond that point - at that 17:00 point he is talking about the dropoff in DCFC charging at 80%, and letting THAT go to "90" - as in 90% before the significant drop in charge speed. At 19:00 into it is when he starts talking about increasing "the EPA range" - as in the battery's usable size.

We already went through this last month

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right. And you say it isn't definitive and I say it is, so we disagree. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: